What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coach Flanno

Parko1310

Juniors
100% agree
I've always been positive regarding Kyle's recruitment
To take the best advantage of his skillset though, is imo,7 not 6.
If anyone is best suited to applying the Coach's game plan, it's his son.

I may be worried about nothing. Perhaps 6 will be OK by hunt as it's still the halves?

I Hope so
I'd not be shocked to see the 7 remain on Hunt's back whilst effectively playing quite a bit of 6. As in, I see him standing at second receiver a lot more often with Kyle taking on a controlling role and getting Hunt good ball in wider positions to create.

RedVee_8

Juniors
I'd not be shocked to see the 7 remain on Hunt's back whilst effectively playing quite a bit of 6. As in, I see him standing at second receiver a lot more often with Kyle taking on a controlling role and getting Hunt good ball in wider positions to create.
I agree. But I also think he won’t give up the no. 7. I dont care what number he wears as long as he plays to his strengths and to Flanno’s game plan.

Parko1310

Juniors
I agree with all the posts about where Hunt and Kyle should play, as long as Bird finds himself nowhere in the backline especially in the halves I will be happy.

NRL 2024: St George Illawarra’s Jack Bird on positional switch, fitness and reclaiming best form​

High-profile Dragon Jack Bird has made it clear where his ambition for 2024 lies – and, as he declares he’s ready to wind back the clock, he doesn’t want it to be in the forwards.
https://archive.md/o/RrTUo/https://twitter.com/DaveRic1
https://archive.md/RrTUo#share-tools
Jack Bird is the footballer that never went to the school of cliches.
He’s brutally honest. He doesn’t lose sleep over annoying fans by sticking up for his coach, like he did for Anthony Griffin, last season.
Bird has been known to swear to get his point across. He calls a spade a shovel and if he’s dropped to reserve grade, like he was last season, it’s because in his words, he deserved it.
So when the 2016 premiership-winner and former NSW State of Origin player declares he wants his centre jersey back at the Dragons, you listen.
When he says he’s the only one that believes that 2024 can be the best season of his rollercoaster eight-year career, you listen.

And when Bird says new Saints coach Shane Flanagan rides him harder than any other coach, you get the sense that Bird could be ready to fly in 2024.
“I think I can (get back to my best),” Bird said.
“Not many people believe that I can, but you’ve got to believe in yourself.
“And that’s one thing that I have, I do believe in myself that I can get back to my best, if not better.
“I’m feeling fit, confident, strong and excited.
“I’m in a good head space that’s for sure. Body-wise, I’m in a good state. I’m doing everything they ask of me.
“I’m feeling strong and fit and I’ve just got to keep improving.”

CENTRE OF ATTENTION

In 2016 under Flanagan at the Sharks, Bird played 26 games, the most in any one season across his career, at centre.
It’s staggering then that since 2021, Bird has played a total of just three games at centre.
He got one game at centre in round 23 last season and two games in 2022 in rounds 18 and 19.
In between, he has been shuffled like a deck chair across the field at back row, lock, five-eighth and the bench.

Bird made it clear where his ambition for 2024 lies amid competition for a centre spot with Zac Lomax and Moses Suli.
“I have had a few conversations (with Flanagan) about what my role is going to be and I’m going to have to train hard to make the squad,” Bird said.
“No one is guaranteed a position and so I just have to keep training hard and wherever I end up, I end up.
“I’ve been training at centre and in the back row, but I would like to get away from the forwards and get back to the backs (centre).
“Obviously I haven’t played centre in a long time, so I have to work hard. I’m feeling fast enough to play centre.
“I’m feeling faster than I was last year, that’s for sure.
“I’ve played my best footy under Flanno at centre, so that’s where I want to play.
“Especially with how my body is these days, I want to pick my moments.”

BODY SHOP

Bird mentions his ‘body’ not as an excuse but because it’s part of his daily maintenance.
He has been medically cleared of chronic arthritis that affects his joints, particularly his knees, but it has the potential to flare-up at any time.
Bird, 28, also underwent shoulder surgery at the back-end of last season, which has delayed his ability to enter full-blown tackling sessions so far this pre-season.
“Body-wise, I’m in a good state. I’m doing everything they ask of me,” Bird said.
“I’ve had no full contact yet because of the shoulder. But I’ve been doing a lot of ballwork.

“The knees are feeling good, they’re still a little bit sore, but compared to last year, we’ve come a long way. I have to keep active.
“When I run they don’t hurt anymore. Last year they were aching.
“I’m hoping to get into contact just before Christmas.
“However, I don’t want to rush it. It’s been three and a half months since surgery.
“I want to make sure I’m 100 per cent for the season. I don’t want to be going into the season at 90 per cent. I want to go in absolutely ready.”

NO BS FLANNO

Bird and Flanagan have a relationship akin to father and son.
The head coach was a major contributor for luring Bird out of the Dragons as a rising star and to Sharks back in 2015.
Bird said he responds to Flanagan’s coaching and constant drive to aid his football.
“Me and Flanno get on pretty well, we can chat, we can joke, there’s no BS with him,” Bird said.
“You can’t stuff around with Flanno, he’ll get up ya. Especially me, he gets up me all the time I just have to drive in (to the car park) and he gets up me.”

RESERVE GRADE

Down on form, out of condition and unable to play long minutes, Bird suffered a major blow to his career when he was axed to NSW Cup for a month last season. Asked if he was angry about the decision, Bird said: “I wasn’t pissed off, I just was frustrated.
“There were reasons why I got dropped to reserve grade. Obviously my footy wasn’t up to standard and my fitness and body wasn’t at the position it should be.
“Last year was last year. Stuff happens. It was probably a good wake-up call, I want to play first grade. I don’t want to play reserve grade.
“I knew that I had to be better. The main thing is I still got to do what I love doing, and that’s playing football.
“Hopefully this year is going to be a better year for myself and the team and I think Flanno can bring the best out of me and I don’t get dropped again.”

ROSTER

The Dragons are fortunate that within their roster, Bird is one of few players to understand what is required to achieve success.
Amid increasing hope from Dragons fans that Flanagan can add more players of class to the roster, Bird offered a surprisingly calm point-of-view.
“That’s (recruitment) up to Flanno and the staff to sign the players we need,” Bird said.

“But I think with the players we have, we can do a job.
“We’ve got the right people here, that’s for sure.
“We’ve been training hard and that’s all it comes down to. Training hard and getting our combinations right.”

Personally, I don't see how Bird gets into the backs at all. Although, one injury in the halves and he's probably in.

NRL 2024: St George Illawarra’s Jack Bird on positional switch, fitness and reclaiming best form​

High-profile Dragon Jack Bird has made it clear where his ambition for 2024 lies – and, as he declares he’s ready to wind back the clock, he doesn’t want it to be in the forwards.
He’s brutally honest. He doesn’t lose sleep over annoying fans by sticking up for his coach, like he did for Anthony Griffin, last season.
Bird has been known to swear to get his point across. He calls a spade a shovel and if he’s dropped to reserve grade, like he was last season, it’s because in his words, he deserved it.
So when the 2016 premiership-winner and former NSW State of Origin player declares he wants his centre jersey back at the Dragons, you listen.
When he says he’s the only one that believes that 2024 can be the best season of his rollercoaster eight-year career, you listen.

And when Bird says new Saints coach Shane Flanagan rides him harder than any other coach, you get the sense that Bird could be ready to fly in 2024.
“And that’s one thing that I have, I do believe in myself that I can get back to my best, if not better.
“I’m in a good head space that’s for sure. Body-wise, I’m in a good state. I’m doing everything they ask of me.

CENTRE OF ATTENTION

In 2016 under Flanagan at the Sharks, Bird played 26 games, the most in any one season across his career, at centre.
It’s staggering then that since 2021, Bird has played a total of just three games at centre.
He got one game at centre in round 23 last season and two games in 2022 in rounds 18 and 19.
In between, he has been shuffled like a deck chair across the field at back row, lock, five-eighth and the bench.

Bird made it clear where his ambition for 2024 lies amid competition for a centre spot with Zac Lomax and Moses Suli.
“I have had a few conversations (with Flanagan) about what my role is going to be and I’m going to have to train hard to make the squad,” Bird said.
“No one is guaranteed a position and so I just have to keep training hard and wherever I end up, I end up.
“I’ve been training at centre and in the back row, but I would like to get away from the forwards and get back to the backs (centre).
“Obviously I haven’t played centre in a long time, so I have to work hard. I’m feeling fast enough to play centre.
“I’ve played my best footy under Flanno at centre, so that’s where I want to play.

BODY SHOP

Bird mentions his ‘body’ not as an excuse but because it’s part of his daily maintenance.
He has been medically cleared of chronic arthritis that affects his joints, particularly his knees, but it has the potential to flare-up at any time.
Bird, 28, also underwent shoulder surgery at the back-end of last season, which has delayed his ability to enter full-blown tackling sessions so far this pre-season.
“Body-wise, I’m in a good state. I’m doing everything they ask of me,” Bird said.
“I’ve had no full contact yet because of the shoulder. But I’ve been doing a lot of ballwork.

“The knees are feeling good, they’re still a little bit sore, but compared to last year, we’ve come a long way. I have to keep active.
“However, I don’t want to rush it. It’s been three and a half months since surgery.
“I want to make sure I’m 100 per cent for the season. I don’t want to be going into the season at 90 per cent. I want to go in absolutely ready.”

NO BS FLANNO

The head coach was a major contributor for luring Bird out of the Dragons as a rising star and to Sharks back in 2015.
Bird said he responds to Flanagan’s coaching and constant drive to aid his football.
“Me and Flanno get on pretty well, we can chat, we can joke, there’s no BS with him,” Bird said.
“You can’t stuff around with Flanno, he’ll get up ya. Especially me, he gets up me all the time I just have to drive in (to the car park) and he gets up me.”

RESERVE GRADE

Down on form, out of condition and unable to play long minutes, Bird suffered a major blow to his career when he was axed to NSW Cup for a month last season. Asked if he was angry about the decision, Bird said: “I wasn’t pissed off, I just was frustrated.
“There were reasons why I got dropped to reserve grade. Obviously my footy wasn’t up to standard and my fitness and body wasn’t at the position it should be.
“Last year was last year. Stuff happens. It was probably a good wake-up call, I want to play first grade. I don’t want to play reserve grade.
“I knew that I had to be better. The main thing is I still got to do what I love doing, and that’s playing football.
“Hopefully this year is going to be a better year for myself and the team and I think Flanno can bring the best out of me and I don’t get dropped again.”

ROSTER

The Dragons are fortunate that within their roster, Bird is one of few players to understand what is required to achieve success.
Amid increasing hope from Dragons fans that Flanagan can add more players of class to the roster, Bird offered a surprisingly calm point-of-view.
“That’s (recruitment) up to Flanno and the staff to sign the players we need,” Bird said.

“We’ve been training hard and that’s all it comes down to. Training hard and getting our combinations right.”

Personally, I don't see how Bird gets into the backs at all. Although, one injury in the halves and he's probably in.

Enough said

justadragon

Bench

CENTRE OF ATTENTION

BODY SHOP

NO BS FLANNO

RESERVE GRADE

ROSTER

A lot has happened to him since 2015, I dont care if you merlin the magician, he's not the player he was. It was a nightmare seeing him go round at centre and when he had a game at FB. For me its lock or utility at best. It was a mistake resigning him. He certainly hasnt proved his worth of $550k. There would be numerous centres that would make him look silly and carve him up, especially on the outside.

Dragon David

First Grade
At least he acknowledged he was unfit and overweight last year. Remains to be seen whether he can handle the movement needed to play out wide..
I don’t recall him ever being quick. One of the main problems we have is across the park is we would be one of the slowest teams in the comp.
I agree JJ. Hopefully with Flanagan wanting to get the squad stronger and fitter to last the distance of a game, he also will be giving them sprint training to do regularly so that they can do things a lot quicker.

Dragon David

First Grade
A lot has happened to him since 2015, I dont care if you merlin the magician, he's not the player he was. It was a nightmare seeing him go round at centre and when he had a game at FB. For me its lock or utility at best. It was a mistake resigning him. He certainly hasnt proved his worth of $550k. There would be numerous centres that would make him look silly and carve him up, especially on the outside.
Yep, Bird is certainly not the same player now as he was in 2015/2016 and even then he wasn't the quickest. It will be about 8 years since Bird played in the Sharks grand final win in 2016. 8 additional years is a long time making the body slower in movement and guile and more injury prone.

Flanno will test him out so we will see where he ends up next season.

justadragon

Bench
I agree JJ. Hopefully with Flanagan wanting to get the squad stronger and fitter to last the distance of a game, he also will be giving them sprint training to do regularly so that they can do things a lot quicker.
you are right Dave, how many times did we get caught short on the outside, because our wingers were coming in for no reason and we were too slow in cover. I do believe Flanno will rectify this but we cant have slow centres and wingers as has been previously stated. If you have a look at our current centres and wingers, we would rank amongst the slowest in the comp, the last thing we need in there is a lame one.

Walpole

Juniors

CENTRE OF ATTENTION

BODY SHOP

NO BS FLANNO

RESERVE GRADE

ROSTER

Interesting read. I particularly like this part - "Especially me, he gets up me all the time I just have to drive in (to the car park) and he gets up me.” Could probably save some time for Flanagan and just get a bunch of blokes from this forum to stand at the carpark entrance and give it to Bird on the way in.

Illusion

Bench
I believe IMO that Flanno is at least a 30 percent better coach than Hook , so even without any big signings this year he can improve some players by 10 percent and some by 20 percent or more , then I think we will be sitting close enough to be a chance for the 8 ........ I will just have to wait and see if I'm right or wrong .......

since77

Juniors
I believe IMO that Flanno is at least a 30 percent better coach than Hook , so even without any big signings this year he can improve some players by 10 percent and some by 20 percent or more , then I think we will be sitting close enough to be a chance for the 8 ........ I will just have to wait and see if I'm right or wrong .......
I hope so.
We literally haven't had an NRL quality coach since 2011. Just the fact that we have a better coach this year has to mean improvement. Surely? I mean our defence just has to improve doesn't it? And surely the attack improves too.
I'm not expecting miracles but If Flanno can have this squad at least still in the battle for 8th spot in the last few rounds I think the signs for '25 with hopefully some major signings will be good.

Illusion

Bench
I hope so.
We literally haven't had an NRL quality coach since 2011. Just the fact that we have a better coach this year has to mean improvement. Surely? I mean our defence just has to improve doesn't it? And surely the attack improves too.
I'm not expecting miracles but If Flanno can have this squad at least still in the battle for 8th spot in the last few rounds I think the signs for '25 with hopefully some major signings will be good.
Agree mate let's hope again , but I'm feeling it this time ......