What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cnetral Coast Bears - the Momentum Builds and Builds

siv

First Grade
Overall I am concerned at how RL will grow beyond the 18 team mark

The only real growth after that i to stragicly move towards a 1 Round comp structure (if you do not introduce 2 divisions)

with the following teams all a good chance of being a viable NRL team
- CC Bears
- SW Brisbane
- Central Qld
- Perth
- Adelaide
- Wellington NZ
- N Brisbane
- PNG

So longer term if you choose expansion

24 teams - 23 rounds

Top 12 Super Rounds system
Week 1 - 1v12, 2v11, 3v10, 4v9, 5v8, 6v7 - where a win is worth 2 points (and the bottom 2 are eliminated)
Week 2 - 1v10, 2v9, 3v8, 4v7, 5v6 - again wins worth 2 points (bottom 2 eliminated)
Week 3 - 1v8, 2v7, 3v6, 4v5 - again wins worth 2 points (bottom 2 eliminated)

Followed by Top 6 semi final system
Week 4 - 1,2 bye, 3v5, 4v6
Week 5 - 1 v (lowest winner), 2v (highest winner)
Week 6 - Grand Final

Loudstrat

Coach
Any talk about future expansion in 20 years does not really have a bearing on the CC - who clearly are ready to go now. It is the only bid on the table. Holding that back for what may or may not happen post 2020 is a classic example of holding the game back.

I reckon Perth's best chance is to ride on the coat tails of the Bears bid. 18 teams, no byes. Yet the meek whisper coming out of Perth inspires no confidence. Here we have a growing area ready to go - and not reliant on a handout.

It's a no brainer, surely!

adamkungl

Immortal
On the one hand I notice a baffling lack of Norths jerseys at any CC game I've ever been to. On the other, I feel they would return in droves if the Bears were reborn. The positivity in the game would be at all time high if the bears were to return.

Disappointing is the recent lack of anything from Perth. A year or so ago they looked like they were shaping up to be the best bid, but it has gone very quiet. Hopefully they are preparing something. Bears and Reds for 2013!

Loudstrat

Coach
Adam, there is a 'baffling' amount of Norths jumpers in the shops, because there is a baffling absence of Norths in the NRL.........!

adamkungl

Immortal
Adam, there is a 'baffling' amount of Norths jumpers in the shops, because there is a baffling absence of Norths in the NRL.........!

Bears fans threw their jerseys out did they? I just expected that Bears fans would want to make mroe of a statement of their potential support, by actually turning up to games on the CC

Perth Red

Post Whore
Disappointing is the recent lack of anything from Perth. A year or so ago they looked like they were shaping up to be the best bid, but it has gone very quiet. Hopefully they are preparing something. Bears and Reds for 2013!

from the other thread:

In regards to our bid collapsing, no it didn't. Unfortunatley we don't have a Leagues club like the Bears or a sympathetic Govt like the PNG to fund our bid team so the WARL are doing the best they can on a meagre income that has to run RL in WA and try to keep our bid moving forward. When the ARL grant for our Bundy cup team ran out end of last year we decided to focus on youth and spend what $'s we have on jnr academies and a SG ball team. The realities of being a RL outpost sadly!

Personally I think the WARL is spending too much focus on the Reds as a team and not enough on other aspects of the bid but I guess they hopefully know what they are doing based on what the ARL and NRL are telling them.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Overall I am concerned at how RL will grow beyond the 18 team mark

The only real growth after that i to stragicly move towards a 1 Round comp structure (if you do not introduce 2 divisions)

with the following teams all a good chance of being a viable NRL team
- CC Bears
- SW Brisbane
- Central Qld
- Perth
- Adelaide
- Wellington NZ
- N Brisbane
- PNG

So longer term if you choose expansion

24 teams - 23 rounds

Top 12 Super Rounds system
Week 1 - 1v12, 2v11, 3v10, 4v9, 5v8, 6v7 - where a win is worth 2 points (and the bottom 2 are eliminated)
Week 2 - 1v10, 2v9, 3v8, 4v7, 5v6 - again wins worth 2 points (bottom 2 eliminated)
Week 3 - 1v8, 2v7, 3v6, 4v5 - again wins worth 2 points (bottom 2 eliminated)

