What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Confessions of a Bulldog: inside football's darkest scandal

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
There are still, and will continue to be, plenty of people who refuse to believe that this attack never occurred. The seed was sewn the moment that Ray Hadley read out the leaked and very graphic victim statement on the radio. The papers reported that the girl required stitches to repair the damage done, only to have it labelled as a total fabrication by the leading detective in his press conference. How the media can get away with such things is an absolute joke.

:clap: Well said.

The Dominator

Juniors
You know what. I am absolutely sick to death of having this crap brought up. The story conjured up such fascination in the sick minds of public consciousness. The whole story was a beat up from go to whoa.

"what didn't need to happen was the amount of speculation in the media, the aggressive tone of the police hierarchy, how they .. their strategy and how they portrayed the investigation. That was far too damaging and just wasn't consistent with the evidence our investigators were finding."

"Within the first forty-eight hours, approximately forty-eight hours, the .. we had twelve, twenty statements, for example of people that were in the area at the time. It just wasn't matching up. We still had to go through all the process of interviewing players and taking DNA, that was always going to happen. But within that short time that I just mentioned, it was becoming obvious to us as investigators that it was highly unlikely that anyone was going to be charged with the allegations."

"Yes, and I'd go so far as the investigations manager - that was my position, detective senior sergeant - I'd go so far as to say that on Sunday the twenty-second of February, 2004, there was no woman raped in the pool area of the Pacific Bay Resort which .. that statement there that I've given you now is completely opposite to what my boss, my commander, was telling the media."

All quotes from Detective Senior Sergeant Gary Mcevoy: Investigative Manager of Strike Force Mcguigon.

So there you have it. A disgracefully presented news story that almost brought a club to it's knees.

Eels Dude

Coach
It's all over and done with now. If a former player had something to say then they should have come and said it less then 5 years after it happened. This player pretty much saying they treated the whole thing like a big joke doesn't earn him any respect in my eyes. Hopefully whoever he is has matured a bit now.

sass

Juniors
I hate reading articles from 'former players'. I wish they could just come out and say it all under their own names. you know?

meanwhile the fact that they were just laughing at something that might have involved jail (even if they were innocent) just shows how insulated players can become at their clubs. like it's their whole world.

glockers

Juniors
Thurston, Mason, OMealy, Hughes, Matua, Tonga... probably more ive missed
could be anyone of them... except i highly doubt Shrek in this case... the rest though :?

Well it can't be Thurston, it can't be O'Mealy, it can't be Hughes....

innsaneink

Referee
I immediately thought Willie
"The police didn't even care. We weren't going there to be questioned. We were going there to give a saliva sample. I just walked in and then we left. I don't know, maybe it looked like we weren't taking it seriously. I thought it was pretty funny."

sass

Juniors
it's probably safe to say if you're asking who's the most likely to have opened their mouth about something, and one of the possibilities is willie mason ... the answer is usually willie mason.

he just really loves a chat.

Timmah

Staff member
I hate reading articles from 'former players'. I wish they could just come out and say it all under their own names. you know?

meanwhile the fact that they were just laughing at something that might have involved jail (even if they were innocent) just shows how insulated players can become at their clubs. like it's their whole world.

I dare say they've got legal advice to not identify themselves sass, it's nothing to do with cowardice.

The fact they were "just laughing" at the whole thing might have something to do with the fact they knew they were innocent of the accusations?

Timmah

Staff member
it's probably safe to say if you're asking who's the most likely to have opened their mouth about something, and one of the possibilities is willie mason ... the answer is usually willie mason.

he just really loves a chat.

That, I do agree with :lol:

sass

Juniors
yeah you're right about the legal implications timmah, I just find it frustrating as a reader. ANONYMOUS QUOTES ARE SO bullsh*t.

innsaneink

Referee
I dare say they've got legal advice to not identify themselves sass, it's nothing to do with cowardice.

The fact they were "just laughing" at the whole thing might have something to do with the fact they knew they were innocent of the accusations?

Rape is no laughing matter timmrrrr...not guily or otherwise.

Timmah

Staff member
False accusations of rape aren't funny either but our players, club and supporters have put up with them for 5 years now, most of us without complaint.

Next...

ibeme

First Grade
Rape is no laughing matter timmrrrr...not guily or otherwise.

There was no rape. They weren't laughing about rape. They were laughing about being wrongly accused of it when they knew full well it didn't occur.

Death isn't funny either, but I know of a bloke who saw his own obituary in the paper. That was funny, because there was no death.

innsaneink

Referee
There was no rape. They weren't laughing about rape. They were laughing about being wrongly accused of it when they knew full well it didn't occur.

Death isn't funny either, but I know of a bloke who saw his own obituary in the paper. That was funny, because there was no death.

No, they didnt know there was no rape, they knew they were not guilty.
Either way, its no laughing matter .
But continue to try and justify it.

Timmah

Staff member
No, they didnt know there was no rape, they knew they were not guilty.
Either way, its no laughing matter .
But continue to try and justify it.

The two bolded phrases mean the same thing, twit. No rape = not guilty.

It's been a laughing matter for 5 years about our club - can you justify that?

Eels Dude

Coach
I don't think you could guess the player. Given it only says 'former bulldog' it could be anyone bar the 3 or 4 players they have left from the 2004 squad.

It could be fun to do a process of elimination though.

You can eliminate Sonny Bill. There's no way he could string all those words together to make that many coherant sentences in an interview.

It's not Willie Mason otherwise he'd mention his name.

Any others?

innsaneink

Referee
No...they dont mean the same thing, moron.
anyone can say what they like when sentences are chopped up.
At the time they didnt know there was no rape, they had no idea something didnt happen to her, they only knew they were not involved, yet carried on like the whole thing was a game

Your support of players that thought a rape case was amusing shows the attitude towards women is not just confined to the players ranks in rugby league, poor attitude imo.

Last edited: