What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coach Flanno

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Saints clearly should put other players from the lower grades in now if they are putting in injured players instead. How much worse can they play, seriously? They are last for gods sake. The fact these guys are being picked is a huge concern and a lack of belief that we have anyone good coming through from the lower grades.

Manly still have a chance for top 8 so releasing Flanno should not be an option for them, I can understand that. But what Saints can do is bring in guys like Matt Cooper who has offered to train the outside backs for free or get some other coach to help out as the current assistants are clearly not cutting it. I know Flanno is getting his staff sorted behind the scenes now so hopefully he can get them in asap and not wait till the end of the season.

Mojo

Bench
Saints have lost Kerr, no Ramsey for 2023 and Fui has been out for most of the season. Why has there been no recruitment? They were blaming the coaching situation as the problem but that has been sorted now.
Ring, ring, "G'day Mr Manager. Just wondering if your star player would like to jump on board a sinking ship. We'll pay him a million a year. All he has to do is put a plug in one of our gapping holes". ..... "OK, I'll look forward to your return call".

Last edited:

Crush

Coach
Can we ask Manly for a favour?

FLANAGAN NOW.

You start to lose my respect as a coach, interim or otherwise, when you pick the wrong team each week. No imagination from Carr. Obviously not watching what we see every week.

I can't keep copping performances like this.

FLANNO NOW.
Bad idea IMO.
We want to set Flanno up for success, not failure. If he comes in now he is walking into a shitstorm.
Best he comes in November and gets a full pre season to get these muppets fit and train them how to play NRL.
This season is a disaster, let it burn.
Next year will be better mate.

thebigredv

First Grade
Bad idea IMO.
We want to set Flanno up for success, not failure. If he comes in now he is walking into a shitstorm.
Best he comes in November and gets a full pre season to get these muppets fit and train them how to play NRL.

Perhaps. There's really not much he would be able to do in some respect right now. I just can't take being so bad and the dumb team Carr keeps picking and meddling with. It hurts me much more than the player who don't understand the prestige of the jersey.

Carr obviously out of his depth but he is working with rubbish. In reality if Flanagan can't somehow wipe half the squad and get in some decent talent within a year, he too will succumb to the feebleness that is these players we have. They seem so ready to throw in the towel. There's no genuine love between them either, let alone any connection of a football kind.

Really not sure we can persevere with many of them. Don't rate this group. Keep JDB and Su'a. That's it.

Crush

Coach
Perhaps. There's really not much he would be able to do in some respect right now. I just can't take being so bad and the dumb team Carr keeps picking and meddling with. It hurts me much more than the player who don't understand the prestige of the jersey.

Carr obviously out of his depth but he is working with rubbish. In reality if Flanagan can't somehow wipe half the squad and get in some decent talent within a year, he too will succumb to the feebleness that is these players we have. They seem so ready to throw in the towel. There's no genuine love between them either, let alone any connection of a football kind.

Really not sure we can persevere with many of them. Don't rate this group. Keep JDB and Su'a. That's it.
Yeah it’s all turned to shit, especially since Ben has decided he wants out.
There is obviously going to be a massive roster overhaul.
This should be rock bottom, 2023 that is.
2024 we’ll have more cause for optimism.

I'm Hornby

Juniors
Yeah it’s all turned to shit, especially since Ben has decided he wants out.
There is obviously going to be a massive roster overhaul.
This should be rock bottom, 2023 that is.
2024 we’ll have more cause for optimism.
Are you kidding? A couple of weeks ago after a narrow win against souths reserves, you posted about what a turn around the team has had since Carr took over. That was 2 weeks ago mate and now you're saying it has all turned to shit?

Can you change your name to windmill?Because you seem to just go in whatever direction the group think in the forum is and have no real conviction at all.

You can hold your candle out for 2024 buddy but forgive the rest of us for wanting to reserve judgement on your man the drug cheat coach.

possm

Coach
Bad idea IMO.
The sooner Flanno takes over the better. We may need to start work on this now.

TruSaint

Referee
The sooner Flanno takes over the better. We may need to start work on this now.

I agree.

Shane won't be judged at all on where we finish this year. That's on the board, Hook and Hunt. Getting him in now, working full time with the staff will save a heck of a lot time trying to work through the squad.

There are too many players we need to move on, and recruit for one off season to handle. It will also send a message to the players that the Club is serious about is new appointment and ending the season with some semblance of dignity.

We may lose every game, but Im confident with players knowing their contracts are on the line we wont see score lines of 40 and 50's against us.

Im not criticising Carr here. He has been dealt a losers hand, but the players know he is the interim coach. That's the difference.

I'm Hornby

Juniors
If Flanagan doesn't want to come over this season, then I have serious doubts over his ability to understand our roster, pathways and our short comings in general.

I say this because he would already be focusing on Manly which now that he is coming to the dragons, has little to no impact on his future career path. Additionally to this he is also busy working in media, he was in NZ yesterday to commentate the Souths and Warriors game.

