What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coach Flanno

I'm Hornby

Juniors
Rubbish. He will get people in that will start working on that for him. He would be watching our games closely and has already employed 2 x high peformance staff for next year.
He has said many times he is working on us in his spare time. He is only an assistant ATM
Just because he is not being public about everything he is doing does not mean he is not getting prepared.
Good for him, he had a few mates lined up for a job on his support staff. Hardly a ringing endorsement to show he actually cares about doing well in the new job.

Working on us in his spare time won't bring us up to speed, he only has 3 years in the job and by putting his attention elsewhere for now, then those 3 years may be all he gets.

He has shown in the past as a list manager he wasn't able to recruit players and as an assistant to Mary that he didn't have the tactical knowledge to improve the squad and the onfield results.

He has a massive job and clearly is underestimating the task at hand.

shazam

Juniors
He
If Flanagan doesn't want to come over this season, then I have serious doubts over his ability to understand our roster, pathways and our short comings in general.

I say this because he would already be focusing on Manly which now that he is coming to the dragons, has little to no impact on his future career path. Additionally to this he is also busy working in media, he was in NZ yesterday to commentate the Souths and Warriors game.

So when considering everything he has on his plate currently, there is no way on earth he would have any idea about the things he needs to do at our club.

Arriving at the start of November when there is no one on the market and he'll likely have Hunt still agitating for a release all off season, is certainly not the ideal way to start, especially with the big job he has ahead of him.

I already had doubts over his coaching ability and by choosing not to come and start work now, he is only increasing those doubts in my mind.

Phantom V

Juniors
Unlike Hunt he probably honours contracts - rather than simply saying "I want out immediately because there's something else I want to do".
I agree. What’s he going to achieve with this lot at the moment? He’ll just be inheriting Hooks lack of conditioning and reverse coaching.
It’s not like he doesn’t know the roster and he’d already have an idea of who is surplus baggage. The culling has begun and I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t hear of some new signings in the next few months.

jeffdragon

Bench
I agree. What’s he going to achieve with this lot at the moment? He’ll just be inheriting Hooks lack of conditioning and reverse coaching.
It’s not like he doesn’t know the roster and he’d already have an idea of who is surplus baggage. The culling has begun and I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t hear of some new signings in the next few months.
Heard Lomax can look elsewhere.

justadragon

Bench
Flanno always said he was going to honour the manly contract even before he was appointed HC. He felt he owed it to them, and lets not forget things could have been vastly different if we would have appointed Flanno when he was at the club.

Last edited:

dannyt

Coach
If Flanagan doesn't want to come over this season, then I have serious doubts over his ability to understand our roster, pathways and our short comings in general.

I say this because he would already be focusing on Manly which now that he is coming to the dragons, has little to no impact on his future career path. Additionally to this he is also busy working in media, he was in NZ yesterday to commentate the Souths and Warriors game.

So when considering everything he has on his plate currently, there is no way on earth he would have any idea about the things he needs to do at our club.

Arriving at the start of November when there is no one on the market and he'll likely have Hunt still agitating for a release all off season, is certainly not the ideal way to start, especially with the big job he has ahead of him.

I already had doubts over his coaching ability and by choosing not to come and start work now, he is only increasing those doubts in my mind.
LOL. You have doubts about his coaching ability which are only increasing. That has any effect, how?

blacksafake

First Grade
Well this is interesting to read the comments above, especially around the young coach Carr.

Firstly, i'm sure he'd really like to make changes to the team, but what has he got to work with?

Out of our top 30 (or 29 whatever way you look at it), 4 are unavailable, those being Ramsay, Fuimaono (both season ending), Bird (who I think his arthritis is causing him more than what's been said) and Suli.

Using 29 as the start point that leaves 25 to choose from. Out of that 25, you have: Turner, Max F, NLT, Musgrove, Burns and Russell. Besides Musgove and Burns, would any of the others warrant a start in 1st grade? and even those 2 have been in and out of 1st grade.

So, leaving Burns and Musgrove as possibles, then that leaves 21. Magically this is the number we have to submit every team list Tuesday.

Of course we could throw in some of the juniors, to give them a 'Blooding', but hey, aren't we trying to avoid the wooden spoon? Most of those juniors WILL be great for us, but defensively they need a lot of work, and isn't our defense the major issue with 1st grade atm? maybe when the spoon is sitting firmly on our wall would be a good time.

Personally, I think Carr is doing a great job with what he has to work with, and let's not forget the Hunt saga and his apparent lack of desire in the 2 games since. No coincidence there. Of course he would ask Hunt is he good to go and of course Hunt would say sure, i'm for the team etc etc etc. As they say when you fall out of love, it's almost impossible to claw it back.

Now, as for Flanno, there's a little thing called a contract, and in his case he would have 2. One with Manly who are in the fight for a top 8 spot, and the 2nd with Fox as a commentator. it is obvious that he is working behind the scenes, with 2 new football department appointments already, and more to come, as he has already stated, some are under contract at present and can't say who. There are what 6 games to go, him coming now would be pointless given the squad we have, in the condition they are (Both physical and mental), whilst at the same time dealing with the so-called captain of the club.

So, as the Beatles once sang, "Let it be", as it is what it is right now, nothing will change much, and the best we can hope for is to avoid the spoon. I will continue to support them 100% as hard as it is, the Dragons are my team, who I have supported for over 60 years. Sometimesthough, through all the darkness, there are some glimmers of light and I can see that in some of our players, from 1st grade through to JF. what is the saying, "The darkest hour is just before the dawn", this I truly believe.
Great post

dannyt

Coach
Interesting article
Or you can choose to believe buzz-the-alco

I'm Hornby

Juniors
LOL. You have doubts about his coaching ability which are only increasing. That has any effect, how?
Sorry mate, forgive me for thinking this was a forum where people share ideas/opinions.

Of course it has no effect, the same as any of your posts do as well, doesn't mean we don't share our views on things though does it?

possm

Coach
Unlike Hunt he probably honours contracts - rather than simply saying "I want out immediately because there's something else I want to do".
Yes, you are right. It is up to Manly and Flannagan if he comes early. He does have a big job when trying to turn this around and most probably should have been hired to start in November 2022.

possm

Coach
I'm fine this Lomax simply hasn't delivered, he and Ben Hunt don't get along perhaps Flanno is trying to keep him happy who knows? The more that leave the better.

We desperately need a Fullback, Winger, Prop & Second Rower.
We might just find that Flanno has found a better player who is good value for money. At 500k, Lomax is good value for money but at 800k he is up there with the SOO class when it comes to salary. So, in my opinion, he is grossly overpaid.

rasaint

Juniors
Read between the lines and probably Flanagan wants him gone.

I saw Zac run on for a late game cameo in 2017 at Kogarah. His 1 st nrl run on. I thought here his this gun junior centre. Yet, in the short time he was on the field he looked to lack speed and dash.

I was astounded when he got that ridiculous long term big $$$ deal. A terrible recruitment boo boo in my opinion. He is simply an ordinary player who is normally a pretty good goal kicker. For years on the forum I have read, ‘great potential, poorly coached, needs early ball blah blah. Occasionally does a great catch or run a good line but that’s it. He gives his best on the park, no doubt whatsoever; simply lacks impact and in his effort to overcome lack of dash and consistent impact he gets frustrated.

Good luck to Zac but I hope he does leave. Problem is we would need to top up anybody willing to take him on.