What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Combined Brothers bid

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Swap the blue with the green then swap the white out for the orange from their logo and you've got a unique brand that wouldn't really clash with any other teams jerseys except the Rabbits if they don't make the orange light enough.

Brothers428_-60.png

Just starting to feel a bit cluttered...

The problem with using so many colours in the core design is that they cannot bring out anything new. Where Souths/Parra/Newcastle/etc. can produce any design and claim it is theirs based only on being their two colours or Dragons/Tigers/Warriors with their single colour+black-and-white, teams with 3 or more cannot change their design and maintain the recognition
(Panthers would have run into the same problem if they had stuck with the red-orange-green combo, Raiders as well when they go away from the limegreen)

If they do change, it cant be more than 2 core colours.

I understand why people don't want to change the historic branding, but they don't really have a choice. Another team with blue and white as their major colours just isn't sensible at this point.

Probably true (though it hasent stopped clubs wanting to take on blue-gold). Just a shame to lose that piece of history considering the club and jersey are almost 100 years old

Hell, maybe they could take on Orange-Green and just reference the blue butcher stripe heritage on the sleeves in a Canberra-esque way....

brothers2672_60.png

Last edited:

flippikat

Bench
I think a Navy & Green butcher stripes pattern would be great for away, similar shade of green as the South Canterbury rugby jersey would fit the bill.

9336395.jpg

As for a home jersey, white & navy butcher stripes, with the green for the small stripes, kind-of like the old GC Seagulls jersey. (Green instead of red)

gold-coast-chargers-home-rugby-shirt-1990-to-1991-s_985_1.jpg

flippikat

Bench
Swap the blue with the green then swap the white out for the orange from their logo and you've got a unique brand that wouldn't really clash with any other teams jerseys except the Rabbits if they don't make the orange light enough.

I understand why people don't want to change the historic branding, but they don't really have a choice. Another team with blue and white as their major colours just isn't sensible at this point.

Yeah, basically this - Green & black or green & navy would be unique.

Another blue & white (Bulldogs, to a lesser extent sharks) or blue & yellow/gold (Cowboys, Eels, Titans) club would not be distinctive in this competition.

And while it can be said that Souths use green & black, their brand is based around green & red - black & white are just home/away trims that support the main colour scheme.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Just starting to feel a bit cluttered...

The problem with using so many colours in the core design is that they cannot bring out anything new. Where Souths/Parra/Newcastle/etc. can produce any design and claim it is theirs based only on being their two colours or Dragons/Tigers/Warriors with their single colour+black-and-white, teams with 3 or more cannot change their design and maintain the recognition
(Panthers would have run into the same problem if they had stuck with the red-orange-green combo, Raiders as well when they go away from the limegreen)

Firstly, that design looks no more cluttered then a Rabbits jersey, which are often claimed to be the best looking jerseys in the competition.

Secondly, what makes you think that it's harder to put out new designs if you have more then two core colors? Plenty of clubs have more then two core colours and regularly put out new designs.

Thirdly, normally you are one of the ones in the jersey threads arguing that jerseys and brands in general should never change once a 'classic' (whatever that really means in this context) design is found. So why now are you worried about the possible variety if normally you'd argue a purist stance?

Finally, though it's fun to talk about possible branding, jersey designs and the such, and I do genuinely enjoy such decisions, I don't think that anyone apart from the people involved with the club and the fans should or do really have a say in a clubs brand! As the brand is a representation of them, not us.

The perfect recent example is the yellow jersey we (the Raiders) wore last year, most other teams fans hated it and said that it didn't 'look like how a Raiders jersey is supposed to look', but the vast majority of us Raiders fans really liked the design (often to our own surprise). We saw it as a step in the right direction of a larger representation of the blue and gold in our colour scheme and had in fact for years been suggesting a away jerseys with more blue and gold in the design then green to the club as a replacement for the widely hated white away jerseys we have been using for years.

