What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complaint of racial abuse in Roosters v Broncos

FrankWhite

Juniors
Context you muppet. Do you really think Leniu would affectionately call Mam a “cheeky monkey”?
Now you’re starting to get it.
The usage may be offensive, but the word itself isn’t. So it can’t possibly be viewed as badly as a racial slur that has no general usage.

MRN

Juniors
I doubt Leniu would be having a sook to the refs about it.
Maybe not. But that is not the point you were making. You are saying Mam shouldn't be offended. But in the example I provided I guarantee Leniu would be offended. Would he have gone to the ref, who knows? Maybe he would have reacted physically. And I doubt the NRL or most people would consider that a better reaction. Different people will react differently and Mam reporting it is exactly the message and precedent the NRL have set, making it clear they want it out of the game. A fan would probably be looking at a life time ban. Why should a player be free from reprimand?
I also find it interesting that in this thread you have said Mam should harden up and the "ethnics" are trying to tell you what you should find offensive, which you clearly don't agree with. So why do you think you can tell others what they shouldn't find offensive?
So you copped heaps of racism and that made you thick skinned. Ok, that perhaps shows some character that you moved past it, and that is great for you. But honestly, you should not have had to. It should have never happened to you, and shouldn't happen to others now. But this is the real world and it will continue. And when it does happen to others, you shouldn't expect those people being vilified to react the same as you. Just because it will never be completely eradicated doesn't mean everyone should sit back and let it happen because "it's all fun and games" and shrug it off. In NRL's case it needs to be better then that. And so should the players in their privileged role model positions.

MRN

Juniors
Now you’re starting to get it.
The usage may be offensive, but the word itself isn’t. So it can’t possibly be viewed as badly as a racial slur that has no general usage.
Oh please. Context is everything. It can absolutely be used as a racist slur, as can the example I provided earlier, if the intent is to be racist.

FrankWhite

Juniors
Oh please. Context is everything. It can absolutely be used as a racist slur, as can the example I provided earlier, if the intent is to be racist.
That’s not what I said. I said the word it’self isn’t offensive.
It’s why a newspaper could run with the headline “Monkey Gate”. Now they aren’t going to run a headline saying “twig Gate” now are they?