What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Congratulations Brisbane!

Dougie

Juniors
Congratulations Brisbane, you have earnt your spot in history along side the great sides like Melbourne during the war years and late 50's. Collingwood just didn't seem to want it as much as Brisbane, and it showed on the scoreboard. Brisbane were prepared to put their bodies on the line, they showed guts and determination of the highest order.

Full credit to them, they truely are a great team!

Cheers,
Doug

Terminator

First Grade
I think Brisbane are a bunch of cats, they are a skillfull team yes, but they are dirty as.

Dougie

Juniors
terminator007 said:
I think Brisbane are a bunch of cats, they are a skillfull team yes, but they are dirty as.

back your argument up - tell me one incident in that game that they played dirty - i think you'll find that in today's game, Collinscum were the dirtier team...they attacked the man early, lost sight of the ball, and it was all over for them. Sure, brisbane played hard, but NOT DIRTY

CyberKev

Staff member
In total agreement with Dougie on both counts.

I didn't think there was anything untoward during the game, but if anything the dodgy stuff came from Collingwood early in the match. They tried to be tough, but they were well outmuscled by the opposition. I was stunned to see Collingwood entering as favourites, as it was never anything other than a 50-50 match, with the Magpies unable to beat Brisbane if their key players fired-up.

The game was rough on Collingwood, but it could have been so much worse. On the balance of play the Lions could have won by a triple figure margin and certainly should have won by a lot more than they did.

Awesome effort and Simon Black was as deserving a Norm Smith medallist as I have EVER seen!

CyberKev

AuckMel

Bench
Johnathon Brown on Rhys Shaw. I believe two weeks is the sentence for an elbow to the head.

Terminator

First Grade
Thats the incident, what a gutless bastard.
Good win by the Lions, a talented and skillful team, whats with their coach, he carrys on like a nutter.

RockyShark

Juniors
Fantastic win... but I would have preferred to see a Lions / Port Adelaide GF - without a mexican in sight! :D

I had my doubts whether or not Brisbane could get the three-peat but they did the job yesterday in emphatic fashion. The Lions dominated from start to finish and the Magpies were blown off the park.

Simon Black quite rightly got the Norm Smith medal.

CyberKev

Staff member
terminator007 said:
Good win by the Lions, a talented and skillful team, whats with their coach, he carrys on like a nutter.

LOL!

You bag out the whole side as being dirty pool, but can only come up with one isolated incident (not as bad as it was made out) to support your 'argument'.

I guess you were still getting a beverage when Burns nailed Brown at the opening bounce? This doesn't explain how you were averting your eyes when numerous Collingwood players were scragging Brown at every opportunity during the first half.

Matthews a nutter? WTF???!!! In what way? He has no peer in the coaching caper at the moment and I'd love to have his crazy arse back at Glenferrie right now. Some guys are just born 'winners'... Lethal is THE legend of the game.

CyberKev

meltiger

First Grade
CyberKev said:
I guess you were still getting a beverage when Burns nailed Brown at the opening bounce?

Twas perfectly legal mate ;-)

& I was thinking the same about Malthouse that you were about Lethal.... He may not be as good as Lethal but he's the next best thing and a good old Richmond person.

What yesterdays game showed I think is just how far most clubs (Including both of ours) are off playing off in a GF. :(

Well done to the Lions though. To go in the via the tough road and win like that.... They deserve their three in a row, even if they only had to beat Collingwood, which beating Collingwood in Grand Finals isn't much of an achievement ;-)

Dougie

Juniors
meltiger said:
CyberKev said:
I guess you were still getting a beverage when Burns nailed Brown at the opening bounce?

Twas perfectly legal mate ;-)

& I was thinking the same about Malthouse that you were about Lethal.... He may not be as good as Lethal but he's the next best thing and a good old Richmond person.

What yesterdays game showed I think is just how far most clubs (Including both of ours) are off playing off in a GF. :(

Well done to the Lions though. To go in the via the tough road and win like that.... They deserve their three in a row, even if they only had to beat Collingwood, which beating Collingwood in Grand Finals isn't much of an achievement ;-)

:lol: :lol: i'm on cloud nine right now....the scum get smashed in a Grand Final AGAIN AND the roosters beat the other, cheating scum! how good is it atm!!!

Terminator

First Grade
[quote="CyberKev
Matthews a nutter? WTF???!!! In what way? He has no peer in the coaching caper at the moment and I'd love to have his crazy arse back at Glenferrie right now. Some guys are just born 'winners'... Lethal is THE legend of the game.

CyberKev[/quote]

You said it, he's mad as a cut snake! :lol:

meltiger

First Grade
terminator007 said:
[quote="CyberKev

CyberKev

You said it, he's mad as a cut snake! :lol:[/quote]

LOL!!

Gotta admit, for once (Yes it's rare :) ) I do have to agree with Kev on this one... Four GF's ... Four premierships including being the only man in nearly 50 years now to mastermind a Collingwood premiership.... On top of his wonderful career as a player... the man has no peer in the game.

CyberKev

Staff member
meltiger said:

Malthouse does okay... I thought he handled himself well on the day, up until he slagged off young Cloke to 3AW, which was disappointing from someone with his experience.

3AW - What did you think of Cloke's game?

MALTHOUSE - I thought he had a better game in last year's GF

in response

CLOKE- We'd have won the game if Matthews had of been coaching us!

Touche (or is it touchy?)

Malthouse has done a fab job with the Magpies though, although he is some danger of emulating Hafey if he can't get a surge of skill and talent to better complement the workrate.