Hell it was so popular that we now have a majority yellow jersey as our away jersey, though we still need to get rid of whats left of the the white in most fan's opinions (including my own), it's certainly a step in the right direction.

If they do change, it cant be more than 2 core colours.

Again why!

There's absolutely no legitimate reason why they can only have two core colours, in fact when all the the clubs in the Brothers Confraternity are taken into account, their brand already has many more core colours then two, as a quick Google search shows.

163137-305f0eb0-056c-11e4-83a6-912a0858cd66.jpg

3028280_1_O.jpg

399411-cameron-smith.jpg

logan-brothers-vneck-jersey-L.png

057797-logan-brothers-footy-club-slacks-creek-fire-lale-fundraiser.jpg

All of these are Brothers jerseys in one form or another and blue, gold, green, orange and white are all represented. BTW, guess which one is Cam Smith.

Probably true (though it hasent stopped clubs wanting to take on blue-gold). Just a shame to lose that piece of history considering the club and jersey are almost 100 years old

I've been through this story a hundred times before and can't be bothered completely typing it out again as this post is already huge, but the NSWRL had rules back in the 60s, 70s and 80s that said any new club must have a colour scheme that visually distinguishable from all the other clubs already in the competition.

Because of that rule the Raiders were turned down from being given our license twice, the first time when we were going by the name the Canberra-Queanbeyan Blues with the blues historic sky blue scheme, and once again when we had a blue and gold scheme.

I think that a similar rule should be put in place by the NRL/ARLC .

Hell, maybe they could take on Orange-Green and just reference the blue butcher stripe heritage on the sleeves in a Canberra-esque way....

No offence but that looks disjointed and is more cluttered then the one I suggested colour wise.

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Firstly, that design looks no more cluttered then a Rabbits jersey, which are often claimed to be the best looking jerseys in the competition.

The thing about souths is that they can do anything in red and green and its them. They could do a V, a sash or a quartered jersey and it would still be unmistakable because its their core combination..

If a club was to take on "blue and green butcher stripes on orange", the design has moved beyone the colours and has become dependent on the design aswell. To be recognisable in anny other design, they would NEED to maintain the "blue and green butcher stripes on orange".

Yes a club could do this, but they are entirely restricted and have immediately f*cked themselves over in all other merchandising possibilities.

Secondly, what makes you think that it's harder to put out new designs if you have more then two core colors? Plenty of clubs have more then two core colours and regularly put out new designs.

Aside from Black/white/grey (which are trim, not main colours), who does this?? The closest thing to an example i can find is the Roosters and their Tri-colours, but even that contains the receive 'White'.

Thirdly, normally you are one of the ones in the jersey threads arguing that jerseys and brands in general should never change once a 'classic' (whatever that really means in this context) design is found. So why now are you worried about the possible variety if normally you'd argue a purist stance?

Not exactly. I advocate for their CORE design/brand to remain constant (think: souths and the Red-Green stripes, Dragons and the Red-White V. Every club needs the CORE image)....

The point of there being an unchanging core is so that 9s/charity/one-offs are founded in a definite identity. In not idealistic enough to believe clubs would stop producing 5 new jerseys every year (and i dont blame them for doing it. People want to buy that shit), I just believe that these new designs need to be based on a central and unchanging brand.

(Back to the debate: i believe this core design needs to be more simple than the Orange-Green-Blue combination above, so that these peripheral designs can easily be identified as offshoots of the original)

Finally, though it's fun to talk about possible branding, jersey designs and the such, and I do genuinely enjoy such decisions, I don't think that anyone apart from the people involved with the club and the fans should or do really have a say in a clubs brand! As the brand is a representation of them, not us.

The perfect recent example is the yellow jersey we (the Raiders) wore last year, most other teams fans hated it and said that it didn't 'look like how a Raiders jersey is supposed to look', but the vast majority of us Raiders fans really liked the design (often to our own surprise). We saw it as a step in the right direction of a larger representation of the blue and gold in our colour scheme and had in fact for years been suggesting a away jerseys with more blue and gold in the design then green to the club as a replacement for the widely hated white away jerseys we have been using for years.

