What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cody Ramsey

Maddragon99

Juniors
Good lawd ! You don’t have one of those ‘ Duffy voodoo dolls ‘ do you - the type that you stick all those pins into ? ?

Listen I am not a Duffy fanboy , the bloke is not the best fullback in the comp by a long shot , however he can win a game in a blink of an eye . There would be numerous NRL coaches out there who would love to have him in their team - even allowing for his shortcomings in defense and under the high ball .

You simply do not get rid of a player if he is not quite the right fit . A good coach will ‘ fit ‘ him into his game plan - ( yikes ! A game plan , I forgot that we now have a coach who actually has a game plan with an A , B , C and possibly even a D how bluudy wonderful ! ) .

I believe that most Dragon fans know that Ramsey is the heir apparent to the fullback position , it is only a case of when - as I had mentioned in my previous post - the good news is that the team has 2 very potent weapons that will bring plenty of points , you do not throw one of those weapons away because of mere statistics .
There’s definitely a place in the squad for Dufty he could be a very useful utility who could cover fullback or in the halves. I’m not advocating that we punt him,

I’ve been saying for over a year even before I knew of Ramsey that Dufty isn’t the fullback of a top 4 team. He’s great but he’s not good enough & the analytics back this up. His overall stats are not close to Tedesco, Papenhuyzen, Gutherson. Even Edwards from Penrith topped the list for kick return meters.

if Ramsey is going to be the eventual fullback then the sooner the better. Give them both opportunities in the trials & see how they go.

There’s definitely a place in the squad for Dufty he could be a very useful utility who could cover fullback or in the halves. I’m not advocating that we punt him,

I’ve been saying for over a year even before I knew of Ramsey that Dufty isn’t the fullback of a top 4 team. He’s great but he’s not good enough & the analytics back this up. His overall stats are not close to Tedesco, Papenhuyzen, Gutherson. Even Edwards from Penrith topped the list for kick return meters.

if Ramsey is going to be the eventual fullback then the sooner the better. Give them both opportunities in the trials & see how they go.
My feelings on Dufty is that he has talent, but is only 65% near being a top fullback. As previously mentioned countless times, defense, high ball, positional play are glaring weaknesses. These are features that all top class fullbacks possess. Ramsay is very promising but whether fullback will suit him at this point is debatable. Then next season will show where he stands. My pick is that dragons will finish 2021 between 7th and 10th place. The forwards have notable weaknesses.

Gareth67

First Grade

Now we are cooking with gas ! That - give them both a run in the position during the trails - is what we were saying in my and also red&white4evr’s posts earlier in the thread .

Still I cannot see Griffin giving young Ramsey the position at this point in time , it will take a drastic drop in form by Duffy or injury for him to lose the fullback role - imo .

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Now we are cooking with gas ! That - give them both a run in the position during the trails - is what we were saying in my and also red&white4evr’s posts earlier in the thread .

Still I cannot see Griffin giving young Ramsey the position at this point in time , it will take a drastic drop in form by Duffy or injury for him to lose the fullback role - imo .
I would prefer he start on the wing until he becomes an out and out first grader. If Dufty gets injured or form drops badly he can fill in but I see Dufty starting at 1 and hopefully Hook can use him better. I still think his skills are under utilised especially sniffing around the ruck.

Gareth67

First Grade
I would prefer he start on the wing until he becomes an out and out first grader. If Dufty gets injured or form drops badly he can fill in but I see Dufty starting at 1 and hopefully Hook can use him better. I still think his skills are under utilised especially sniffing around the ruck.

Buddy I thought that was what I just said ? Also in my previous 2 posts , as did red&white4evr .

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Was in a bad mood after some dick-head sneezed all over my basket of groceries when at the checkout at Coles . Did not mean to take it out on you Forbes , I was still spitting chips when I wrote the post . :rage:
All good mate, hopefully he didn’t have COVID. Am just very wary of not destroying the confidence of our young up and comers and after years of Mary and one year of Flanno we instantly seen progress in Dufty. I can see rapid improvement under Hook.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
For all the Dufty fanboys let’s get a few facts straight. The competition for the No. 1 jersey is already on. Ramsey is training the house down.

For all of Dufty’s attacking attributes his stats aren’t actually that remarkable & I don’t see we lose anything by starting Ramsey he’s a gun. Just as fast & elusive with a lot more upside.

