What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Comments - Warriors vs Storm

Skinner

Coach
Still waiting to read some - it wasn't that bad, they were beaten by a much better team.

Some players were shown up badly.....I don't need to spell them out.

:cool:

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Some pretty damn poor defence early on the edges cost us.

No one really had a great or solid all round game with too many mistakes.

If I had to do the old 3,2,1 thing it would be something like this

3.Rapira
2.Lauaki
1.Mannering

And Tumivave went alright as well.

ozbash

Referee
it was that bloody spinnys fault, she frightened them :shock:

only seen the first quarter and it wasnt flash.

we wont win every game we play....:cool:

MKEB...

Staff member
I wonder what Wittyfan has to say today.

I got the feeling that the warriors today expected the two points just from from turning up.
They dropped too much ball, and you cant do that against the storm.

I thought all the interchange forwards played exceptionally well. I absolutely loved Rapira sitting their lock on his arse, that was a massive hit.
I also reckon that was the best I have seen Wiki play this season.

It was noticeable how Witt getting hooked today, the warriors found a bit more direction.

wittyfan

Referee
Hooking Witty was pointless, and in fact the Warriors' first try came when he was back on the field.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
awwww...poor witty, gee you can pick a dud, ever thought of hooking up with moffo?

ToiletDuck

Juniors
Our defence sucked early. Whether you can blame that on Witt is debatable, but our defence down that side was rubbish. I've always maintained that Mannering should be in the centres and i stand by that - he offered far more penetration and solidity when he was shifted out. Martin and Hohaia just dont cut it, i had a suspicion that they'd get found out against tougher opposition. My personal preference would be:

1. Mckinnon
2. Crockett
3. Mannering
4. Ropati
5. Vatuvei
6. Witt
7. Rovelli

Then give Sonny Fai a crack in the forwards in the absence of Wairangi. Oh yeah, and Swann is sh*t.

Micistm

Bench
Credit where it's due, the Storms defence was brilliant, and stifled/frustrated the hell out of the Warriors...breaks didn't come until late in the game.
Otherwise, it wasn't the best performance, the Warriors didn't have a good day at the office- that opening spell killed us. But to their credit they didn't let the game get away and still put in the yards, and it was closer than the score reflected. I think the opening news story on the game on this site is a little one sided. Storm finshed better, no doubt, and the opening spell was murderous- But check out the stats, the Storm coughed it up as much as the Warriors, and the completion rate/posession on a par. Just one of those games, you can't win 'em all. Hopefully they'll fire up for next week.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
No one player should be singled out today, the team just didn't click. Maybe it was the fact that it was our first away match and that it started early. But the main fact was that Melbourne were the much better side and we were lucky not to go down by more.

The Warriors just couldn't get a roll on. Here were some of the contributing factors:-

• Not a huge factor, but Witt was virtually non-existent in the first quarter.
  • Poor reads during wing defense on both sides.
  • Poor communication by Wiki & McKinnon, 3 or 4 attempts at offloading support plays = 0 successful plays
  • Mannering made a few bad calls, there were 3 chances where he should have passed it out wide

The numerous other dropped balls didn't help. The Storm really made us pay. There were also numerous times that we had forward charging full steam on to the ball, only to be used as decoys. Most of those times, it would have worked out better if we passed it to those forwards. Those forwards were actually running at gaps, which is what they should be doing more often.

I don't mind that Witt was pulled, but I hope Cleary is going to be consistent with this. We need our playmakers to be active.

We made a lot of mistakes and we couldn't really get settled into the game. 30-12 looked pretty good on us, we could have been burnt badly. In a losing side, I think the young forwards stepped up. Tuimavave, Rapira and Lauaki are all showing real improvement and more enthusiasm.

I wouldn't really make any changes against Manly. The Warriors have just got to tidy up their plays. Wiki and McKinnon really need to work on their communication. Someone needs to link up with McKinnon, it would be an absolute waste if his support play wasn't utilised.

Sanchez

Coach
id go with this team

1. Mckinnon
2 Crockett
3 Hohaia
4 Mannering
5 Vatuvei
6 Witt
7 Rovelli
8 Tuimavave
9 Fein
10 Price
11. Wiki
12. Fai
13. Luck

14. Gatis
15 Swann
16 Lauaki
17 Rapira

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Captain Charisma said:
One of the best moments was Rapiras' huge hit.

I loved his try. If he could do that every week, he'd be a superstar. A Herculian effort, beat at least 6 players.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Sanchez said:
id go with this team

1. Mckinnon
2 Crockett
3 Hohaia
4 Mannering
5 Vatuvei
6 Witt
7 Rovelli
8 Tuimavave
9 Fein
10 Price
11. Wiki
12. Fai
13. Luck

14. Gatis
15 Swann
16 Lauaki
17 Rapira

What did Martin do to get dropped??? Why don't we drop Vatuvei for making some very bad reads in defense that lead to 2 tries.

I do agree with you on Wiki. I think our defense out wide really needs strengthening. But pushing Wiki out may ultimately lead to our defense around the ruck being severely weakened. Wiki does a helluva lot of work on defense, but I think he could still be damaging out wide. If Tuimavave and Rapira keep up with their ever-improving form, then maybe Wiki could be used wider of the ruck.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Both wingers made some bad calls on defence leading to tries.

I think Nathan Fien did enough today to get a starting spot back from Gatis. It would be a good idea to push Wiki out into the 2nd row and Big Si Mannering back into the centres but it would be a bit harsh on Martin who had a great game against the Broncos and his goal kicking is going pretty well.

Sam_the_man

First Grade
mad kiwi elloco bandido said:
I wonder what Wittyfan has to say today.

I got the feeling that the warriors today expected the two points just from from turning up.
They dropped too much ball, and you cant do that against the storm.

I thought all the interchange forwards played exceptionally well. I absolutely loved Rapira sitting their lock on his arse, that was a massive hit.
I also reckon that was the best I have seen Wiki play this season.

It was noticeable how Witt getting hooked today, the warriors found a bit more direction.

if you think thats the best Wiki has played this season then you wanna wander over to nzwarrior and have a look at some of the crapolo they are hanging on Wiki over there.

Personally i didn't think he was as bad as people are saying. My view is form is temorary and class is perminent.