I'm not sure about feeling that Hawthorn is well away from a GF appearance. With a side like Brisbane around we're a long way away from winning one, but the difference between the other sides is minimalist.

CyberKev

CyberKev

Staff member
meltiger said:
Gotta admit, for once (Yes it's rare :) ) I do have to agree with Kev on this one... Four GF's ... Four premierships including being the only man in nearly 50 years now to mastermind a Collingwood premiership.... On top of his wonderful career as a player... the man has no peer in the game.

Like I said in the other thread, even prejudiced people can get it right on occasion :)

In the last couple of decades people have raved about players like Voss, Carey, Ablett, Lockett, Hird, Dunstall, Buckley and the like, which hasn't been without good reason.

Matthews is almost universally only for his coaching by a new generation, but I can still remember the hoopla that surrounded him as a player in the late seventies. As good as those other players have been, none of them have matched the Matthews aura from that time, when he was atop the wishlist of every VFL club. Richmond came close to getting him in 1979, and both the Tigers and the Magpies were only too ready to wander up his driveway with a wheelbarrow full of cash if he'd only have given the word. They were about the only clubs of the time that could afford him.

You still need a solid list to be able to win a premiership as a coach, but few men have the capacity to waltz into a club, demand instant respect from all (from their legendary standing in the game), and have the clout to make changes happen as they want them to happen. Dick Reynolds & John Coleman did it at Essendon in past decades, and Barassi was able to do it at North Melbourne in the 1970s. Matthews had it in 1999 when he took on the Lions (then wooden spooners) and we're seeing the results in full-on technicolour.

I think Matthews effort in 1990 stands as the best coaching effort (single season) of my time. Not the best coaching effort (all-up) though, as I don't think anyone has got close to Hafey's effort of getting a painfully average Collingwood side (wooden spooners when he took over) into 4 GFs in 5 seasons. Yeah they lost 'em all, but on ability they had no rights being in any of them in the first place.

I wonder how Sheeds is feeling this morning? In 1998 he mocked Matthews on Talking Footy and said that he couldn't criticise him because he only had 1 premiership to Sheeds' 3. It didn't take long to change that discrepancy...

CyberKev

meltiger

First Grade
CyberKev said:
meltiger said:

Malthouse does okay... I thought he handled himself well on the day, up until he slagged off young Cloke to 3AW, which was disappointing from someone with his experience.

3AW - What did you think of Cloke's game?

MALTHOUSE - I thought he had a better game in last year's GF

in response

CLOKE- We'd have won the game if Matthews had of been coaching us!

Touche (or is it touchy?)

Malthouse has done a fab job with the Magpies though, although he is some danger of emulating Hafey if he can't get a surge of skill and talent to better complement the workrate.

I'm not sure about feeling that Hawthorn is well away from a GF appearance. With a side like Brisbane around we're a long way away from winning one, but the difference between the other sides is minimalist.

CyberKev

Mate, on the Hawthorn point, with them straddling the Salary Cap line the way they are, improvement is going to be hard to find. I also still think they have some soft edges within the team but those in glass houses ;-)

On Mick, he has done a fantastic job at Collingwood.... they are NOT a Grand Final team. I could only imagine what he and Miller combined at Richmond could do, if only he'd come home :(

CyberKev

Staff member
meltiger said:
Mate, on the Hawthorn point, with them straddling the Salary Cap line the way they are, improvement is going to be hard to find. I also still think they have some soft edges within the team but those in glass houses ;-)

The Hawthorn cap problem is a worry, but other clubs have faced worse woes over the years. Its due largely to the backending of a series of contracts and while its causing headaches now, it won't be a concern this time next season.

Of course, we're worried about the here and now. Rawlings will almost certainly leave, which will end-up leaving us vulnerable at CHB for 2004, which we effectively were in 2003 with Rawlings filling-in long term up forward.

Improvement? It was already happening during the second half of 2003 with a welter of young footballers stepping-up to drive the side forward (only Port fared better during the second half of the year). That improvement will continue, although we aren't going to get improvement from our talls. Just regularly getting those guys on the paddock for 80% of the year will be the ask and if it happens then the club will make the 8. Ostensibly we're in the same spot that we were two years ago, except that we have a younger and more potent midfield contingent. The club will just hope for the best with the talls and continue to bring through young kpp at Box Hill in the hope that they'll be ready to step-up from 2005 onwards.

As long as the club doesn't give away its top picks (it'll get another top ten one for Rawlings) on the likes of Dean Solomon. If we have two top ten picks then both of them MUST be spent on the two best young kpp types available.

I hear that Richmond is also thinking of giving up its top pick (+ a player) for Solomon. That would not be wise recruiting and would be pushing the club towards a future as "the new St Kilda". They may decide to switch toward Nathan Brown heavily, which would be understandable. I'm wary of giving up top ten youngsters these days, as the amount of effort that goes into ranking these blokes has improved enormously in recent years and you now have to be very unlucky to lose out long term on these picks.

Interesting times...

CyberKev

CyberKev

Staff member
meltiger said:
On Mick, he has done a fantastic job at Collingwood.... they are NOT a Grand Final team. I could only imagine what he and Miller combined at Richmond could do, if only he'd come home :(

Agreed... They're both hardened professionals, whereas Spud Frawley still comes across sounding and looking like a rookie from the bush.

CyberKev

AuckMel

Bench
terminator007 said:

You'll be pleased to know, that he has been charged.

Latest posts