Hell it was so popular that we now have a majority yellow jersey as our away jersey, though we still need to get rid of whats left of the the white in most fan's opinions (including my own), it's certainly a step in the right direction.

I may be misreading this, but the points your are making seem to favour my argument more so than yours....

If the decision is left to the Brothers alone, they will probably go with the blue-white butcher stripes. If they went with your Tri-colour design, it will have been imposed on them by the ARLC.

Regarding your Raiders reference specifically, again this proves my point about teams needing a simple and recognisale core image....

The gold jersey you are refering to is a periferal design, on par with a 9s jersey. It expands on the lesser seen aspects of the brand while maintaining the distinct image (the lime green) that canberra is recognised for.

If your Brothers design was for a 9s game or a charity match, i wouldnt complain. But using it as the main is not comparable to Canberras trajectory (canberra are a perfect example of simple designs and limited colours creating the most recognisable jerseys)

Again why!

There's absolutely no legitimate reason why they can only have two core colours, in fact when all the the clubs in the Brothers Confraternity are taken into account, their brand already has many more core colours then two, as a quick Google search shows.

163137-305f0eb0-056c-11e4-83a6-912a0858cd66.jpg

Id say you just answered your own question about multiple colours. THAT is the deinition of a clusterf*ck design.

I think most would agree that this kind of jersey shouldnt be an NRL clubs main strip.

No offence but that looks disjointed and is more cluttered then the one I suggested colour wise.

Obviously the template i used isnt of a billiant quality. Basically, it was ment to be an inverse version of the Raiders colour scheme (raiders: 1 main colour + the 2 classics as trim / Potential brothers: 2 main colours + 1 classic as trim)

I wouldnt say its a good decision, but if they did use 3 colours that would be the way to do it....

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
If they do change colours, i reckon this is the style to go for...
(changing the pink obviously)

10869784_621566177972755_4373711728705311226_o.jpg

They maintain the blue-white heritage while differenciating themselves from the Bulldogs

The Great Dane

First Grade
The thing about souths is that they can do anything in red and green and its them. They could do a V, a sash or a quartered jersey and it would still be unmistakable because its their core combination..

Yes I agree, but there's no reason why a club with three or four core colours cannot do the same, in fact they can and have.

If a club was to take on "blue and green butcher stripes on orange", the design has moved beyone the colours and has become dependent on the design aswell. To be recognisable in anny other design, they would NEED to maintain the "blue and green butcher stripes on orange".

Yes a club could do this, but they are entirely restricted and have immediately f*cked themselves over in all other merchandising possibilities.

I'm sorry but you have failed to show any reason why once they move away from two colours to three that "the design has moved beyond the colours and has become dependent on the design as well".

As long as after they have settled on a set of colours and maintain their colours and the ratios at which they apply said colours relatively consistently any design will still look like it is "them".

Aside from Black/white/grey (which are trim, not main colours), who does this?? The closest thing to an example i can find is the Roosters and their Tri-colours, but even that contains the receive 'White'.

Firstly, white, black and grey can be core colours.

Secondly the Raiders, Tigers, Warriors, Cowboys, Titans, Panthers, Storm, Sharks and Broncos have all sustained colour palettes with more then two core colours.

Admittedly some have dropped colours from their palettes or have even gone through re-brands where they have completely replaced their colour palette with another one, but normally that has been met with anger from their fans and not been well received by the greater public either.

Not exactly. I advocate for their CORE design/brand to remain constant (think: souths and the Red-Green stripes, Dragons and the Red-White V. Every club needs the CORE image)....

The point of there being an unchanging core is so that 9s/charity/one-offs are founded in a definite identity. In not idealistic enough to believe clubs would stop producing 5 new jerseys every year (and i dont blame them for doing it. People want to buy that shit), I just believe that these new designs need to be based on a central and unchanging brand.

