What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Confirmed Signings

nick87

Coach
Im not as sold on Burton and Flanagan as others are, both very limited game time but i didnt see anything special in either of them (which is not to say they dont have that in them, they're very young, raw rookies who have a TON of development yet to come) and wouldnt imagine both players will pan out to be long term answers but if you go 1/2 you'd be pretty happy i reckon, but mostly they're finally doing what they should have been doing for years now. Spending cap money to take shots at talented kids in positions that can actually reverse the course of the club

Xcalibre

Juniors
Im not as sold on Burton and Flanagan as others are, both very limited game time but i didnt see anything special in either of them (which is not to say they dont have that in them, they're very young, raw rookies who have a TON of development yet to come) and wouldnt imagine both players will pan out to be long term answers but if you go 1/2 you'd be pretty happy i reckon, but mostly they're finally doing what they should have been doing for years now. Spending cap money to take shots at talented kids in positions that can actually reverse the course of the club

It's going to be tough to reach the lofty heights, the likes of George Williams reside in, but I think they may have it in them.

Jason Saab to Manly.

Good riddance. I don't cop a person playing woe-is-me trying to get a release from a contract he's signed to earn bigger money elsewhere. What's worse is this bloke has the poorest "excuse" i can recall hearing..

The drive from Greystanes to Wollongong was "too much".... yet he's signed for a club based in Brookvale - ever drive that route, especially in peak hour? It's absolute torture and far worse (not no mention, takes more time) than cruising up and down a highway. Complete BS.

Glad the dragons didn't make this easy, an ended negotiating a reasonable settlement.

This guy will make Tim Moltzen like a saint. After renegging, Moltzen got absolutely torched by the crowd when he played at Kogarah on a Friday night and had an absolute shocker. Expect Saab to get the same treatment , if not worse. And what's worse for him is - being a winger - he'll be closer to the sideline than Moltzen ever was.

NRL 2021: St George Illawarra Dragons release Jason Saab to join Manly Sea Eagles (smh.com.au)

How could someone who isn’t a Wiger fan still be cut up about Loltzen?

Not cut up, never was. My respect level for him just went to zero when he signed a contract and then reneged. Like Cherry Evans did to the Titans, Tedesco... etc.

So we “reminded” him at kogarah that night. And I’m sure Saab will be reminded whenever he returns to Kogarah.

myrrh ken

First Grade
Not cut up, never was. My respect level for him just went to zero when he signed a contract and then reneged. Like Cherry Evans did to the Titans, Tedesco... etc.

So we “reminded” him at kogarah that night. And I’m sure Saab will be reminded whenever he returns to Kogarah.

Any different than when Stains tried to get Merrin to reneg after he signed and announced he was going to the Riff?

Any different than when Stains tried to get Merrin to reneg after he signed and announced he was going to the Riff?

Merrin didn’t reneg... got no issue.

I can see why clubs would try to keep some players who sign to go elsewhere. I don’t have an issue with the clubs. I have an issue with the guy who signs a contract and then doesn’t fulfill it, or even more - renegs. The worst is a player who kicks the stones, carries on, in order to get out of a club. That’s Saab, and plenty of others before him.

myrrh ken

First Grade
Merrin didn’t reneg... got no issue.

I can see why clubs would try to keep some players who sign to go elsewhere. I don’t have an issue with the clubs. I have an issue with the guy who signs a contract and then doesn’t fulfill it, or even more - renegs. The worst is a player who kicks the stones, carries on, in order to get out of a club. That’s Saab, and plenty of others before him.

So you're ok with clubs that try to get players to break contract, even after they've signed on and announced the deal? Basically being complicit with someone that backflips.

The Rosco

Bench
Jason Saab to Manly.

Good riddance. I don't cop a person playing woe-is-me trying to get a release from a contract he's signed to earn bigger money elsewhere. What's worse is this bloke has the poorest "excuse" i can recall hearing..

The drive from Greystanes to Wollongong was "too much".... yet he's signed for a club based in Brookvale - ever drive that route, especially in peak hour? It's absolute torture and far worse (not no mention, takes more time) than cruising up and down a highway. Complete BS.

Glad the dragons didn't make this easy, an ended negotiating a reasonable settlement.

This guy will make Tim Moltzen like a saint. After renegging, Moltzen got absolutely torched by the crowd when he played at Kogarah on a Friday night and had an absolute shocker. Expect Saab to get the same treatment , if not worse. And what's worse for him is - being a winger - he'll be closer to the sideline than Moltzen ever was.

NRL 2021: St George Illawarra Dragons release Jason Saab to join Manly Sea Eagles (smh.com.au)
. . . I just spoke to Ryan Matterson, and he wants to know what the fkk you are on about. ;)

. . . I just spoke to Ryan Matterson, and he wants to know what the fkk you are on about. ;)

The bloke can’t read a contract so not surprised he can’t read (nor understand) a post here.

Another on the sulk list!!

So when you see him again, please apologise on my behalf for not rightly highlighting him as a prime example of a dishonourable sulk in my original post. Very disappointed in myself...

what are your thoughts on clubs signing players to contracts then later telling them to look elsewhere as the club no longer wants them? Works both ways.

Different scenarios.

Don’t have an issue when the club still pays their salary as committed and maintains them until they find a new home.

While not pleasant, that is honourable..

Matterson, Cherry Evans, Tedesco, Saab.. is completely the opposite.

Different scenarios.

Don’t have an issue when the club still pays their salary as committed and maintains them until they find a new home.

While not pleasant, that is honourable..

Matterson, Cherry Evans, Tedesco, Saab.. is completely the opposite.

Teddy reneged during the ‘cooling off period’ though didn’t he? He’s entitled to change his mind there

Teddy reneged during the ‘cooling off period’ though didn’t he? He’s entitled to change his mind there

I believe so.

I honestly think that a cooling off period is a joke - particularly on an employment contract. So, yep it’s his right - and probably more fool Canberra for allowing it put in there.

But it’s like saying “I’m 100% committed to thinking about committing to this employment contract”..

If you’re not committed - like he proved to be - why sign?

To help get a better deal out of your current employer ... that’s the real benefit. So his right or not - it still irks me that a person can decide to reneg on a document he signed, by his own choice or as “influenced” by others as I also recall at the time. It’s an honour thing for me.

AJB1102

First Grade
I believe so.

I honestly think that a cooling off period is a joke - particularly on an employment contract. So, yep it’s his right - and probably more fool Canberra for allowing it put in there.

But it’s like saying “I’m 100% committed to thinking about committing to this employment contract”..

To help get a better deal out of your current employer ... that’s the real benefit. So his right or not - it still irks me that a person can decide to reneg on a document he signed, by his own choice or as “influenced” by others as I also recall at the time. It’s an honour thing for me.

All contracts had a cooling off period back then I think so not Canberra's f**k up.

We also don't know all the details for the backflip. For instance Andrew Fifita reneged on that massive Bulldogs deal of $800k a year because after agreeing it turned out Bulldogs wanted to pay like $120k a year for the first 2 and backload the rest which didn't work for him.

I believe so.

Don’t know all the details but I thought Robbie Farah talked Teddy into staying loyal to the Tigers. Not sure if he got more money out of it in the end however. I do get where you’re coming from, though.