What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CONFIRMED: Elford released by Souths

innsaneink said:
It wasnt meant to be derogatory.....my only reasoning is the positions Souths have finished in recent years, most players that would go to Souths would be coming from a team that finished higher, hence "stepping down".

I just heard on radio they saidhes staying at the Tigers, though Ive still sen nothing from them.

Hed have to sign a new deal, maybe they will get him even cheaper now.

Mate,

It's true what you say regarding the players who come from teams higher on the ladder - that yes it would be a step down in that regard

However for players who are either slugging it away in Premier League as they are behind rep players for some of the top clubs - Souths can present them an opportunity to show their skills in the top grade.

Scott Geddes is a more recent example (only injury has stopped him from advancing his career)

Regards

tiger_nick

Bench
Thats a shame for Souths as they do seem to be building a competitive team. However if they are going to lose a player they would want it to be a center as they have it pretty well covered.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
reminds me of adam muir signing mid season to norths then the knights winning the comp later that year. I'm pretty sure muir wanted out but wasnt allowed (though i cant remember if he asked for a release).

hmmm does elford coming back affect the tigers retaining prince and marshall?

Mighty Tiger

Bench
Pierced Soul said:
reminds me of adam muir signing mid season to norths then the knights winning the comp later that year. I'm pretty sure muir wanted out but wasnt allowed (though i cant remember if he asked for a release).

hmmm does elford coming back affect the tigers retaining prince and marshall?

He was only retained for 1yr

Will footballers players be affected by Howards IR changes if they are legal??

One would think football clubs would be employers of less than 100 employees enabling them to release players when ever they want and pay only the community standard redundancy.

Tom Arber

Juniors
marshall stalin said:

One would think football clubs would be employers of less than 100 employees enabling them to release players when ever they want and pay only the community standard redundancy.

No, as they are under individual contracts registered with a third party (the NRL), the employer will have to abide by the terms of the contract (which usually means paying out the full contract, or the shortfall).

In other words, the player would only be at risk if they are a complete idiot. Which means you, Stalin, are at real risk...

marshall stalin said:

Except for the fact that Footballers sign contracts of course.....

sunny

True that. Who knows, maybe the IR reforms are Howard's way of trying to squeeze a premiership out of his beloved St George.

Utey

Coach
Gotta feel for Souths here. He signed it, he should have obliged to it. Damn shame. I dont think they are thin at centre anyways.

sunny

So basically he doesn't feel like playing for Souths any more so he asked out?

Noel

Juniors
Just say Braith Anasta asks Easts to give him a release to go back to the Bulldogs. Of course they'd say no rather than 'if your heart's not in it Braith, go back to the doggies mate'. Souths fans should be irate, sponsors should be also furious. Richardson job must be on the line.

sounds very strange that souths sign him in the first place - he asked for a release and they agree and then say they have other players for the centre positions in any case so there is no problem etc.

Why sign him if they have these other players then and why not sign a player for positions they are weak in??

Again the NRL should bite the bullet and merge souths with norths and relocate them to the central coast and install a new board and ceo in the process.

Too many at souths have been their too long and should be moved as basically it's 35 years since their last success and i feel souths supporters alive now will never see souths again in a g/f - like cronulla supporters.

Noel said:
Just say Braith Anasta asks Easts to give him a release to go back to the Bulldogs. Of course they'd say no rather than 'if your heart's not in it Braith, go back to the doggies mate'. Souths fans should be irate, sponsors should be also furious. Richardson job must be on the line.

I am sure General Secretary Nickolai Politisova will consider any players request for a release but of course will turn all request's down.

Paullyboy

Coach
I honestly cannot believe all this kafuffle. Who cares..... ITS SHANE ELFORD!

He's at best a reserve grader anyway.

If it was someone with a remote speck of talent and was going to make a difference at the bunnies than I could understand why this is such big news, but at the end of the day he's just another typical south sydney signing - ie someone paid way more than they are worth to join their club.

Souths should be happy, they get another chance at signing someone descent with that money now.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Paullyboy said:
He's at best a reserve grader anyway.

Or a premiership winning centre...?

Perhaps the Raiders should have signed him. They need all the talent they can down there...