What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Commentators that have and don't have something to say.

Engine

Juniors
I actually think channel nine doesn't rate Harrogan anymore. I get the feeling he is actually on his way out. Ikin seems safe though :(

Kiki

First Grade
what about shane webcke as a queensland commentator? i love that guy. they should get him on.

Canard

Immortal
I think Brandy is a very under rated game caller.

He rarely is overly critical or biased like some others, he seems to keep a level head on him, and he his football "knowledge" is second to none.

Even though Penrith flows through his veins, its not immediately obvious unlike the lovefest that Gould has for the Roosters, Knights and Dragons.

Glen Lazarus used to be a shocker, for some reason he used to always do Cowboys games, and his hatred for all things Cowboys was so bad that we could be winning 30 nil with 10 to go and he would be saying "The Cowboys have been so lucky tonight"

i think he does.

he almost came as coaching co ordinator last year.

he loves lots of the players too cause they play for nsw.

wasnt happy when gas left.

of course its the roosters first then id say saints

Kiki

First Grade
i dunno. he gives them a pretty good serve when they mess up (which is often). i think the dragons players are fairly likeable in general (maybe not Gaz), i can see why he has an affection for them. i dont think its bias though.

Ninja

Juniors
Daley's the best-

"I just think...the plaaaars.....for the Bron-cos....need to use the fooooot-ball"

And I love Sterlos hatred for the strip rule. Even when theres three players blantantly ripping at the ball and strip it out he always has a whinge.
"That's not a penalty, that's just poor ball security. At some point the onus has to be on the ball carrier...."

Sleep

Juniors
:lol:

That's pretty true about Sterlo. Gould loves to go on about how tries should be allowed even when the video ref gives the no go. I remember him blowing up about the Canberra/Melbourne game earlier this year saying it cost the Raiders the victory.

And Gould might not love the Dragons but he has a raging hard-on for Gaz.

oldmancraigy

Coach
And I love Sterlos hatred for the strip rule. Even when theres three players blantantly ripping at the ball and strip it out he always has a whinge.
"That's not a penalty, that's just poor ball security. At some point the onus has to be on the ball carrier...."

That's my pet peeve...

Constantly hearing Gould and Sterling whinging about 'poor-ball security'

What about the fact that stripping has been a rule for a good number of years now! Surely at some point the onus has to be on the tacklers not to rip the ball out!!

I think MG is an awful commentator. Yes he speaks out - but he normally says stupid things that have very little facuality (an americanism for you)...
Daley stinks, Ikin is hopeless

Rabs is very ordinary - his general knowledge of the game is very limited, and his knowledge of the players is also poor. You'd think if it was your job, you might actually watch games OTHER than the ones you are commentating?
Vossy is very good in that regard - obviously he watches the FG matches, the toyota cup, the schoolboys games.

Gould knows his stuff too.

Freeman is totally biased towards any kiwi player on the field - but if you keep that in mind, then hes ok!

Chapsta

Juniors
i dunno. he gives them a pretty good serve when they mess up (which is often). i think the dragons players are fairly likeable in general (maybe not Gaz), i can see why he has an affection for them. i dont think its bias though.

That's how everyone feels about their team. I don't think the Dragons are everybodys 'second team'. That is usually reserved for the Roosters.

alexc

Get rid of ikin and bring back fatty. I love it how fatty doesn't hold back much. Like last night on the footy show he just said straight up to mundine "why do you always fight duds" or something to the same affect.
And get rid of matt johns, he belongs on getaway or something equally sh*t. Matt johns brings out the worst in vossy on the sunday roast. Stupid youtube comedy and whatever gives me the sh*ts.

Mr Saab

Referee
Laurie Daley completely lost the plot with his comments that the storm dont practice grapple tackling. He is in the Ben Ikin class.

DangerMouse_007

Juniors
Also whoever says Gus has 4 opinions is right. They are as follows.

- News Ltd is bad
- The NRL never make things happen
- The video ref is evil.
- High shots/ Punches/ Spear Tackles/ Facials are all part of the game and whoever is penalized for them is generally unlucky.
- Anything from the old days ie scrums/ fighting / old school grounds is wonderful.
- Big outside backs win matches.
- Attitude is more important the skill.

Michelle Leslie

Juniors
I love the bloke who wrote this thread.

My take on the pertinent issues regarding commentary.

Every time Laurie Daley appears on Channel 9 my wife goes into 5 minute gripe as to why a man in this day and age could have a hairstyle like that.
The criticism is relentless.

When Daley appeared on Foxtel he oftened teamed up with Wayne Pearce which in my opinion was quite simply disastrous.
They both talk too much without saying anything at all.

Matthew Johns really needs to have a go.
He is such a lodge member of the ex footy player brigade that doesnt have the balls to say what he thinks.
As each day goes past I find him more like aspartame.

I simply cannot stand Wayne Pearce.
He calls his own son "Mitchell Pearce" during a game.
Talk less, say more you drone.

I rate Voss and Tallis.
Simply because they say whats on their mind.

Sterling is boring.

I rate Warren Smith the best commentator ahead of Ray Warren.
Andy Raymond is an idiot. In saying that he can be an entertaining idiot.

And Paul Harrigan,
well he also is in the lodge with the Johns boys of playing it way to safe.

Those blokes reallly need a rocket.