What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Commentators that have and don't have something to say.

Tunguska

Juniors
The <insert team> will find that they will have to focus on offense to will the ruck. If they're gonna shift the Steeden laterally they have to take on your Inglises and Folaus on the outer edges.

If this team takes it up the middle third and wins the contest and wins the play-the-ball, there is a chance they might win this game. They can't take on the second man from the set-piece movement.

(Dropped ball in 20th minute)

That could be a turning point. The <team> are all over their opposite numbers. From here, only one team will come out victors today.

Mr Saab

Referee
or laurie daleys "structure"

You missed his favourite...."Adaptable".
Daley has no clue and was shown up so badly when Shaun McRae was a guest commentator on a Fox sports game a few yrs back with Smith and Daley.
McRae was very insightful. Daley offered squat.

Still...nothing beats the Johns brothers. They should both be banned from TV. Andrew is very uncomfortable in front of the TV...and his brother is just a complete and utter try hard

BeeeeeRad

Juniors
Laurie Daley always calling attack 'offence' like we are in the NFL annoys me.

I still think the worst commentator is Jason Costigan. He rambles on about anything using as many technical words and clichés as he possibly can. On top of that his voice is just plain annoying. He really does lack a good partner though - Peter Wopati and can't remember the other guy are so biased its not even funny.

McLovin

Staff member
The kiwi fellows that commentate the Warriors matches when they play over there. Can they cry more??

BeeeeeRad

Juniors
Lol thats Jason Costigan and his team, he's a bloody wanker. He walks around like a prized c**k before games at Mt Smart.

BeeeeeRad

Juniors
I know he aint a Kiwi, just saying he is the worst commentator out, and he commentates the NZ games.

Hanscholo

Bench
Id put sterling up there with Ryan and Gould, he has a hell of a lot to say. Just because someone isnt abrasive or controversial doesnt mean they dont have strong opinions, or voice them.

Peter Sterling gets his point across whilst maintaining his reputation.

Kiki

First Grade
i love Sterlo. he is always really measured in his commentary but not in a sitting on the fence way, he just thinks before he speaks. and i ALWAYS agree with whatever he says.

Gould is great too, hes extremely entertaining and knows his footy. i think he provides enough controversy for channel 9 commentary...we wanna be able to watch the game, its not a debate. i like the way they have it structured now.

Eels Dude

Coach
Commentators with something to say:

Warren Ryan - Has new and different ideas on how to improve the game itself that you won't hear anywhere else. Also has technical insights that go far beyond the usual analysis.

Phil Gould - Whether or not you agree with him you have to acknowledge he is rarely boring. He regularly states controversial opinions.

Warren Smith - Not afraid to go after certain people and anyone who speaks out against Joey has some guts.

David Morrow - Never afraid to tackle hard issues or press certain topics.

Commentators that sometimes have something to say:

Greg Alexander - Plays it fairly straight but I think he has the stength to say what he thinks. Not as boring as other callers.

Gary Freeman - Plays it reasonably straight too but quite often cuts through crap and gives a very bullsh*t free answer.

MG- Some of his ideas may be stupid but at least he says controversial things eg Brisbane won't figure this year, Jason Ryles is sh*t etc.

Paul Vautin - Not sure if he's just pissed he's off the commentary team now for NRL games but at origin time he seems to let loose.

Rabs - Is a caller so doesn't really get too involved in the politics of the game but he will speak his mind in a game.

Commentators that have nothing to say

The Johns brothers - When was the last time you heard the Johns brothers make any kind of controversial remark or offer some kind of insight that you couldn't uncover yourself. They state the obvious and always uphold the status quo.

Peter Sterling - Sterling never really says anything controversial and rarely steps outside the box to shock you or make you think wow. He's pedestrian and despite having this reputation that he is this very wise analyst he rarely shares that knowledge.

Paul Harigan - Is way too safe.

Laurie Daley - Seems to talk a lot without really having any impact.

Wayne Pearce - See Laurie Daley

Thats all I can be bothered to analyze right now. If you have more add them. I'm just making the point theres only a few commentators that you'll hear genuine unique opinions from.

I don't listen to radio commentary much these days so can't comment too much. Disagree on Phil Gould though, well I don't disagree with the fact he's controversial. He is boring though, he has the same 3 or 4 controversial opinions which he brings up every single time. They may be controversial, but personally I find hid opinions very repetitive and hence very dull.

Fatty goes alright. Hard to rate him because he only gets limited chances to have his input in games. He's always going to be passionate about QLD in origin.

Harsh judgement on Sterlo. He says what he thinks and it's obvious he has a great knowledge of the game. He doesn't stress his point as much as other commentators, he simply has his opinion when he sees fit and doesn't need to say the same thing 10 times like other guys feel they have to do. Short, sweet, and straight to the point. I like it.

The worst are Tallis, Andew and Matt Johns, and Daley. Tallis looks and sounds awkward. Matt is just a fool. Andrew knows his stuff but isn't a natural and it shows. Daley is ok, but offers nothing special. A lot of people dislike Ikin but I don't mind him.

Ram Man

Juniors
Thw worst ever is Ben Ikin...Believe you me....god it makes want to climb through the telly and smack him in the head

i think gus is one of the most knowledgeable people in RL today, but hes full of s**t in lots of his stuff.

a team will score and hell say, 5 minutes ago i said this was going to happen because of such and such. then you think back 5 minutes and he was talking up the opposition.

and if the tigers play at leichardt oval on a sunday, theres nothing better than a sunday arvo at leichhardt oval.

if its kogarah the next sunday, insert kogarah for leichhardt oval etc.

its a simple game, they dont need to much jargon or cliches.

i used to find warren smith really good, used to learn lots from nrl on fox, but its gone backward now.

i cant listen to hadlee and co anymore, their show is a joke.

warren ryan is probably the most knowledgeable, been listening to him on the ABC.

I don't like Gould commentating usually for similar reasons to Dally. I can't stomach his talking up a player or team then later in the game when they are not going so well, he is bagging them out. No consistancy for mine.

Sterlo is fair and IMO does speak his mind, without being offesive in any criticsm.

Like Dally, I prefer the ABC commentary. They seem pretty intent on calling the game, with a few jokes along the way, but rarely do they really bag sides or players too much.

I might add. The best commentary on how a side is going is Fatty. They are either going great or they are going Sh!T! No explanation necessary we all know he is right

Last edited:

hellteam

First Grade
I always used to think Eastlake was a QLDer for some reason whilst watching the old Origins, then the other day i found out he was from NSW

Latest posts