What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Commonwealth Games Category Review

Stallion

First Grade
Ghana, Sierra Leonne, Solomon Islands, India, Cameroon, Kenya, Malta, and Nigeria.

Interestingly rugby league was attracting significant support a few years ago (Italy v Kenya exhibition match in Kenya with a big crowd attendance ) . A few months later the government decided to only fund rugby union and not rugby league for development purposes! That's one example of the "hoops" facing rugby league!

Last edited:

yakstorm

First Grade
They're not and 1994 was the last time they took part in the Commonwealth Games.

Arguably there are as many as 25 nations who could enter teams with players from local competitions. India / Pakistan are possibly a bit suspect at the moment, but rest are legit.

Commonwealth Rugby League Nations with Domestic presence:
1. Australia
2. New Zealand
3. England
4. Wales
5. Scotland
6. Northern Ireland
7. Vanuatu
8. Tonga
9. South Africa
10. Solomon Islands
11. Samoa
12. Papua New Guinea
13. Norfolk Island
14. Niue
15. Nigeria
16. Malta
17. Kenya
18. Jamaica
19. India #
20. Pakistan #
21. Ghana
22. Fiji
23. Cook Islands
24. Canada
25. Cameroon

adamkungl

Immortal
A lot of the Asian and African nations being mentioned have never played in International competition before

adamkungl

Immortal
You seem to think rugby union has been around longer in various formats. Btw first time I've heard Sevens was about at the time you inform of ? And would not a world cup give credibility and acknowledgement of a code? And it's a fact that rugby league hosted the first ever rugby world cup. Can't be denied! But I suppose it can be ignored!?

None of this is relevant to whether a sport should be in the Games or not.
It's pretty simple, Sevens has a well organised circuit of multiple international events per year featuring many Commonwealth nations from every continent.
Rugby League, or Nines, does not. Why would it matter that Rugby League (not even the form of the sport attempting to be recognised!) had the first World Cup??

Knownothing

Juniors
Rugby union (15 a side) was an Olympic sport way back when. USA won a gold medal at the 1924 Games. Proves nothing.

Stallion's approach, which is based on blaming a bogey man for the simple fact that International Rugby League everywhere would be strengthened immensely if the world governing body was properly funded, and it is basically up to Australia to put the money up.

Apart from the occasional billionaire, Australia is the only place where there is a lot of money which could be used to good effect.

But then, if the bogeyman is the problem, why bother? It is much easier just to gripe about something or somebody who is not listening, and never will.

Stallion

First Grade
Rugby union (15 a side) was an Olympic sport way back when. USA won a gold medal at the 1924 Games. Proves nothing.

Stallion's approach, which is based on blaming a bogey man for the simple fact that International Rugby League everywhere would be strengthened immensely if the world governing body was properly funded, and it is basically up to Australia to put the money up.

Apart from the occasional billionaire, Australia is the only place where there is a lot of money which could be used to good effect.

But then, if the bogeyman is the problem, why bother? It is much easier just to gripe about something or somebody who is not listening, and never will.

You are not even aware!

Knownothing

Juniors
You are not even aware!

Look mate, I have been around for a very long time. Long enough to remember some wonderful inbound French Tests back in the fifties, and of course the fantastic GB sides that used to come here, almost every winter, it seems in my memory.

Why aren't there any inbound Test series any more? Whose fault is that? Would international rugby league be stronger if, say, Kenya was invited to send a side here to play Australia "B"? Or Serbia? Or any other of the dozens of nations who are on the list as being potential growth areas for the game.

Why on earth is there not any annual series with PNG?

It is not rugby union that is stopping this sort of growth initiative, is it? I am "aware" enough to know that.

Pommy

Coach
You are not even aware!

images

Stallion

First Grade
Look mate, I have been around for a very long time. Long enough to remember some wonderful inbound French Tests back in the fifties, and of course the fantastic GB sides that used to come here, almost every winter, it seems in my memory.

Why aren't there any inbound Test series any more? Whose fault is that? Would international rugby league be stronger if, say, Kenya was invited to send a side here to play Australia "B"? Or Serbia? Or any other of the dozens of nations who are on the list as being potential growth areas for the game.

Why on earth is there not any annual series with PNG?

It is not rugby union that is stopping this sort of growth initiative, is it? I am "aware" enough to know that.

You may be the typical ignorant rugby league "fan"! Its easy to suggest that rugby league should be doing this and that and I agree but their are immense obstacles facing this code in many places. The proof is becoming more evident as time goes on. And their will be deflectors such as yourself. That's part of it. To be honest I'M extremely dissapointed with the lack of importance placed by rugby league people on the Commonwealth championship . That was alarming at how poor these people regard the international scene. The pathetic world cup organising fiasco will respect to scheduling, ground allocations,ticketing prices and ticketing itself is another embarassing concern! Thank god the football was far better than the organising! That saved the code!

Pommy

Coach
You may be the typical ignorant rugby league "fan"! Its easy to suggest that rugby league should be doing this and that and I agree but their are immense obstacles facing this code in many places. The proof is becoming more evident as time goes on. And their will be deflectors such as yourself. That's part of it. To be honest I'M extremely dissapointed with the lack of importance placed by rugby league people on the Commonwealth championship . That was alarming at how poor these people regard the international scene. The pathetic world cup organising fiasco will respect to scheduling, ground allocations,ticketing prices and ticketing itself is another embarassing concern! Thank god the football was far better than the organising! That saved the code!

How the hell are you a teacher?

Latest posts