What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

College Football game for Sydney

DC_fan

Coach
HIS own NFL career continues to be gripped by question and uncertainty. But even with his faith tested roughly 12,000km away in San Francisco, Jarryd Hayne is still delivering for New South Wales.

The Sunday Telegraph can reveal that Hayne’s star power was a major influence on officials in the US agreeing to a deal which will see Sydney’s ANZ Stadium host the first American college football match to be played in Australia next August.

And also, the opening game of the NCAA season between the University of California versus the University of Hawaii, at Sydney Olympic Park, will be used as a catalyst towards proving that NSW has the American football fanbase and facilities to host an NFL match.

“We’ve been working with the NFL and the associate bodies for a length of time and we think the logical place to start is with college football,’’ NSW Minister for Tourism, Major Events and SportThe match between the University of California and the University of Hawaii will kick-off at 2pm in the afternoon and as the only College football match scheduled by the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) that day, a live US prime-time TV audience.

Joining the combined touring party of 420 players, coaching staff and supporters who will arrive from both teams, will also be each of the two college’s traditional marching bands and cheerleaders, which entertain average crowds of 100,000 every Saturday during the College football season. Stuart Ayres said.

Obviously there’s a lot of interest in Jarryd Hayne from the Australian audience and that was projected really well into the States

Stuart Ayres

“An NFL match is a stretch for everyone. They don’t play that many home and away matches and the squads are massive so it takes a lot to move an NFL team out of the States.

“But we want to showcase and demonstrate to the NFL through this college match that we’re capable of doing that, so I think that is a really strong indication into our desire and want to host an NFL match here.

Long regarded as a staple of American sporting culture, their famous pre-game tailgate parties — where fans meet, eat and drink out of the boot of their car’s prior to the match — will also be part of the festivities in and around the ANZ Stadium precinct.

The announcement comes just over 13-months since Hayne declared he was quitting the NRL to chase his NFL dream.

Against all the odds, Hayne, the boy who grew up in a two-bedroom house in Sydney’s west, won a contract with the 49ers to make his NFL debut in September.

We’ve been working with the NFL and the associate bodies for a length of time and we think the logical place to start is with college football

Stuart Ayres

Ayres said that there was no denying Hayne’s NFL odyssey and arrival — albeit now an uncertain future — at the San Francisco 49ers, played an intrinsic role in securing the deal, which will add $10 million to the NSW economy.

“Absolutely,’’ Ayres replied, when asked if Hayne’s incredible story played a role during the negotiation phase with NCAA officials.

“There’s no doubt about.

“Obviously there’s a lot of interest in Jarryd Hayne from the Australian audience and that was projected really well into the States ... it demonstrated to the administrators that Australia would be a really good market to take a game.’’

Tickets for the match go on sale to the general public on December 7 with organisers confident of attracting a sold-out ANZ Stadium.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ry-fni2flhh-1227626679443#load-story-comments
The University of California boasts a rich football history, having won five NCAA titles since their inception. Super Bowl champions Marshawn Lynch, from the Seattle Seahawks, and Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers are two of a long list of past and present NFL players to have attended the college.

The University of Hawaii is widely known to American football fans in Australia, with Colin Scotts the first Australian to receive an American football scholarship in the US and be drafted into the NFL.

Former Balmain and Test forward Paul Sironen also spent time trialling with the college, while former AFL player Scott Harding had a successful four years with the college as a wide receiver.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ry-fni2flhh-1227626679443#load-story-comments

DC_fan

Coach
It is not the first college game to be played in Australia. Back in the mid 1980s I watched the University of Texas El Paso play the University of Wyoming in Melbourne

BuffaloRules

Coach
California v Hawaii.

Meh.

Don't think it will get near the 70K that the NFL pre season game in 1999 got...

BuffaloRules

Coach
The only spin that they can put on California is that Rodgers and Lynch went their 10+ years ago...

Now if they can somehow convince them to play...

Last edited:

DC_fan

Coach
I think they may have been better to play it at Allianz Stadium. Better viewing for the fans and a better chance of filling the stadium.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Lol @ the people complaining about the teams. Be grateful you're even getting one. It's a strange attitude to have considering how rare we get one.

I'll be getting tickets as soon as they come out

zombie jesus

Staff member
So who can buy tickets tomorrow, any Telstra customers?

I have my broadband account with Telstra, does that count?

Yeah you need a telstra account and registered for telstra thanks rewards where you buy the tickets through. I just got my tickets, there was some fault with Telstra not recognising accounts at the on sale time but it's been fixed.

Latest posts