-Dufty can’t tackle, his tackle efficiency is rubbish at 71%
-Dufty’s kick returns are rubbish, he ranked 34th literally thousands of meters behind Tedesco, Gutherson, RTS, Papenhuyzen, Nicoll-Klokstad & Ponga
-Dufty is very poor under the high ball, there’s no official stat for uncontested bombs but I think we’d be last
-Dufty ranked 18th (our best) in try assists but still behind Tedesco, Papenhuyzen, Gutherson & Ponga.
-Dufty didn’t rank in the top 50 for line breaks but both Papenhuyzen & Tedesco had 15.

For anyone wondering, Hunt ranked 32nd for try assists & Norman was 50th. No wonder we sucked.

Last but not least about Dufty is that he is often caught out of position and doesn't communicate with his defensive line.

rasaint

Juniors
Matt Dufty is an interesting player.

I agree behind Tedesco, Papenhuyzen etc, and that Ramsey is more likely our long term Fullback. Yet Matt has an ability to produce the most sublime individual trys and has a certain freakish streak that in my estimation only Papenhuyzen can match. His Anzac day try 2019 against the roosters was the individual try of the decade imo.( turned Teddy into a turnstile, but hey let’s not mention that)

I do disagree with the degree that some posters double down on him by saying defence , high balls and.positional play are weaknesses. Generally Matt’s defence is acceptable not great, most high ball catches are caught and positional play can be quite a nebulous concept in comparing between players. Also, Teddy, Papenhuyzen , Edwards etc are behind big go forward punishing packs; our forwards in the last 2 years are really struggling. Playing behind the 2018 dragons pack Matt scored 13 trys, some with astounding individual brilliance, a couple very long range and some with great positional anticipation.

Let’s see how he goes this year. BTW I hope the gifted one continues to improve this year. We have a few others in his position ready to challenge.

Maddragon99

Juniors

I agree behind Tedesco, Papenhuyzen etc, and that Ramsey is more likely our long term Fullback. Yet Matt has an ability to produce the most sublime individual trys and has a certain freakish streak that in my estimation only Papenhuyzen can match. His Anzac day try 2019 against the roosters was the individual try of the decade imo.( turned Teddy into a turnstile, but hey let’s not mention that)

I do disagree with the degree that some posters double down on him by saying defence , high balls and.positional play are weaknesses. Generally Matt’s defence is acceptable not great, most high ball catches are caught and positional play can be quite a nebulous concept in comparing between players. Also, Teddy, Papenhuyzen , Edwards etc are behind big go forward punishing packs; our forwards in the last 2 years are really struggling. Playing behind the 2018 dragons pack Matt scored 13 trys, some with astounding individual brilliance, a couple very long range and some with great positional anticipation.

Let’s see how he goes this year. BTW I hope the gifted one continues to improve this year. We have a few others in his position ready to challenge.
Another way to look at it would to ask would Dufty make the 17 in any of the top 4 teams from last year? Even extend that to Canberra & Newcastle? Perhaps in the halves somewhere but not at Fullback.

if we want to compete with the big boys we need a better fullback. I’d like Dufty off the bench to be a game breaker.

Como Connection

First Grade

Spot on!

blacksafake

First Grade

A good summation rasaint.
That try against the roosters was an absolute beauty. If it was scored by one of the media pets such as Ponga it would be all over the highlight reels.

Gareth67

First Grade

Your certainly right there rasaint , our pack has been squeamish to say the least and any fullback attempting to play behind such forwards must be hard - and frustrating .

The try that you mentioned was a tremendous feat of evasiveness and speed , he pinned his ears back and and made those chooks look legless .

Also he improved dramatically in the black-end of the season apparently with Flanagan giving him a few tips so I am sure that Griffin will follow suite on that score .

Last edited:

rasaint

Juniors
One other point when asking questions about whether Matt Dufty could make it into other top NRL teams.
My answer is that I just don’t know.
How would Matt go behind a big dominate pack with a couple of forwards who can off load? The quality of players around you certainly assists your game.
For the record I would take Papenhuyzen before Tedesco as the best NSW fullback. Brimson from the Titans is electrifying. He may push Ponga out to 5/8 for QLD next year.

possm

Coach
I would go with the twins.
For season 2021, I would first tie up our key young guns long term, maybe two years with a two year option in favour of the club. Worst we could do would be to have a strong, young, talented Canterbury Cup side.

Then on balance look at how players fit into our top 17 moving into the future. This is a judgement call best made by experienced coaches. Then go for it; select on form with the future in mind.

So on balance:
Is Dufty our fullback into the future?
Are the Feagai twins our future on the left edge?
Who are our best halves pairing into the future?
Is Hunt better for the team as a halfback or hooker?
Do we have a forward pack that can dominate?

Latest posts