(Back to the debate: i believe this core design needs to be more simple than the Orange-Green-Blue combination above, so that these peripheral designs can easily be identified as offshoots of the original)

Firstly, three colours just isn't that complex or as incohesive as you're making out.

Secondly, you haven't shown any reasons why if a core brand is really complex it can't be cohesive.

I may be misreading this, but the points your are making seem to favour my argument more so than yours....

If the decision is left to the Brothers alone, they will probably go with the blue-white butcher stripes. If they went with your Tri-colour design, it will have been imposed on them by the ARLC.

Yep you misread it, which is my fault as after rereading it I find it's meaning to be very unclear.

What I meant was that considering that they cannot have blue and white as their colours because there're already to many teams in the NRL with shades of blue and white making up the majority of their designs that they will have to choose their new brand and that nobodies opinion but their own matters when it comes to their clubs brand.

So the whole argument is redundant as blue and white simply isn't a sensible option for them anymore and whatever we'd like to see them run out in doesn't matter.

Regarding your Raiders reference specifically, again this proves my point about teams needing a simple and recognisale core image....

The gold jersey you are refering to is a periferal design, on par with a 9s jersey. It expands on the lesser seen aspects of the brand while maintaining the distinct image (the lime green) that canberra is recognised for.

I'm sorry, but that completely contradicts everything you have been saying all along!

Not only did we altered the make up of the core brand by reducing whites place in the brand and increasing yellows, we also maintain a core image with more then 2 core colours which you have claimed from the start of our discussion is to complex and thus to difficult to achieve .

Canberra-Raiders-2015-Away-Jersey.jpg

This jersey isn't some one off (though the jersey that inspired it is) it's our new away jersey, hopefully we will proudly wear either yellow, blue or lime as the majority colour of every Raiders away jersey for the rest of our existence, which is something that the fans have been calling for since the 90s I might add.

It and it's one off Huawei predecessor were both loved by the majority of Raiders fans and widely ridiculed by non Raiders fans as "not looking like how Raiders jersey should look".

If your Brothers design was for a 9s game or a charity match, i wouldnt complain. But using it as the main is not comparable to Canberras trajectory (canberra are a perfect example of simple designs and limited colours creating the most recognisable jerseys)

Now your really you're really contradicting yourself to the point of not ever having a cohesive point of view (BTW I don't think that' I've ever used the word cohesive as much as I have in the last hour in my whole life), we have more core colours in our brand our brand then my proposed Orange Green and Blue design and we use them more complexly then I proposed as well!

Id say you just answered your own question about multiple colours. THAT is the deinition of a clusterf*ck design.

I think most would agree that this kind of jersey shouldnt be an NRL clubs main strip.

I agree it's a terrible design, but that doesn't mean that the same colours cannot be used to make a good design.
And my point was that they already have colours other then blue and white in their brand that they could draw from if they needed to, which in my opinon they would have to if they were to enter the NRL.

Obviously the template i used isnt of a billiant quality. Basically, it was ment to be an inverse version of the Raiders colour scheme (raiders: 1 main colour + the 2 classics as trim / Potential brothers: 2 main colours + 1 classic as trim)

I wouldnt say its a good decision, but if they did use 3 colours that would be the way to do it....

Firstly your design wouldn't just use the blue as the trim on the jersey, it would have it as an armband which is part of the desigin of the jerseys.

Secondly why not integrate the blue into the design more like my idea would and still use it as the colour for the trim and collar (which I would have done in the first place), it would make good use of the colour while still honoring the clubs heritage. And BTW there would be nothing stopping them from using variations of their blue and white stripes as their heritage/charity jersey every year.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I cant be assed to respond to that, i dont think we're going to change each others minds on the 3 colour thing (though i will say, you are by far the most interesting person to debate with on here)...

I still think there isnt a need to change the Brothers design from Blue and White. With 16 clubs, all of the good cominations are already taken, so new teams will clash with current strips regardless. The focus should be more on picking distinguished shades. So, for example, where Raiders and Souths are both predominately green, they will never be confused as one is consistently Lime while the other is Myrtle.

