What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coach Flanno

Dragon David

First Grade
You can rest assured jay that the scribes who are anti Dragons will be death riding Flanagan.

Someone should remind Hooper that he has a criminal record. Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t he get busted for DUI.
He got done for destroying and damaging property in 2018 -

"There have been plenty of negative headlines for NRL players in recent weeks and it seems that poor behaviour on the drink isn’t limited to the players.

Fox Sports chief league reporter James Hooper will appear in Downing Centre court on October 4 on charges related to destroying and damaging property. It was the result of big night gone wrong.

He is accused of damaging a car and was found in a bad way on the car bonnet by the owner. He was not arrested at the time and taken by ambulance to hospital. He was later served with a court attendance notice.

Those who have talked to Hooper say that he has no recollection of the matter and he knows he has done the wrong thing. He is doing something about it. He told his employers about the incident.

I have been made aware of the incident and the charges by a host of players, who clearly think there is a double standard in these matters – that the media are quick to rip into players, but they protect their own. Since the incident, Hooper has sensibly stayed out of the firing line when it comes to matters involving bad player behaviour.

He has kept his strong opinions to football and has not been judging players’ private lives.".

Mojo

Bench
To be fair, Hunt's "I dont know yet" is the sort of impromptu thing anybody would say in response to a question about something they haven't been giving any thought to.

As for 'secret meetings': he can have coffee with anyone he likes. He's under contract and alternative offers can't be discussed.

I do agree though that the Qld contingent, of which Ben is a major part, seem to have never considered themselves completely connected to the club. Probably BS gossip but someone told me a while back that Macca's little bloke liked to tell people his old man was a Dragon and his parents used to correct him by saying he was a Bronco first.
It would be good if Hunt, our club captain, would at least tell Gus to f'cough for once. And the 'only at 7' thing is a pain in the bum.

steerlerbab

Juniors
Regarding Ben Hunt, he is been Dragon's best player for the last 2.5 years. He is our only marquee player. Nobody denies it. But, as a captain the last 2.5 year, he has been a failure. The Hook/Hunt (Hook coach/Hunt captain) era had been a dismal failure. And let's face it Hook tried to build a team around Hunt. Hook even brought in players such Maguire and Norman et al from Hunt's younger years and that did not work. So if Hunt wants out, let him leave but the club that gets him has to pay a hefty transfer fee (and why not - Rooster's were asking transfer fee for Ryles). If Gus wants Hunt, let him come out and say he will be happy to pay transfer fee or do a swap (like we did with Manly early in the year). Maybe we get Kyle and up and coming youngster that Flanno agrees and Gus gets Hunt.

If Hunt wants to stay, he is welcome to stay but he has to put an end to all media reports. He has to take a more mentoring role with our younger halves (Amone and Sullivan) and try to be a role model for club rebuilding years.

Finally, this media talk that Hunt wants out because he wants to win premiership only would make sense if Hunt wants to join one of the top 4 clubs and none of them seem to be interested in Hunt. Joining Bulldogs (15th) or Titans (10th) would not bring him premiership.

Parko1310

Juniors
Regarding Ben Hunt, he is been Dragon's best player for the last 2.5 years. He is our only marquee player. Nobody denies it. But, as a captain the last 2.5 year, he has been a failure. The Hook/Hunt (Hook coach/Hunt captain) era had been a dismal failure. And let's face it Hook tried to build a team around Hunt. Hook even brought in players such Maguire and Norman et al from Hunt's younger years and that did not work. So if Hunt wants out, let him leave but the club that gets him has to pay a hefty transfer fee (and why not - Rooster's were asking transfer fee for Ryles). If Gus wants Hunt, let him come out and say he will be happy to pay transfer fee or do a swap (like we did with Manly early in the year). Maybe we get Kyle and up and coming youngster that Flanno agrees and Gus gets Hunt.

If Hunt wants to stay, he is welcome to stay but he has to put an end to all media reports. He has to take a more mentoring role with our younger halves (Amone and Sullivan) and try to be a role model for club rebuilding years.

Finally, this media talk that Hunt wants out because he wants to win premiership only would make sense if Hunt wants to join one of the top 4 clubs and none of them seem to be interested in Hunt. Joining Bulldogs (15th) or Titans (10th) would not bring him premiership.
Tell Gus he can get stuffed, do not do business with him under any circumstance. If he thinks he can just come in and talk to our players and encourage them to go to the Dogs and get away with it, just tell him no. We won't be releasing any player to go to the Dogs, simple as that. Business with the Titans maybe, only in the case we get a worthwhile player swap in return. Otherwise, sorry Ben you've got a contract, and you won't be going anywhere unless it's under our terms.

independent

Juniors

Wants to win a comp.... Did he honestly think we were going to win a comp when he signed his new contract???? its a cop out, bloody hell his on a million dollars a year ......

mickeylane

Bench
Flanagan will be on a mission to prove to everyone his worth.. he won’t leave no stone unturned.. no player will get a free ride and worry for youngsters like Sloan and Feagai who are error riddled.. I expect a gun support team around him and a couple of big bopper forwards to push around opposing teams.. I’m very comfortable w this appointment..as for Hunt I’ve already aired my opinion - sit the little prick out for 2 years.. he can recommence his career at 36!!

getsmarty

Immortal
Haven't they already stated as much?

Beat me to the punch...

its all click bait...people need to realize these "Journos " take one statement out of context and build a narrative on top of it...

He is in origin camp... All he has stated is that he would like to finish his career in QLD..( nothing new )...After his current deal lapses...

Last edited:

SGMax

Juniors
Haven't they already stated as much?
No they haven't...that's what frustrates me.
All I keep hearing is :
-We hope he will want to stay
-that they will play him at 7 as he wants so he will stay
-He should be happy with the coach we have chosen
-We are making changes that would satisfy Hunt's need to play Finals
-Our decisions show that we are moving forward and not starting from scratch with a rebuild
Hunt needs to show solidarity and show the team that he is in for the future success of the club.

Nutz

Bench
Time for the Dragons to end this BS and say that Ben Hunt is under contract and will not be released under any circumstances.
If he starts kicking stones then let him play 2nd grade for a while.
That sounds like a song that's been played out for a lot of clubs these days.
The one that still leaves a bad taste in my mouth was when Josh Aloiai was told he can mow lawns by my tiges, he joined a long list of tiger let downs.
The big thing at play now is this is Hunt's last contract and he'll be wanting the best coin and what's best for him and his family.
As much as I don't like the way players seem to have it over clubs, I kinda get it.
Would you not do the same... honestly now?

Gippsy

Bench
If it was about winning a premiership, why would he move now and not when his mate Griffin was in charge?

We were going nowhere under Griffin and now we have the same side, a better coach and the prospect of better players joining. These leaving for a premiership, not wanting to be part of a rebuild comments, just don't make sense.

I'm pretty confident he'll stay. If by chance Flanno can't convince him to stay then we should get some good players in return as part of a swap deal.

dannyt

Coach
If it was about winning a premiership, why would he move now and not when his mate Griffin was in charge?

We were going nowhere under Griffin and now we have the same side, a better coach and the prospect of better players joining. These leaving for a premiership, not wanting to be part of a rebuild comments, just don't make sense.

I'm pretty confident he'll stay. If by chance Flanno can't convince him to stay then we should get some good players in return as part of a swap deal.
There have been worse excuses. How about the drive to Wollongong is too far?