What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clubs should be allowed to be invited into Super league

The Daddy3

Juniors
That's not to say that we should do away with promotion/relegation. I propose a two track system. Promotion/Relegation as standard, however if there is a club which could immediately contribute to the commercial value and overall health of the sport then SL should be allowed to invite that club to be fast tracked into the competition.

Yes, I believe both means of elevation to Super League can exist side by side. In the scenario that you have a two track system, promotion/relegation will guarantee you a place in the league through on field performance. Therefore the door to SL will not be closed to any club that earns it.

On the same note I do feel that the sport should be able to move much quicker to accommodate clubs with good governance that bring value to the sport. The two which spring to mind immediately are Newcastle and Toulouse, the sport stands to gain massively by inviting both entities into the SL comp. In Newcastle's case they would bring interest and eyeballs onto the sport from the heavily populated north east region, they have a strong academy system which produces players and would produce even more top players with the exposure that SL would bring. Added to that they have a very good management group and a top class stadium. Rugby League in the North East and nationally would benefit from their addition.

Toulouse have demonstrated for years that they have a competent management group, it's a huge city with a thriving business economy, adding them wouldcontribute to the health of the french national team, providing them with more players and give them an opportunity to be natural competitors to England RL. Their addition would add value to the competition in the french tv market where I feel that just one club is not going to get tv stations to pay a tv deal to screen SL.

We need to start thinking outside the box, there is more than one way to do things and this is a good blend and mix of the benefits of franchising and the jeopardy of promotion/relegation that some people love.

Pommy

Coach
So you fast track them in to SL what happens if they get relegated?
You can’t in my opinion have a system where some teams get relegated whilst others don’t. The paying fans in England want a system of promotion and relegation.

hutch

First Grade
I would be happier with a 14 team super league, with 26 rounds, 1 up and 1 down via a playoff game (or automatic if that’s not possible).

Only other option is a euro/NA division and an English division with cross divisional games, lower league teams can be promoted to the English division. I can’t see this ever happening though.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Or we could stop making ourselves look stupid and actually have a league system that we keep in place for more than a couple of years!

NRLMad

Juniors
Or we could stop making ourselves look stupid and actually have a league system that we keep in place for more than a couple of years!
I have always wondered this. What if Perth joined super league? I think it could work well. I’m not having a crack just wanted to know what your thoughts were.

I think nrl should expand and include bris2 and Perth next or Wellington.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I have always wondered this. What if Perth joined super league? I think it could work well. I’m not having a crack just wanted to know what your thoughts were.

I think nrl should expand and include bris2 and Perth next or Wellington.

In years to come it wouldn't be out of question but time difference and flight time makes it unworkable at the moment. If they ever get a direct flight to Manchester down to around 12-13 hours then it becomes more feasible.

When we had a group of business men leading our bid they got very frustrated at NRL lack of action and did actually seriously consider it. I heard the plan was to play games in blocks of 4 between Perth and UK or to base the team in the UK for most of the season.

Interestingly not long after this story broke the NRL gave the WARL board an ultimatum to be taken over by the NRL or lose its funding!

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/west-coast-pirates-may-play-in-english-league-20121110-294vr.html

Last edited:

NRLMad

Juniors
In years to come it wouldn't be out of question but time difference and flight time makes it unworkable at the moment. If they ever get a direct flight to Manchester down to around 12-13 hours then it becomes more feasible.

When we had a group of business men leading our bid they got very frustrated at NRL lack of action and did actually seriously consider it. I heard the plan was to play games in blocks of 4 between Perth and UK or to base the team in the UK for most of the season.

Interestingly not long after this story broke the NRL gave the WARL board an ultimatum to be taken over by the NRL or lose its funding!

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/west-coast-pirates-may-play-in-english-league-20121110-294vr.html
Fairly obvious that Perth will be included with Brisbane 2. The tv rights would make it worth the investment easily. This would increase our current deal to be in alignment with afl I’m thinking. We have more upside as I presume the internationals will be separated and sold off independently. Which would be good for the game as wE need funding for IRL