Followed by Top 6 semi final system
Week 4 - 1,2 bye, 3v5, 4v6
Week 5 - 1 v (lowest winner), 2v (highest winner)
Week 6 - Grand Final

Although I think that 24 teams is unrealistic (especially with the 3 Brisbane teams), that finals system sure is interesting.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
That finals system is really interesting, but maybe too long? finishing first in regular season would put you even further from a GF than you are now.

anyway, i hope the bears get a license but i feel after the tv deal is most likely. ill be living on the central coast and support the roosters but would certainly get a season ticket at bluetongue and support them too if it happens!

adamkungl

Immortal
Sort of getting off topic, but at 18 teams and even 20 I would stick with the top 8. It would make making the finals actually a worthwhile achievement.

siv

First Grade
That finals system is really interesting, but maybe too long? finishing first in regular season would put you even further from a GF than you are now.

anyway, i hope the bears get a license but i feel after the tv deal is most likely. ill be living on the central coast and support the roosters but would certainly get a season ticket at bluetongue and support them too if it happens!

Not if you only had 24 teams and 23 rounds + 6 semi weekends. (29)

We have 26 rounds today plus 4 weeks of semi's(ie 30)

Western_Eel

Juniors
On the one hand I notice a baffling lack of Norths jerseys at any CC game I've ever been to. On the other, I feel they would return in droves if the Bears were reborn. The positivity in the game would be at all time high if the bears were to return.

The bears havent done anything either, just gallop being in gosford

Goddo

Bench
Not if you only had 24 teams and 23 rounds + 6 semi weekends. (29)

We have 26 rounds today plus 4 weeks of semi's(ie 30)

Almost. we currently have 24 rounds with two split rounds making it 26.

I think it would be great to get back to 22 rounds so the players aren't getting so worn out, with origin on its own weekend. The season is pretty long.

Look at the NFL.. a season dosen't need to be long to be profitable and entertaining. First we need the TV deal and then expansion (meaning more games week in week out) before we can do that though.

Loudstrat

Coach
from the other thread:

In regards to our bid collapsing, no it didn't. Unfortunatley we don't have a Leagues club like the Bears or a sympathetic Govt like the PNG to fund our bid team so the WARL are doing the best they can on a meagre income that has to run RL in WA and try to keep our bid moving forward. When the ARL grant for our Bundy cup team ran out end of last year we decided to focus on youth and spend what $'s we have on jnr academies and a SG ball team. The realities of being a RL outpost sadly!

Personally I think the WARL is spending too much focus on the Reds as a team and not enough on other aspects of the bid but I guess they hopefully know what they are doing based on what the ARL and NRL are telling them.

I hardly thin the ARL has a vested interest in feeding the Reds false info. The ARL has only ever helped to my knowledge. Your dilemma is corporate backing -you need to get that asap. If you do, their admission bid will have more resources, and it would look viable if the club can survive on it's own.

Surely approaches have been made to mining companies in WA. Its still boom times there for them, so how come no info in that regard as yet ?

Perth Red

Post Whore
I hardly thin the ARL has a vested interest in feeding the Reds false info. The ARL has only ever helped to my knowledge. Your dilemma is corporate backing -you need to get that asap. If you do, their admission bid will have more resources, and it would look viable if the club can survive on it's own.

I never said the ARL was feeding them false info, what I meant was the decision to field a SG Ball team rather than a Bundy cup team seems to have been the suggestion (or at very least with lots of backing) from the ARL so people who see this as a backward step need to realise that the WARL are making decisions based on what they are hearing from the ARL/NRL to give them the best chance.

