What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coe = Prince is biggest diver in NRL

Frustrated Fan

Juniors
Maybe the cats had the whistles. Carney stayed down to get a penalty for shoulder contact. Anasta stayed down to bring attention to the fact that Carney was staying down. The referees rewarded them.

boxhead

First Grade
Whoever is biased enough to think Prince's dive was worse than Anasta's or Carney's needs to be smacked in the head. Ironically, that's what happened to poor Princie :lol:

I'm not too angry at Carney, but it was a 10/10 act.
Anasta......was absolutely disgraceful. I like Anasta, but that was a 0/10 lowlife act.
Prince....well he did get hit high, so penalty sufficient; any player does that. 5/10 because he actually did get hit high.

Last edited:

Tom Ace

Bench
Anastas was the worst I have ever seen.

000fs937.gif

age.s

First Grade
diving is a touchy topic.

yes it is soft. but on the other hand, if it deserves a penalty then diving is a tactic used to draw attention to it so full credit to him.

the dives which annoy me are the bastards who dive to appear obstructed.

I don't see how it's a controversial or touchy topic. It's sh*t behavior, and it sucks seeing it in our game. That sh*t bores me no end in soccer, League is a better game without it.

There were plenty of dives etc but if the referees reward them constantly, why not continue it? If you dive and referees don't penalise the 'offender', players won't stay down.

And Prince's "Hit" on the jaw looked a lot worse in slow motion.

RugbyHighlights

Juniors
Im pretty sure there is not one fan in here that can say a player from there team has never taken a dive, it seems to be apart of our game now, the players (and i mean all players from all teams) are coached to do whatever it takes to get an advatage, and in this day and age a penalty usually results in a try.

TBH it's not about whether or not they're coached.

The people with power to change the game should stamp it out.

It'll end just like soccer and basketball unless Gallop and his cronies man up and say diving won't be tolerated.

Diving is one of the worst acts in the game.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Wow, what an epic case of starting a thread too early. Prince is a notorious diver, but at least he was actually hit high.

Carney and Anasta really outdid him last night.

Carney put his head down like he'd been KO'd by Foreman. There's nothing worse in my book. Sure you can roll around feigning agony like a fool, but faking unconcsiousness, ala Hayne, Kennedy and now Carney, is the pinnacle of softness.

hattori hanzo

Juniors
The shot on prince was no different to Peteros.

Anasta is the Catai's apprentice and all divers should be made to run out in skirts

TBH it's not about whether or not they're coached.

The people with power to change the game should stamp it out.

It'll end just like soccer and basketball unless Gallop and his cronies man up and say diving won't be tolerated.

Diving is one of the worst acts in the game.

Don't know how you stop it apart from not letting the video refs look at it. In my opinion Prince was hit high and deserved the penalty, the refs on the field missed it, they seem to miss a lot.

The Anasta and Carney incident is different, The video ref should have told the refs on the field to play on. Maybe to discourage such dives introduce a penalty against a team that takes a dive. It will mean a player will only stay down if he believes he is genuinely hit if he knows he runs the risk of a penalty against him.

Danish

Referee
While I agree Anasta stayed down, his was clearly only an attempt to draw the refs attention to prince's off the ball shoulder charge on carney.

What prince did would have winded carney, getting hit late after a pass tends to mean you aren't braced for it, and has been a penalty all year (hark back to the roosters dogs game where JWH was penalized for tackling a bloke off the ball)

Friend was the biggest diver out there last night. He literally was falling over with no one even remotely near him. Can't blame him though since every time he did it he got a penalty

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
While I agree Anasta stayed down, his was clearly only an attempt to draw the refs attention to prince's off the ball shoulder charge on carney.

What prince did would have winded carney, getting hit late after a pass tends to mean you aren't braced for it, and has been a penalty all year (hark back to the roosters dogs game where JWH was penalized for tackling a bloke off the ball)

Friend was the biggest diver out there last night. He literally was falling over with no one even remotely near him. Can't blame him though since every time he did it he got a penalty

Come on.. It was a micro-second late. Prince couldn't have pulled out, and if Carney had dummied, it would have been called a great tackle. Carney went down like he'd been shot, and lay motionless like he was dead.

And pointing out that Anasta only stayed down to draw the ref's attention to Carney's dive, is no excuse for either.

Danish

Referee
It was as late as matai's on Emmys, except prince didn't try and take his head off.

You are niave if you think prince didn't know what he was doing. He is a smart player and saw a chance to rough up our star play maker. Most players would have taken it, but it is still a penalty

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
It was as late as matai's on Emmys, except prince didn't try and take his head off.

You are niave if you think prince didn't know what he was doing. He is a smart player and saw a chance to rough up our star play maker. Most players would have taken it, but it is still a penalty

Carney dummied and Prince lined him up. There is no way Prince could have pulled out after Carney released the ball the second time.

Despite this, you're ignoring the fact that it was still a dive. Plain and simple. Carney wasn't winded, he lay motionless like he was out cold. But he wasn't because he took the ball straight after receiving the penalty and set up the try. Anasta stayed down like he was injured. But he wasn't because he scored that try.

They both took a dive.

Danish

Referee
They both stayed down to ensure the illegal action was penalized, yes.

Much like prince did in the first half, or countless others have done before it.

It's quite funny really that for all the lying down we've had in this finals series, the 1 flush jaw hit that genuinely knocked out the ball runner went without penalty (Dwyer on JWH)

cleary89

Coach

thats why its so bad. gets tackled, yelling at the ref pointing at carney. decides not to get up.

biggest dog.

RugbyHighlights

Juniors
Don't know how you stop it apart from not letting the video refs look at it. In my opinion Prince was hit high and deserved the penalty, the refs on the field missed it, they seem to miss a lot.

The Anasta and Carney incident is different, The video ref should have told the refs on the field to play on. Maybe to discourage such dives introduce a penalty against a team that takes a dive. It will mean a player will only stay down if he believes he is genuinely hit if he knows he runs the risk of a penalty against him.

You review games and punish people who cheat. Pretty easy concept

Doesn't need to be dealt with in real time, that'd slow the game down so i can understand why people would be against that.

But post game, sure, find the cheaters and punish them. This should apply to any form of cheating

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Semi finals and we are talking about this, FFS.

Hypothetical - there is 1 minute to go, you are trailing by four in the major semi. It's the 5th tackle. You cart the ball up, you get hit across the face, nothing malicious, but you are hit with a swinging arm.

Do you:

1 - Stay down even though you can get up, and get a penalty and another set of six?
2 - Get up and play the ball knowing that one more tackle and you are done and dusted for the season?

Anyone who chooses option two is f**king geniused.

Wake up and smell the coffee, FFS. It is not rocket science.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
PS: If you get hit across the face, it is meant to be a penalty.

Why should the player NOT be penalised, just because the ref misses it? Get f**ked. You stay down and get the rightful penalty. Anyone who wouldn't is an imbecile and a complete liar.