What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clubs up in arms over Inglis transfer

I find it a little ironic a Dragons and Roosters fan questioning this whole process after the Dragons were allowed to get gasnier on the cheap and the Roosters, well the less said the better.

This post has nothing but jealousy and bitterness all over it.

Johns Magic

Referee
The only people in this scenario who care if Inglis buggers off to Union/AFL/ESL are Broncos and Qld fans as they will be denied a strike weapon for next year.

Stop pretending you think it will be so bad for the game is he leaves.

Gotta say I will definitely miss watching Greg Inglis if he goes to another code or country. Just like I've missed seeing SBW play since he left.

Undoubtedly the most naturally gifted back and forward I've ever seen.

Mr Spock!

Referee
So whats your solution then Einstein?

The Melbourne situation is unique. We either find unique solutions or watch players leave to ESL or union.

And anyone like spock who thinks this is a good thing, are examples of the utterly useless, brainless wankers who consistently hold the game back.

Maybe because some of us have been following this game for over 35 years and are sick of this c**p. Players come and go. Rugby league will not die because a few overpaid superstars went looking elsewhere and to skew our competition so rich clubs can be even more successful and denying other clubs by blatantly manipulating the salary cap makes fans who aren't Broncos cynical of the whole system. That's more of a threat to the game.

lockyrulz

Juniors
And I'm sick od self interested clubs and their fans continually finding 'solutions' by lowering the bar ever further.

Game first, club second. Or get used to following union Mediterranean Descendant ball or AFL.

seanoff

Juniors
So whats your solution then Einstein?

The Melbourne situation is unique. We either find unique solutions or watch players leave to ESL or union.

And anyone like spock who thinks this is a good thing, are examples of the utterly useless, brainless wankers who consistently hold the game back.

It's up to Mel to sort out who they want, sign those players and whoever is left out finds a new club, the same way all other players do.

merely transferring a player to another club without regard to the rules of the comp is unfair and stupid. Say Manly lose Matai and another and have 450K to spend, they want inglis but because Brisbane have been allowed to just have him, they have no hope.

It's up to the clubs if they want to put a large chunk of the cap on one player, you make your choice and take your chances.

If Brisbane want him, lose some players (Thaiday) and bid on the open market with everyone else. You don't have a god given right to players. or have 4 big contracts, Hannant, Thaiday, Inlgis, Lockyer, 2 high - mid level Hodges and Wallace and 19 guys made up of Timmah, El Diablo, Perth Red, etc.

lockyrulz

Juniors
Self interested you say...

Yep. And it applies to all clubs, broncos included.

Put it this way, if the roosters can persuade a dozen high profile union players to join their ranks, and that leads to two roosters premierships, id cop it.

The bonus to the game itself would far outweigh anything else.

lockyrulz

Juniors
It's up to Mel to sort out who they want, sign those players and whoever is left out finds a new club, the same way all other players do.

merely transferring a player to another club without regard to the rules of the comp is unfair and stupid. Say Manly lose Matai and another and have 450K to spend, they want inglis but because Brisbane have been allowed to just have him, they have no hope.

It's up to the clubs if they want to put a large chunk of the cap on one player, you make your choice and take your chances.

If Brisbane want him, lose some players (Thaiday) and bid on the open market with everyone else. You don't have a god given right to players. or have 4 big contracts, Hannant, Thaiday, Inlgis, Lockyer, 2 high - mid level Hodges and Wallace and 19 guys made up of Timmah, El Diablo, Perth Red, etc.

Again, who is going to pay 650 000 a season for a centre? That is 150 000 more than Lockyer is on. No club with half a brain will agree to that contract.

beads6

First Grade
idiot. what's next, Thurston unhappy in Townsville, send him to Brisbane too?

completely destroys the competition if Inglis goes to Brisbane and just ignores the cap on the way past. If i was a CEO of another club i would take News and the NRL to court, i suspect that the club would win, handily.

What is the difference between having Folau or Inglis??? We lost Folau we replace him with Inglis big deal. Get over it just because the Broncos are a club that can actually attract talent.

seanoff

Juniors
What is the difference between having Folau or Inglis??? We lost Folau we replace him with Inglis big deal. Get over it just because the Broncos are a club that can actually attract talent.

Hannant??? already coming.

user_nat

Coach
Hannant??? already coming.

If we were at the cap this year I can see why gaining Inglis and Hannant and only losing Folau would set off some alarms, but I very much doubt we are any where near the cap this year (considering the 09 losses).

kiwii

Juniors
Id say the teams who finish outside the 8 go into a lottery, who ever gets drawn pays Inglis 400k per year and the Storm (news) top up his contract.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
They could probably fit him in. Cap increase next year. Marquee player third party allowance.

Melbourne will end up footing about 150k of it I reckon. If someone wants to pay 500k for GI, then thats up to them. Without a draft, he can go whrever he wants. Don't be a hater because thats not your club.

Lots of sour grapes in here when their should not be. We should all have accepted by now that our game is still run on a par with the Friday night chook raffle.

No offence to all the chook rafflers out there.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Id say the teams who finish outside the 8 go into a lottery, who ever gets drawn pays Inglis 400k per year and the Storm (news) top up his contract.

Its a great idea in principle, but then you are introducing a draft, which RL has attempted. It only works if all parties are complicit and we are too far down the path of unrestricted free agancy to go back. It doesn't stand up in court as has been proven twice in the games hitory - Tutty & Hill.

In any case, you would then be open to tanking, which, in spite of the spin form AFL HQ, is rife when priority picks in the draft are at stake.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I thought Melbourne would release Slater first, seeing as how they have Widdop in NSW Cup who is more than capable of replacing him.

Of the 4 big name players they have, Slater is the only one who the Storm could replace tomorrow and not affect the side too greatly.