So when considering everything he has on his plate currently, there is no way on earth he would have any idea about the things he needs to do at our club.

Arriving at the start of November when there is no one on the market and he'll likely have Hunt still agitating for a release all off season, is certainly not the ideal way to start, especially with the big job he has ahead of him.

I already had doubts over his coaching ability and by choosing not to come and start work now, he is only increasing those doubts in my mind.

Mojo

Bench
If Flanagan doesn't want to come over this season, then I have serious doubts over his ability to understand our roster, pathways and our short comings in general.

I say this because he would already be focusing on Manly which now that he is coming to the dragons, has little to no impact on his future career path. Additionally to this he is also busy working in media, he was in NZ yesterday to commentate the Souths and Warriors game.

So when considering everything he has on his plate currently, there is no way on earth he would have any idea about the things he needs to do at our club.

Arriving at the start of November when there is no one on the market and he'll likely have Hunt still agitating for a release all off season, is certainly not the ideal way to start, especially with the big job he has ahead of him.

I already had doubts over his coaching ability and by choosing not to come and start work now, he is only increasing those doubts in my mind.
Unlike Hunt he probably honours contracts - rather than simply saying "I want out immediately because there's something else I want to do".

dungay dragon

Juniors

was he in NZ yesterday or calling from the Inter Active Studio ??
A large number of games called by Fox are from the Studio and they use a live Side Line Eye Commentator at the ground...
I too think Flanno should be with us now
There is so much to do in getting this place back on track

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Well this is interesting to read the comments above, especially around the young coach Carr.

Firstly, i'm sure he'd really like to make changes to the team, but what has he got to work with?

Out of our top 30 (or 29 whatever way you look at it), 4 are unavailable, those being Ramsay, Fuimaono (both season ending), Bird (who I think his arthritis is causing him more than what's been said) and Suli.

Using 29 as the start point that leaves 25 to choose from. Out of that 25, you have: Turner, Max F, NLT, Musgrove, Burns and Russell. Besides Musgove and Burns, would any of the others warrant a start in 1st grade? and even those 2 have been in and out of 1st grade.

So, leaving Burns and Musgrove as possibles, then that leaves 21. Magically this is the number we have to submit every team list Tuesday.

Of course we could throw in some of the juniors, to give them a 'Blooding', but hey, aren't we trying to avoid the wooden spoon? Most of those juniors WILL be great for us, but defensively they need a lot of work, and isn't our defense the major issue with 1st grade atm? maybe when the spoon is sitting firmly on our wall would be a good time.

Personally, I think Carr is doing a great job with what he has to work with, and let's not forget the Hunt saga and his apparent lack of desire in the 2 games since. No coincidence there. Of course he would ask Hunt is he good to go and of course Hunt would say sure, i'm for the team etc etc etc. As they say when you fall out of love, it's almost impossible to claw it back.

Now, as for Flanno, there's a little thing called a contract, and in his case he would have 2. One with Manly who are in the fight for a top 8 spot, and the 2nd with Fox as a commentator. it is obvious that he is working behind the scenes, with 2 new football department appointments already, and more to come, as he has already stated, some are under contract at present and can't say who. There are what 6 games to go, him coming now would be pointless given the squad we have, in the condition they are (Both physical and mental), whilst at the same time dealing with the so-called captain of the club.

So, as the Beatles once sang, "Let it be", as it is what it is right now, nothing will change much, and the best we can hope for is to avoid the spoon. I will continue to support them 100% as hard as it is, the Dragons are my team, who I have supported for over 60 years. Sometimesthough, through all the darkness, there are some glimmers of light and I can see that in some of our players, from 1st grade through to JF. what is the saying, "The darkest hour is just before the dawn", this I truly believe.

BLM01

First Grade

Rubbish. He will get people in that will start working on that for him. He would be watching our games closely and has already employed 2 x high peformance staff for next year.
He has said many times he is working on us in his spare time. He is only an assistant ATM
Just because he is not being public about everything he is doing does not mean he is not getting prepared.

BLM01

First Grade
Are you kidding? A couple of weeks ago after a narrow win against souths reserves, you posted about what a turn around the team has had since Carr took over. That was 2 weeks ago mate and now you're saying it has all turned to shit?

Can you change your name to windmill?Because you seem to just go in whatever direction the group think in the forum is and have no real conviction at all.

You can hold your candle out for 2024 buddy but forgive the rest of us for wanting to reserve judgement on your man the drug cheat coach.
Yes but like Ben Hunt you are still holding a candle for Hook
Dont get me wrong I was an avid Hook supporter and defender on here for the first 1.5 years but then I realised he aint going to get us anywhere
We are aware Flanno had past convictions, but what did that have to do about his ability to coach especially he won a premiership by taking a team from the outhouse to the penthouse in 2 years and had them mainly competitive for most years

Latest posts