What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Congrats on the WCC

Big Pete

Referee
On behalf of all the Brisbane Broncos fans just wanted to congratulate St. Helens fans or any ESL fans on their win against us this morning (Aus time). It was a good game to watch and best of luck for your team this year.

jed

First Grade
Thanks Pete. I'm not a St Helens fan per se, but I'm a big fan of Superleague. Saints were the better team on the day, but in a best of 3 series, I think Brisbane would steamroll them.

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
Get off Jed, boooooo.

Thought the game was superb, thanks Big Pete.

I must also give a nod to the game as an event too. A good crowd 23k+ and it was a great game to watch, the Aussies there certainly gave a good account of themselves.

People moan that the timing is off, but its the only possible time really. SL has to start when it does because of the inclement weather and playing it in Aus is out of the question too because the UK club would need to miss 2 weeks of SL. Playing it after the Grand Finals has been suggested, but flying round the world a week after winning a Grand Final would destroy any side making it less of a balanced contest than it is now.

Good luck next season Brisbane, although I must admit to supporting Manly because of Sir Jamie. You can be my second favourites. Shame the NRL's not on TV anymore.

JasonE

Bench
jed said:
Thanks Pete. I'm not a St Helens fan per se, but I'm a big fan of Superleague. Saints were the better team on the day, but in a best of 3 series, I think Brisbane would steamroll them.

I'm not sure about that, St Helens played very poorly and still won, they were as bad as I have seen them and looked like a team unsure and down on confidence, this will bring back some belief and the return of Sculthorpe will be a massive boost.

miccle

Bench
Sentiments echoed here Saints/UK fans!!

Your boys played exceptionally well and took their opportunities very well under pressure. A very hard-fought and well-earned win for the Saints and I hope you all celebrate accordingly!

Congrats again from a somewhat disappointed Broncos fan.

jed

First Grade
Fairleigh Good! said:
Get off Jed, boooooo.
:lol:

I was supporting Saints here, and they definitely deserved to win, but remember too that this was Brisbane's first serious hit-out for the season, aside from the Crusaders game. All I'm saying is that I don't think Brisbane would go down as easy after a few more games under their belt.

1stNov2000

Juniors
Im a NZ Warriors man but Im ecstatic with the St Helens win this morning. Great news esp. with Kiwis like Meli, Cayless and Talau in the team. Good news for Meli and Anderson who missed out on the 2002 NRL grand final. Sad for Fa'asavalu who missed out on the game because of injury but congrats to him nonetheless. Hes an integral part of this Saints side.

JasonE

Bench
1stNov2000 said:
Im a NZ Warriors man but Im ecstatic with the St Helens win this morning. Great news esp. with Kiwis like Meli, Cayless and Talau in the team. Good news for Meli and Anderson who missed out on the 2002 NRL grand final. Sad for Fa'asavalu who missed out on the game because of injury but congrats to him nonetheless. Hes an integral part of this Saints side.

Absolutley, he was the best impact player in SL last year and along with Roby they turned many games in Saints favour.

As for Talau, i thought he was the best centre on display last night.

SilverSteeler

Juniors
Good news for Meli and Anderson

Anderson is playing for Warrington isn't he?

Good game to watch,
I didn't think Saints would win at halftime but they came through.
Also Eastwood looked good for the broncos

mattystans000

Juniors
It was an awesome contest, I was hoping Brisbane (though i'm an avid STGI Dragons Fan) would win so we could see the SL Clubs here in Aus for oncebut St Helens were the better team at the end of the 80 mins, congrats to a good side.

Fairleigh Good! said:
Playing it after the Grand Finals has been suggested, but flying round the world a week after winning a Grand Final would destroy any side making it less of a balanced contest than it is now.

I would quite like this idea, although we would need to sync 22 wk comps first for 2008, it would ensure the title of best club in the world be true to it's name, because it is contested between the two GF winning clubs but not their GF winning line ups. Give a weeks break for teams to travel and play a warm up match and the play it the wk after, also alternate host nations, regardless of previous winners, just to give us some WCC action!!

shaggy

Juniors
i doubt if the move it to the end of the season theyd start in 08 before the world cup

reading on superleague.co.uk an article in which locky suggests they move the game to two weeks after the gf then have the tr-inations immediatley after that, i think it makes sense bein at the end of the year instead of the beginin of a new one,

i was reading in rugby league week brad thorn saying how weird he felt watchin the game in nz (after he had signed with the allblacks) watchin his team mates from the 00 gf taking on st helens & another article in which matt gidley said it felt weird playin in a team in which he had done nothin to help them make the gf

it would really be a world championship at the end of the previous season instead of beginin of the new 1, which was a trail for brisbane and an extra game for st helens (but usually a trial for both teams)

Quidgybo

Bench
Fairleigh Good! said:
People moan that the timing is off, but its the only possible time really. SL has to start when it does because of the inclement weather and playing it in Aus is out of the question too because the UK club would need to miss 2 weeks of SL. Playing it after the Grand Finals has been suggested, but flying round the world a week after winning a Grand Final would destroy any side making it less of a balanced contest than it is now.
But with synchronized GFs allowing the match to be played post season and with an even rotation of the match between northern and southern hemispheres, at least any such disadvantages would be fairly shared every couple of years. But quite apart from that, I don't see why flying around the world a week after GF makes any difference what so ever. They wouldn't (or shouldn't) be *playing* a week after the GF. They'd be playing a fortnight after the GF and over a week after traveling. And they will have the advantage of fielding a team from a seasoned squad that is still in the form that just won them a premiership. Seriously, if a week or even a week and a half isn't enough time for a highly paid professional to get his mind back on football (his paid employment) and stop drinking then he should be seeking help from AA. Remember many of the key players from the premiership winning team go on to play post season rep football anyway with the first Tri-Nations match currently played a fortnight after the GF. What's the difference? Let them travel and train with the Kangaroos or Lions squads if they need some non premiership winning players around them to bring them back down to earth.

Leigh.

I was there last night. After The Broncos ran in the first try I thought "here we go..." However Saints came good and the whole team lifted when Scully came on. Lockyer was not at the races most of the night apart from his kicking. Thaiday spent most of the time trying to get penalties rather than playing.

The pundits gave Saints no chance. Broncos had been here for nearly two weeks training and preparing and Saints form has been awful for two weeks plus some injuries.

A plane load of Broncos fans made it over aparently. I assumed they'd taken the night off working behind the bar and got the train up from London....

deluded pom?

Coach
jed said:

I think you'll fnd it's already two nil to the Saints. The next time they meet it will be a dead rubber ;-)

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
SilverSteeler said:
Anderson is playing for Warrington isn't he?

Good game to watch,
I didn't think Saints would win at halftime but they came through.
Also Eastwood looked good for the broncos

I think he means Daniel (Coach)

bartman

Immortal
I too didn't think Saints would get there in the end. Sculthorpe's appearance seemed to help, and I thought having he and Cunningham on the bench was a great ploy by Daniel Anderson, as injuries aside it meant that Saints could finish stronger in confidence as the game wore on, with those senior players injected in.

Latest posts