Totally agree re the $'s behind us but in an AFL mad state competing with A S14 team, an Aleague team and a basketball team attracting corproate $'s to a sport where the governing body has shown little interest and where there is little positive vibe coming about the chance of a license is nigh on impossible. Just ask a NSW cup team or a Q'land cup team how hard it is to get $'s from corporates and that is in RL heartlands. Bears have done very well to do this but it is a heck of alot easier when you have the advantages they have.

Loudstrat

Coach
I never said the ARL was feeding them false info,
I know - I didn't mean it to come across that way, just stating that, despite what you sometimes feel is disinterest from the power brokers of the game, a RL presence anywhere is in the games interest, and with the small yet dedicated presence in the WARL League can only grow in WA. The decision made in late 1997 was abysmal - as it was for Adelaide, Gold Coast and Norths. Yet, like Gold Coast and the Bears, WARL haven't given up. They have shown a great courage that puts to shame the SARL and, despite the Storm's presence, the VRL too.

what I meant was the decision to field a SG Ball team rather than a Bundy cup team seems to have been the suggestion (or at very least with lots of backing) from the ARL so people who see this as a backward step need to realise that the WARL are making decisions based on what they are hearing from the ARL/NRL to give them the best chance.
I think possibly a good call too. The development of strong juniors is probably the most imprtant thing a club can have. Some financial strugglers like Newcastle have won premierships on the back of their juniors, where as clubs without them (eg Melbourne) need a hell of a lot of cash to compensate.
Totally agree re the $'s behind us but in an AFL mad state competing with A S14 team, an Aleague team and a basketball team attracting corproate $'s to a sport where the governing body has shown little interest and where there is little positive vibe coming about the chance of a license is nigh on impossible. Just ask a NSW cup team or a Q'land cup team how hard it is to get $'s from corporates and that is in RL heartlands. Bears have done very well to do this but it is a heck of alot easier when you have the advantages they have.
Which is why some believe the Perth market cannot sustain a RL side. I'm doubtful, but welcome to be proven wrong. IMHO your (our) main battle isn't with AFL, it's with SANZAR. The Brumbies have damaged the Raiders. Hopefully in turn the Reds will damage (obliterate) the Farce.

Red Bear

Referee
I think, if Perth had been persevered with ahead of Melbourne, it would've been a much more successful team in regards to winning over the city, crowds etc. A gernally much more open city Perth compared to the mindset of Melbourne (AFL or die). Melbourne obviously was needed, had to have a presence in the second largest city, but i think Perth could've done very well.

Brutus

Referee
Imagine how big our TV deal will be when the Central Coast team comes in.

Endless potential.

Big-Steve

Juniors
The Central Coast Bears bid team probably needs to work harder to explain to the Coast why a Bears backed model is the right one.

There has never been a push from within the Coast itself for a stand alone entity - the only model ever presented is a Bears backed one that proposed to tie in the North Shore of Sydney with the Coast including the business districts of North Sydney, Chatswood and Castle Hill.

People who argue that it has to be a new entity need to understand that the possibility of that is remote and that if a team (wether it be the Bears or not) is not accepted in the 2, 3, 4 years that the NRL is more likely to be looking interstate for expansion teams in the future and so the Coast may never have control of its juniors.

The Bears involvement brings an already existing structure and brand to the entity that makes it much more likely that it will be accepted in the near future rather than miss an opportunity that may not surface again.

There is a lot of pressure on Sydney to have teams reduced or relocated that a model that includes an existing district is a compromise that the NRL appears to see as workable as apposed to a new team that still leaves the North Sydney district without NRL representation.

Not everyone will agree on everything that is argued but there are good reasons from a Coast point of view for a Bears team and the bid team needs to work harder on these points.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think what is exciting and bodes well for the future is that we actualy have areas crying out for teams. Even though some, like ourselves, have a fair way to go and need significant support from the games governing body to grow the game in new territories, the fact that 15,000+ show up for a game in Perth, 10,000 show up for a game in Darwin, 18,000 in Gosford etc shows that when we finally get the management and $'s our game needs we can and will expand, and succesfully. It certainly won't be a square peg in a round hole costing hundereds of millions like the AFL.