What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cody Ramsey

SnowDragon

Juniors
For season 2021, I would first tie up our key young guns long term, maybe two years with a two year option in favour of the club. Worst we could do would be to have a strong, young, talented Canterbury Cup side.

Then on balance look at how players fit into our top 17 moving into the future. This is a judgement call best made by experienced coaches. Then go for it; select on form with the future in mind.

So on balance:
Is Dufty our fullback into the future?
Are the Feagai twins our future on the left edge?
Who are our best halves pairing into the future?
Is Hunt better for the team as a halfback or hooker?
Do we have a forward pack that can dominate?

you mean, what is needed to make our forward pack dominate

Last edited:

Maddragon99

Juniors
Dude, I’m talking about the try, not the result.
Hilarious. So losing is totally fine with you as long as we score a cool try? FFS.

I couldn’t careless how many flashy tries gets scored I’m only interested in winning footy games & an eventual premiership. Winning ugly is fine with me as long as we win.

I probably come across as a Dufty hater, I’m not. Simply saying a few flashes of brilliance isn’t going to win us a premiership, we need consistency from all 17 players & Dufty isn’t that type of player. He’d be more effective off the bench to make an impact were needed.

redv13

Bench
Hilarious. So losing is totally fine with you as long as we score a cool try? FFS.

I couldn’t careless how many flashy tries gets scored I’m only interested in winning footy games & an eventual premiership. Winning ugly is fine with me as long as we win.

I probably come across as a Dufty hater, I’m not. Simply saying a few flashes of brilliance isn’t going to win us a premiership, we need consistency from all 17 players & Dufty isn’t that type of player. He’d be more effective off the bench to make an impact were needed.
Dufty starts at 1 or he can go and chat with our reserve grade coach. Simple really

Crush

Coach

Lol.
Dufty off the bench. Are you kidding?
Where are you going to insert Dufty?
Hes a fullback or nothing, he has zero versatility.
Dufty off the bench is crazy talk dude.
Sounds like a McGregor move.

redVinme

Juniors
Lol.
Dufty off the bench. Are you kidding?
Where are you going to insert Dufty?
Hes a fullback or nothing, he has zero versatility.
Dufty off the bench is crazy talk dude.
Sounds like a McGregor move.

Bellamy used paps in that exact role before he took over full time. I'm not saying I would but it's not like it hasn't been done.

redVinme

Juniors
Where did he insert him? In what position?

Roving lock I spose. Small ball with Brandon Smith also on. With an actual game plan to use him of course.

That said. Dufty is not that player as he lacks the effort to consistently support the ball carrier.
Funnily I recall 2nd half of last game Ramsey was playing that role like choc coming in and supporting from the wing.

George Sancti

Juniors
I expect that there have been occasions when a dynamic player has been introduced from the bench and scored the match winning try.

However, I see the main reasons for having a back on the bench is to cover as many positions as possible in the event of an injury or to lift the defensive effort if we are endeavouring to hold onto a small lead. If Dufty is selected I see him as part of the run on team and not off the bench.

redVinme

Juniors
Pap was used as a rookie on the bench to get use to FG. Most games he played less than 10min, longer game time when the game was won early. He was not used as a game breaker.

I see what you are saying but I was responding to whether having an fb on the bench was a Mary play. Either way Melb used a bench spot for an fb. With a plan being the difference as I pointed out.

Melb also had the luxury of never needing a "game breaker" as they would most likely have been winning.

Would I put duff there. Never ever. Can I see the value with the right player and team. Absolutely.

George Dragon

Juniors
I see what you are saying but I was responding to whether having an fb on the bench was a Mary play. Either way Melb used a bench spot for an fb. With a plan being the difference as I pointed out.

Melb also had the luxury of never needing a "game breaker" as they would most likely have been winning.

Would I put duff there. Never ever. Can I see the value with the right player and team. Absolutely.
The original post was about using Dufty as a game breaker, I though that was what you were replying to.
All good.

BLM01

First Grade
Bellamy used paps in that exact role before he took over full time. I'm not saying I would but it's not like it hasn't been done.
Yes to ease him into 1st grade, not after establishing himself in a 1st grade position as Dufty has.

redVinme

Juniors
Yes to ease him into 1st grade, not after establishing himself in a 1st grade position as Dufty has.

Again I was taking about whether it would/could be done. Which again I agree Dufty shouldn't. All I said was that there has been instances in which an fb has been played

Hence why I said I don't think it should be an option. All I said was the Bellamy had done something similar to paint the picture (no pun) that it's not exactly a Mary special.

I am aware the circumstances don't align perfectly

possm

Coach
I'd be happy to see Dufty start at fullback in round 1 but would be very disappointed if nothing has changed and he still retains his fullback position. Same goes for Norman at 6 and Hunt at 7.

Griffin will do all he can to toughen up his forward pack and improve their defence however, unless we recruit a couple of tough nuts, this is what we have for 2021 and so, our halves and fullback need to grow a set or they'll find themselves in the Canterbury Cup side.

2021 is the season for grooming our young gun players and identifying suitable new replacements for season 2022. I think much will depend on:

• If De Belin becomes available
  • Where Griffin plays Jack Bird
So if Dufty is only suitable for the fullback position, it will be first grade or Canterbury Cup. Flashy attacking play is great but we also need good defence, confident high ball marks, sound positional play and good communication between the fullback and his backline.

blacksafake

First Grade

Fair Dinkum, Where have I said I’m fine with losing?
My comment was in reply to an individual try as mentioned in rasaints post.
As for using him off the bench that would be a waste of a bench spot.

FWIW I’m ok with Dufty starting the season in the 1 & with hopefully a better game plan to suit his strengths along with an improvement from the pack his speed will be a danger to the defence. If not then Ramsey will most likely take over.

possm

Coach

FWIW I’m ok with Dufty starting the season in the 1 & with hopefully a better game plan to suit his strengths along with an improvement from the pack his speed will be a danger to the defence. If not then Ramsey will most likely take over.
Schiller and Sloan will most likely also be showcasing their skills in Canterbury Cup. So for Dufty it will be step up or step down.

Maddragon99

Juniors

I’m a huge Ramsey fan boy & I make no apologies for that. But I’m going to shut up about the Ramsey v’s Dufty who’s better question. The season will play out & I think I’ll be proved correct. But at the end of the day winning is the only thing that matters & if we can win with Dufty at fullback & Ramsey on the wing then that’s totally fine with me.

redv13

Bench
I’m a huge Ramsey fan boy & I make no apologies for that. But I’m going to shut up about the Ramsey v’s Dufty who’s better question. The season will play out & I think I’ll be proved correct. But at the end of the day winning is the only thing that matters & if we can win with Dufty at fullback & Ramsey on the wing then that’s totally fine with me.
I’d be happy to see the back 3 as Dufty, Ramsey and Ravalawa for round 1