What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cody Ramsey

TheRev

First Grade
I mean we could upgrade Lobb into the 30, but I cant imagine he would be on more than 100k or maybe a bit more.. its not like for like.. and im sure we cant just frontload it all. There are no other kids that come to mind that are ready for that promotion.. so I think it has to be external.

TheRev

First Grade
Can only replace Ramsey with a like player and cannot upgrade a player in the top 30.
Yaa but Lobb isn't a Top 30 player, he's not even in our development squad either, however he's probably not quite ready, and he's worth nowhere near 400k, so if we want to get value out of this money.. we have to go external.

What the NRL are trying to do is make sure we don't just play with 29 and frontload 400k into someone's contract now, so we can get an advantage for 2024.. although tbh if we wanted to do that I dont see the big deal.. there has been absolutely no advantage to the club out of all this.. its an absolute pita for our 2023 and 2024 planning & cap, made considerably worse by the NRL taking 3mths to make a decision.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Can only replace Ramsey with a like player

Thankfully they don’t mean “like player” in attitude, as his attitude will be hard to replace..

Love his passion for the game & general attitude to life.. He’s not your cookie cutter stock standard attitude you normally see from NRL players…

Hope he gets back on deck at some point..

Go well, speedy Gonzales.

Can only replace Ramsey with a like player and cannot upgrade a player in the top 30.

The SMH is reporting it too -

Dragon David

First Grade
I'm not sure that if they are on contracts already they are allowed to top them up or upgrade them. Also they are not like for like.
Here we have a winger/fullback who we have been able to obtain salary cap dispensation for because of his long term illness. We need to get a like for like replacement, who? Are the Dragons looking here or overseas? The Roosters have already signed a possible replacement for Daniel Toupou. A guy from Wakefield Trinity Super League named Lewis Murphy. Good highlights reel available if any one is bothered. Has height, speed and is a try scoring machine. He is the type of winger we should be getting.

Who am I kidding?

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I'm pretty sure we can upgrade a player from our T&T list as they dont officially have a contract, but maybe wrong there.

If so then Lobb, Sione Finau and possibly Tamale would come into consideration.

The term like-for-like is pretty broad. Cody is a backline player, able to play fb, wing and even centre, not a set positional player.

If that were the case then maybe Tamale would be a good option. Just to get him into the top 30 earlier than anticipated, seeing hrs already jumped from SG Ball to Flegg and now to KOE Cup.

Lobby and Finau will most likely move to the DS next year in any case.

TheRev

First Grade
We could definitely upgrade one of the reserve graders.. its just that they would be on like say 120k (per annum), so we would only be using a fraction of the available cap relief we just got.. but I guess as much as it's about the money.. it was also the extra 'player' we can have in our 30 now, Cody was counted before.

Lobb I think is coming along well, I think he would be a development player for 2024.. not rly needing a Top30 spot yet.. Sione I'm not a fan at all.. hope im wrong but I dont think he deserves the development slot he has currently, borderline reserve grader imo. Tamale is a gun and rising quickly.. but again very young and nowhere near that sort of money.

Lets say its 400k we have (which is equivalent to 550-600k annually, depending how long we wait to sign someone), that's a genuine star wingers price.. so we are in a real pickle tbh.. this is probably not the outcome the dragons were expecting.. we probably thought we could use our cap money as we saw fit.. esp given we already had to get around the Cody situation given they took 3 freaking months to decide.

I'm sure if it was the Roosters they'd have no trouble stealing some superstar on a short-term contract.. but our recruitment is more challenging.

Dragon David

First Grade
Here we have a winger/fullback who we have been able to obtain salary cap dispensation for because of his long term illness. We need to get a like for like replacement, who? Are the Dragons looking here or overseas? The Roosters have already signed a possible replacement for Daniel Toupou. A guy from Wakefield Trinity Super League named Lewis Murphy. Good highlights reel available if any one is bothered. Has height, speed and is a try scoring machine. He is the type of winger we should be getting.

Who am I kidding?
The Roosters have already signed Dominic Young from the Knights as well. When will it end.

It makes me sick to see the Roosters go gung ho and get, him and him and him. Who's left?

dungay dragon

Juniors
"How do they do it"? I wonder!

They have great business men making the right decisions and backing each other all the way rather than squabble at every meeting like our "Bored" members.
Like for likes...DD
How about Xavier Savage (Raiders) Blake Taafe (Bunnies)
Both with plenty of upside and versatility ...
Not like for like ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
While on the Bunnies ..Would seriously recommend we make a play for Liam Knight .Resumed yesterday and is a beast , who would add plenty of thrust to our forward pack . Front row or back row.
Bunnies will be shedding players to accommodate Wighton ..
Those two ideal..

Dragon David

First Grade
While most clubs have their problems, injuries wise etc., our year started off badly when we lost the services of Cody Ramsey. He was the player that I had expected to really shine this year but very unfortunately, his illness prevented him that opportunity to do his thing for us this year. There would definitely been a couple of games that we could have won instead of losing had we had him playing.

I have liked Sloan and am glad that he has been given a good chance to play in first grade and gain experience in this very important position. However, Ramsey showed me that he had the makings of a star for this year and Sloan maybe playing on the wing, but with this thought, he still lacks the toughness to make a strong try scoring winger. Speed he has, but toughness he hasn't in my opinion.

Anyway, good luck to Cody. I really hope that he overcomes this illness and he comes back next year bigger and better.

cusnjed

Juniors
FB claiming that Cody's mum has stated he's looking for a comeback next year.
I had posted this on the Rumours as well.

My son had the same disease and needed to have his whole bowel removed then reconstructive surgery to make a somewhat normal exit system so no bag required after. I very much doubt high impact sport would be realistic if Cody has anything similar done. Good luck to him though, he has been missed