What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Commentators - Good and Bad

Vee

First Grade
Who do you like? Who do you hate?

Thought of this as I listened to Vossy and Cronk today. Love them both.

Ennis is a surprising one for me. As a former ref, I hated his bs "gamesmanship ". He's a pest and I would have penalised him out of the game, him and Cameron Smith. But I do love his commentary.

Nealo 12

Bench
Fox sports team at Leichhardt Oval talking to Adam Doueihi about the dark times and who helped him through his 3 knee reconstructions and he just finished telling them ,
Watching Blocka he looks dazed , then it's his turn for a question , " how many knee reconstructions 3 ? who helped you through the dark times " AD face looked stunned for a few seconds before going through it again trying to make it sound different. Lolz

In order from "average" to "mute the television":

Warren Smith

Andrew Voss

Dan Ginnane, Paul Vautin.

Billy Slater, Darren Lockyer, Joey Johns, Brad Fittler

Michael Ennis, Corey Parker, Greg Alexander, Blocka

Gus Gould, Matt Thompson.

mongoose

Coach
In order from "average" to "mute the television":

Warren Smith

Andrew Voss

Dan Ginnane, Paul Vautin.

Billy Slater, Darren Lockyer, Joey Johns, Brad Fittler

Michael Ennis, Corey Parker, Greg Alexander, Blocka

Gus Gould, Matt Thompson.
of the main game callers:

Warren Smith is my favourite but even he's not that great, he can be a bit robotic.

I used to like Voss but he's terrible these days. Tries to insert too much self indulgent humour into the call. He also carries on like a team has won the grand final when they've only scored a try to make it 46-10 or something.

Ginnane is over hated on here. He's far from the worst but not great either. He can be biased and misread the game though.

Thompson is just horrible, he has no voice control. Screams like a feral bogan in a pub after 12 tinnies.
When he's not screaming he just sounds utterly bored.

Peter Psaltis sounds very similar to Thompson but less screaming so thats a positive.

Brenton Speed is ok but he's just boring

Vee

First Grade
In order from "like them" to "mute the television":

Warren Smith, Andrew Voss, Cooper Cronk, Michael Ennis, Billy Slater

Dan Ginnane,

,Darren Lockyer, Joey Johns, Brad Fittler

Corey Parker, Greg Alexander, Blocka

Gus Gould, Matt Thompson, Paul Vautin.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Are there any really good NRL commentators left anymore?

Warren Smith isn't offensive, but pretty much everybody else is somewhere on the scale of annoying to insufferable these days.

The amount of open bias that's been allowed to creep into NRL commentary and punditry in recent times is shocking as well.

Incorrect

Coach
Voss completely loses me when he gets totally fixated and sidetracked on something ultimately meaningless... Case in point when Parra challenged a decision in the Dogs game on the public holiday Monday. Parra challenged the non call of a knock-on they did and Voss just couldn't shut up about it for 5 minutes.... "Well that's extraordinary!! Have you ever seen anything like that?! I've never seen a team use a captain's challenge like that ever! Extraordinary!! Just have a think about that for a second folks - THEY made the mistake and are asking ref who missed it to go back and adjudicate on it properly!!" And so on and so forth for the next 4 and a half minutes.... FMD

Apey

Staff member
Ah a thread after my own heart. I dislike most of them. I actually like Matty Russell because he's the only one on Fox Controversy Sports that just calls the game.

Fox
Vossy - you can tell he loves the game and he's a good caller when he can stop sperging out, which is pretty much never these days
Warren Smith - Mr Incredulous, in a constant state of shock over regulation calls and decisions. Still one of the best callers but man he (perhaps irrationally) irritates me.
Dan Ginnane - something irritates me about his voice.
Matty Russell - probably my favourite and is about the 3rd or 4th choice caller because he's not over the top. I miss him being one of the main ones but he's not what Fox are going for now.

Nine
Matt Thompson - may in fact be clinically geniused, i'm not sure. Certainly seems that way on 6 Tackles with Gus/Freddy and the Eighth
Peter Psaltis - I don't have free to air so I'm struggling here but I think he's the less moronic Matt Thompson in which case he gets a pass in my books

If you like my anti-social behaviour hating pretty much every main caller I can do ones for the 'colour' commentators.

Reactions: Vee

kit66

Bench
The best;
I don't have Fox or Kayo so listen to most Dragons games on ABC Grandstand, I have for years. The commentary is great, they call the game without the gibberish and carry on you get on the TV (pay or fta) and lead commentator Andrew Moore has some cluey side kicks in John Gibbs, Ryan Hoffman and Luke Lewis.
On telly/youtube;
Freddie and the Eighth isn't bad, they tell some good stories.
Sterlo was the best on 9.

The worst;
Gus, shits me to tears, harps on and on about one player or one incident for half the game. Really tedious and annoying know all, not to mention always wanting to change the rules - (him and Joey come up with some really stupid ideas, although I don't mind Joey's insight on games in play).

Latest posts