In the same way, where Bulldogs are Royal Blue and White or the Titans are a metallic Turquoise, the Brothers could go with Navy or even Ink Blue and Silver/Grey. They would maintain the general blue/white combo while still producing a unique combo.

Eg:Bulldogs...
download1231_like.png

Titans...
download2224_like.png

Brothers
download108_like.png

Edit: plus, if the brothers go with blue, it leaves open the possibility of a 3rd Brisbane team playing in red (as a reference to the BRL Residence team)
BRLteam867_60.png

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
I cant be assed to respond to that, i dont think we're going to change each others minds on the 3 colour thing (though i will say, you are by far the most interesting person to debate with on here)...

I'm not sure whether or not to take that as a compliment :? :lol: .

I still think there isnt a need to change the Brothers design from Blue and White. With 16 clubs, all of the good cominations are already taken, so new teams will clash with current strips regardless. The focus should be more on picking distinguished shades. So, for example, where Raiders and Souths are both predominately green, they will never be confused as one is consistently Lime while the other is Myrtle.

In the same way, where Bulldogs are Royal Blue and White or the Titans are a metallic Turquoise, the Brothers could go with Navy or even Ink Blue and Silver/Grey. They would maintain the general blue/white combo while still producing a unique combo.

Obviously I disagree, but fair enough.

Though, your Brothers scheme would still clash with the Cowboys...

Edit: plus, if the brothers go with blue, it leaves open the possibility of a 3rd Brisbane team playing in red (as a reference to the BRL Residence team)
BRLteam867_60.png

Why would they do that!?

The residence team wasn't particularly highly acclaimed, and their brand isn't particularly marketable and will never hold the same meaning as it did back then now that there're teams in the NSWRL/NRL from Brisbane (and Queensland in general).

Any new club from Brisbane would be better off either creating a new culturally and/or historically meaningful brand, or picking up one of the older more recognisable and prestigious BRL brands.
If you ask me (which you didn't, but I'll tell you anyway) none are more prestigious or recognisable then the Diehards, with the right marketing team, timing and a relatively formidable and hopefully successful team you could create a WSW style overnight sensation out of the Diehards.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Why would they do that!?

The residence team wasn't particularly highly acclaimed, and their brand isn't particularly marketable and will never hold the same meaning as it did back then now that there're teams in the NSWRL/NRL from Brisbane (and Queensland in general).

Any new club from Brisbane would be better off either creating a new culturally and/or historically meaningful brand, or picking up one of the older more recognisable and prestigious BRL brands.
If you ask me (which you didn't, but I'll tell you anyway) none are more prestigious or recognisable then the Diehards, with the right marketing team, timing and a relatively formidable and hopefully successful team you could create a WSW style overnight sensation out of the Diehards.

Yeh, i take it back. Diehards would be perfect for the 3rd Brisbane team.

Hell, id even have them over the Brothers.

oikee

Juniors
Yeh, i take it back. Diehards would be perfect for the 3rd Brisbane team.

Hell, id even have them over the Brothers.

There is only one team if you want instant support. Brothers.
The colours are legendary and iconic.

MacDougall

First Grade
And since I'll be playing at least one game before succumbing to pussification for Valleys in their C team this year, I will finally have a reason to stop supporting my fake merger team and start supporting a real club.

mistertaylor

Juniors
Brothers United - to me that sounds a lot better than "Combined Brothers" and even "Brothers Leprechauns".

Leave the colours as is but introduce a clash strip (all green with navy stripe across chest?) for when they play other clubs away such as Bulldogs, Roosters or Cowboys.

Last edited:

Knightmare

Coach
What about 'Brothers Queensland'?

That way the name implies it is a team not restricted by one region or town, but an NRL team that unites League fans and those involved at the grassroots level all across Qld.

'Brothers United' sounds too much like an A-League bid IMO.