What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

College Football game for Sydney

nick87

Coach
I enjoyed seeing the jersey's in the crowd. My mate and i were drinking every time we saw a "poor investment"... a few of my favourites:

- All Hayne jersey's got a drink (multiple)
- McCoy Philly jersey's got a drink (multiple)
- McFadden Raiders jersey, just the one
- Rice Ravens jersey's (two)
- Aj Jenkins Niners jersey (We drank 3 times for this because holy shit, someone actually brought a mother f**king AJ Jenkins Niners jersey)
- Stafford Lions jersey, some poor fool was rocking this and it made me sad in my pants
- Browns RG3 jersey
- Clairborne Dallas jersey
- DeMarco Philly jersey
- Graham Seattle jersey

suffice to say it could have gone all day but they ran out of f**king beer!

thorson1987

Coach
I enjoyed seeing the jersey's in the crowd. My mate and i were drinking every time we saw a "poor investment"... a few of my favourites:

- All Hayne jersey's got a drink (multiple)
- McCoy Philly jersey's got a drink (multiple)
- McFadden Raiders jersey, just the one
- Rice Ravens jersey's (two)
- Aj Jenkins Niners jersey (We drank 3 times for this because holy shit, someone actually brought a mother f**king AJ Jenkins Niners jersey)
- Stafford Lions jersey, some poor fool was rocking this and it made me sad in my pants
- Browns RG3 jersey
- Clairborne Dallas jersey
- DeMarco Philly jersey
- Graham Seattle jersey

suffice to say it could have gone all day but they ran out of f**king beer!

Probably saw GKD with his on.

Paullyboy

Coach
I haven't been to a game in Australia, and even if it was in Brisbane probably wouldn't have bothered as it just wouldn't be the same as going to one in America.

But having said that, I'm pretty jealous of Nick's day.

Valheru

Coach
I was disappointed with the experience to be honest. I was expecting a full crowd and it was barely half full despite the alleged 60k attendance figure. I note the beer ran out but I don't drink half strength and certainly not at full strength price so sneaking in vodka was no issue.

The game itself was boring and the ridiculous media breaks made it feel like it went forever.

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
I had a great time and would not hesitate to go again. However for the average fan the game went on for far to long. If it wants more people to attend it has to be shorter than 4 hours

Valheru

Coach
I had a great time and would not hesitate to go again. However for the average fan the game went on for far to long. If it wants more people to attend it has to be shorter than 4 hours

It was too long for hardcore fans let alone the casual ones. I watch as much NFL and College as most people and the beauty of college is that most matches apart from the ones with national coverage are a lot quicker than NFL games. As it was, this was superbowl like in length.

Still, I hope they try it again but I think it would be a better spectacle at a rectangle oval, specifically the SFS. Suncorp would also be an option and maybe Etihad but not sure what the appetite for American Football is like in those cities.

Paullyboy

Coach
Yeah playing it at the Olympic stadium would definitely hurt the atmosphere, but I'm guessing there isn't enough sideline space at a proper footy oval for the 100 odd hangers-on for each team.

As for the duration, I love American football, but always describe it as being like test cricket. You don't just sit down by yourself and watch it from start to finish, it's best experienced with mates or with multiple matches going on at once so you don't notice all the downtime.

thorson1987

Coach
Yeah playing it at the Olympic stadium would definitely hurt the atmosphere, but I'm guessing there isn't enough sideline space at a proper footy oval for the 100 odd hangers-on for each team.

As for the duration, I love American football, but always describe it as being like test cricket. You don't just sit down by yourself and watch it from start to finish, it's best experienced with mates or with multiple matches going on at once so you don't notice all the downtime.

ALLIANZ would have been perfect for it. Crowd would have been smaller though.

Also i think 1 reason of the lack of atmosphere was 99% of people there were neutrals.

Alex28

Coach
If either of the teams had done any promo (bar the Matty Johns Show) it might have built some allegiances. There was 6 in our group - none of us were going for anybody, and the majority would have been in the same boat.

If they do it again hopefully they'll send Cal back out. I'll be keeping an eye on them this season as a result of this game.

Was a fun day - I had no issue with timeframes. The game is what it is and you didn't see too many people leave early.

I couldn't believe they underestimated the crowds so badly - they could have sold twice the merch that they did (the variety was pretty poor - no Nike Cal merch for example), not expecting to sell beer and food at a game over lunch is a really poor screw up.

I'll go again next year. It would have been a huge success for the outlay (I read it was a Cal home game and got paid $1 Million for the game). It'll happen again.

As for obscure jerseys, that Lions Hayne jersey is a cracker, however I did see a Hayne jersey that someone tried to change into a Hyde jersey with some red texta and what looked like liquid paper...

nick87

Coach
:D i just added that in for you ;)

IN all seriousness we really should have shot up heroin with the AJ Jenkins jersey. We had to google it to figure out who it might be.