What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Commentators - Good and Bad

Wb1234

Referee
Lockyer does not come across as a gregarious guy, so its in keeping with his character. Also looks like he's following the dictum of Richie Benaud in that regard.

Problem many NRL TV Commentators have is they come from a radio background and think that they have to describe everything that is happening like when they did radio. They are not taking advantage of the fact they are on a visual medium not audio only.
Hadlee best example of that lol

From mossop wiki
“From the early 1970s till 1990 on Sydney channels Seven and then Ten he was the voice of rugby league and the pre-eminent TV match broadcast caller.”

didn’t realise he was at channel ten

graham hughes is channel ten

The Moose moved to Channel 10 not long after Channel 7 lost the TV broadcast rights around the mid-late 1980s. He was eventually moved to colour/expert commentary and away from being the main commentator which is when Graeme Hughes came in. Mossop retired from the commentary booth at the end of 1990.

Graeme Hughes started his commentary career as a sideline reporter for Channel 10. He became the game caller in 1988, with Ian Maurice and Rex in the boot with him. Hughes was the main commentator until Channel 10 lost the TV rights due to default in payments after the 1991 season, which is when Channel 9 picked up the TV rights for the 1992 season onwards.

mongoose

Coach
I find my hatred of Voss increasing weekly. Such an unfunny up himself merkin. Plays favourites and absolutely hates my inoffensive shitty little club. I mute it if he’s commentating a Knights game.
thank you! he tries so hard to be funny, just call the game merkin

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Vossy is a good caller but with him and Ennis its painful. Vossy will talk about something that happened 5 minutes which no one cares and Ennis will just laugh at anything.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
The Moose moved to Channel 10 not long after Channel 7 lost the TV broadcast rights around the mid-late 1980s. He was eventually moved to colour/expert commentary and away from being the main commentator which is when Graeme Hughes came in. Mossop retired from the commentary booth at the end of 1990.

Graeme Hughes started his commentary career as a sideline reporter for Channel 10. He became the game caller in 1988, with Ian Maurice and Rex in the boot with him. Hughes was the main commentator until Channel 10 lost the TV rights due to default in payments after the 1991 season, which is when Channel 9 picked up the TV rights for the 1992 season onwards.

I think Mossop took over from Rabs in 1986 when the Kangaroo Tour was on. The 86 Grand Final, you can hear Rabs express his disappointment on being punted by then and said that Rex Mossop and Graham Hughes would be commentators for the tour.

I believe Mossop went to Ch 9 in around 1992 and called games for NBN or WIN. I think if you Google, NSW Country Vs Great Britain, he was calling that game.