What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clubs up in arms over Inglis transfer

Mr Spock!

Referee
Seems like Broncos are getting a helping hand.

<H1 class="cN-headingPage prepend-5 span-11 last">Clubs up in arms over talk of Inglis transfer to Broncos
BRAD WALTER AND GREG PRICHARD

July 12, 2010
greg_inglis-420x0.jpg
On the move?. . . Greg Inglis. Photo: Getty Images

RIVAL NRL clubs are set to oppose any move that allows News Ltd to subsidise the transfer of star centre Greg Inglis from the Melbourne Storm to the media organisation's Brisbane team.
As the league world awaits the findings of a News audit, expected to be released tomorrow and expected to detail the extent of the Storm's salary cap breaches, Inglis has been linked with a move to the Broncos.
Brisbane officials, however, admit they can not afford to take over his $650,000-per-season contract.

Melbourne officials also insist that they have no intention of topping up any contracts offered by rival clubs for their star quartet of Inglis, Cameron Smith, Billy Slater and Cooper Cronk, and have formulated a plan that could involve releasing up to 10 other players to keep the big four.
The Storm are expected to come under increased pressure to release at least one one of the foursome after the results of the 12-week Deloitte investigation and there are fears that Inglis could be transferred from one News-owned club to another, with the Murdoch empire to pay the difference between his current contract and what the Broncos can offer him.
With News being a 50 per cent shareholder in the NRL, the move would again raise further conflict of interest questions over the media company's involvement in the game.
At least one CEO from a rival club is understood to have already raised his objection to such a move. Other clubs would also be unhappy that the Storm would ease their salary-cap woes by releasing a player to Brisbane when they are waiting for others to come on to the market.
All clubs will get a clearer picture of exactly who the Storm have to cut to get under the $4.2 million cap for 2011 when News announces the results of the Deloitte audit at a press conference in Sydney that has been tentatively scheduled for tomorrow.
The announcement will follow today's appearance in the Victorian Supreme Court by lawyers representing the Storm's four independent directors, who are taking action against the NRL over the severity of the penalties against the the club and how they were imposed.
It is believed both parties would now be happy for the matter to be expedited and hearing dates in August could be set today, enabling a decision to be reached before the end of the regular season so as not to jeopardise the NRL finals.
One of the four independent directors, Gerry Ryan, has been linked to moves before news of the salary cap scandal broke in April to buy the club from News. The media group had wanted to shed its financial interest in Melbourne by the time it hands over control of the game to an independent commission.
News also had shareholdings in Canberra and North Queensland as a result of the Super League war, but has wanted to reduce, eventually, its interest to one club.
However, the report of Deloitte's forensic audit into the financial affairs of the Storm is unlikely to make the club an attractive proposition for any buyer.
News's head of corporate affairs, Greg Baxter, said last night the release would be ''very detailed'', adding: ''We received the report in the past week, and we've been checking a few things with our lawyers. A few more things will be checked tomorrow, and it is increasingly likely that we'll call a media conference on Tuesday.''
He added: ''There are no plans by News to hold anything back, unless there is something we can't release because there would be legal consequences to us doing so.
''The report can't be released in its original form, because it is legally privileged, but there will be an extensive written summary distributed to the media.''
</H1>

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Who couldn't see this coming :sarcasm: This is just a right pocket, left pocket switch from News to protect their investments... Add on the $250K Sally Robinson will collect to answer phones and it will be business as usual.

petetheileet

First Grade
What a f**king joke.....

nothing being learned out of this scummy debacle!!!

If this happens i will be f**king furios!!!!!

Noa

First Grade
The moral of this story is do not trust NEWS over any issue and that includes the Storm fiasco. The sooner the Clubs stand up for the game the better off we'll be....but most of them are sheep.

lockyrulz

Juniors
Ok fine, but who is going to pay 650 000 a season for Inglis then?

I'd rather him go to the dogs then AFL.

Paullyboy

Coach
Ok fine, but who is going to pay 650 000 a season for Inglis then?

I'd rather him go to the dogs then AFL.

I'm in the exact same boat. I do not want to see Inglis go to the Broncos, they already have so much bloody talent stockpiled there - however I'd take it anyday of the week over him going to the UK or another code.

legend

Coach
I find it a little ironic a Dragons and Roosters fan questioning this whole process after the Dragons were allowed to get gasnier on the cheap and the Roosters, well the less said the better.

seanoff

Juniors
As long as he stays in the NRL I don't care where or how he goes.

idiot. what's next, Thurston unhappy in Townsville, send him to Brisbane too?

completely destroys the competition if Inglis goes to Brisbane and just ignores the cap on the way past. If i was a CEO of another club i would take News and the NRL to court, i suspect that the club would win, handily.

Canard

Immortal
Its for family reasons.

Just like how Nathan Brown was returning to Australia for "family reasons" than every club in the NRL went "No thanks".

Suddenly family isn't an issue and he has re-signed for more years in the North of England.

lockyrulz

Juniors
idiot. what's next, Thurston unhappy in Townsville, send him to Brisbane too?

completely destroys the competition if Inglis goes to Brisbane and just ignores the cap on the way past. If i was a CEO of another club i would take News and the NRL to court, i suspect that the club would win, handily.

So whats your solution then Einstein?

The Melbourne situation is unique. We either find unique solutions or watch players leave to ESL or union.

And anyone like spock who thinks this is a good thing, are examples of the utterly useless, brainless wankers who consistently hold the game back.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Who the hell would want Greg Inglis anyway,he only plays 4 good NRL games a season,FACT,he is hardly ever sighted at club level.

DRAGONZ_RULE

Coach
I find it a little ironic a Dragons and Roosters fan questioning this whole process after the Dragons were allowed to get gasnier on the cheap and the Roosters, well the less said the better.
I wonder how many more people continue to think that Gasnier has come "on the cheap" ... lol.

He is being paid $120,000 this season ... he has been signed to play from Round 17 onwards, which means he has already missed 2/3rds of the season. If you actually multiply that money out across the entirety of an NRL season, he would be earning $360,000 this year.

But apparently you seem to think that he should be paid $400,000 to play 8 games :crazy:

Joker's Wild

Coach
The only people in this scenario who care if Inglis buggers off to Union/AFL/ESL are Broncos and Qld fans as they will be denied a strike weapon for next year.

Stop pretending you think it will be so bad for the game is he leaves.

Big Pete

Referee
Yep, because losing another quality player (perhaps the most talented) to another competition is a-okay.