What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

continuing negotiations with other players

lewiscook

Juniors
Next year:
Hayne
Grothe
Delaney
Inu/Reddy
Reddy/Inu
Keating/Robson
Mortimer/Robson
Mateo
Hindmarsh
Shackleton
Poore
Keating
Cayless

Moi Moi
Kingston
Robson
Mannah

Would be pretty damn good, I reckon.

we going to play without a hooker?

caylo

Bench
Next year:
Hayne
Grothe
Delaney
Inu/Reddy
Reddy/Inu
Keating/Robson
Mortimer/Robson
Mateo
Hindmarsh
Shackleton
Poore
Keating
Cayless

Moi Moi
Kingston
Robson
Mannah

Would be pretty damn good, I reckon.

I would go

Hayne
Reddy
Karols.F (if all goes to plan Anderson is prob thinking this)
Inu
Grothe
Mortimer
Keating
Cayless
Keating
Poore
Hindmarsh
Stapelton
Mateo

Mitchell (i think he'll be ready and good behind a big strong pack)
Galuvao
Mannah
Fuifui

That is assuming we don't sign anyone else, If talks of Cuthbeston and Wing coming over is true then they would come into the team, Also is talks of Cayless leaving would change the team again (if he does leave I hope we get Cuthberson then).

Inu may find more space behind a good pack and some space outwide, I think Anderson see somthing there and try and get him to play good footy again. Looks good so far, definatly a top 4 team and I would prob have the Cayless, Fui and Poore playing 50min each with Mannah playing 30min. In the backrow I think Hindy would be playing 70-80 min with Mateo and shack playing 60-70 min each and Galuvao playing about 30min.

I do like the idea of Poore and Fui on at the same time but a Cayless/Mannah bench option would not be a good idea IMO and we may be better off with a Poore/Fui and Mannah/Cuthberson rotation.

Last edited:

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
delaney is a far greater player than:
ben smith
Tautai
Inu

He is in the same boat as reddy... however reddy is a noted try scorer with weaker defence. Delaney is a known metre maker with strong defence, but doesnt cross the line often.
However he regulary sets his winger up really well

I agree he is better then Ben Smith ( injuries have not been kind). Inu has more attacking ability in his left toe then Brett but doesn't seem to be in the right frame on mind - just maybe our forwards don't have enough go-forward for our back line to get some good ball ( but this is another debate).

Then there is Tautai ( I know I keep on supporting him) - he reminds me a lot like Brett when he was at the eels. Brett was like Tautai a very good player in the lower grades then they entered first and didn't became instant super stars. Now Brett after a few seasons finding his feet is a good player and even mentioned as a origin play, maybe if we give tautai sometime he will develop into a good player like Brett - not all players can be superstars in 1 to 2 seasons.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I would go

Hayne
Reddy
Karols.F (if all goes to plan Anderson is prob thinking this)
Inu
Grothe
Mortimer
Kelly
Cayless
Keating
Poore
Hindmarsh
Stapelton
Mateo

Mitchell (i think he'll be ready and good behind a big strong pack)
Galuvao
Mannah
Fuifui

That is assuming we don't sign anyone else, If talks of Cuthbeston and Wing coming over is true then they would come into the team, Also is talks of Cayless leaving would change the team again (if he does leave I hope we get Cuthberson then).

Inu may find more space behind a good pack and some space outwide, I think Anderson see somthing there and try and get him to play good footy again. Looks good so far, definatly a top 4 team and I would prob have the Cayless, Fui and Poore playing 50min each with Mannah playing 30min. In the backrow I think Hindy would be playing 70-80 min with Mateo and shack playing 60-70 min each and Galuvao playing about 30min.

I do like the idea of Poore and Fui on at the same time but a Cayless/Mannah bench option would not be a good idea IMO and we may be better off with a Poore/Fui and Mannah/Cuthberson rotation.

I love it how people continue to discontinue players already in the nrl side for players in the lower grades without any experience except the "potential" to make it in the NRL. If mortimer or kelly are selected in front of Kris Keating , I will give up. Kris has NRL experience and looks a player heading somewhere. I know this is a big call but in 2-3 years I call see him taking Craig Wings's origin position as the player that can play in the backs or hooker ( I know a big call and may not happen, but this guy has shown great potential in the NRL not LOWER GRADES!!!)

caylo

Bench
I agree he is better then Ben Smith ( injuries have not been kind). Inu has more attacking ability in his left toe then Brett but doesn't seem to be in the right frame on mind - just maybe our forwards don't have enough go-forward for our back line to get some good ball ( but this is another debate).

Then there is Tautai ( I know I keep on supporting him) - he reminds me a lot like Brett when he was at the eels. Brett was like Tautai a very good player in the lower grades then they entered first and didn't became instant super stars. Now Brett after a few seasons finding his feet is a good player and even mentioned as a origin play, maybe if we give tautai sometime he will develop into a good player like Brett - not all players can be superstars in 1 to 2 seasons.

I think Joel is a better centre then Delany and TT, so why keep TT at all when there are other options which are just as good. Inu and Joel will be a good centre pairing and unless we got someone much better I wouldnt waste my money. I still have big hopes for someone like Richardson or Karlos coming through.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I think Joel is a better centre then Delany and TT, so why keep TT at all when there are other options which are just as good. Inu and Joel will be a good centre pairing and unless we got someone much better I wouldnt waste my money. I still have big hopes for someone like Richardson or Karlos coming through.

I agree I think Tautia's days as a centre are numbered ( like delaney), however for the right price ( which I don't know what this is - only the Eels management would know) I reckon we should keep him. I think he will develop into a very good backrower, he just needs time. My point with my post was we develop players through the junior grades and if they are not super stars straight away we give up. The eels have spent a lot of time developing players like Tautai and maybe giving him another 2 years (at the right price) he could suprise a lot of us eel supporters. Some players need a few seasons to develop into NRL players, the following players who are now rep players didn't become superstars in one season but took several;

Luke Bailey
Glen Stewart
Brett Kite
Kurt Gidley
Ben Creagh
Justin Poore
Steve Price
Jonthan Thurston

Just to name a few. Gee we have signed Shane Shackton ( and I am happy) but he is about 26 with only 60 nrl games - not a stat for a player making it at 20.

caylo

Bench
Luke Bailey - forward cant compare
Glen Stewart - forward cant compare
Brett Kite - forward cant compare
Kurt Gidley - always looked good but was never a 5-8 and was always played there or in the centres. Since moving to fullback he has been at his best.
Ben Creagh - looed good from when he made his debu on the wing
Justin Poore - forward cant compare
Steve Price - forward cant compare
Jonthan Thurston - half definatly cant compare

simply look at the good outside backs in the comp Inglus, Hoges, Slater, Hunt, Hayne, Falou, Gasnier, Lyon etc. They all look good from a young age in the NRL, even guys like SBW, Creigh and Lewis who start in the backline and move into the backrow look good at a young age in backline.

TT is not quick enough to make it in the centres, he doesn't have a big fend he just runs it hard and straight but makes silly errors and gives away dumb penalties. We have a glutten on avg backrower and good young backrower we don't need to try and manufature one.

salvy71

Juniors
matt head reminds me of robson with more first grade appearance...

Yeah that's what i was thinking , he may have been a good buy a few years ago but he's pretty much a lost cause nowadays .....probably why the Dragons and Tigers have played pass the parcel with him the last 3 years .......

caylo

Bench
I love it how people continue to discontinue players already in the nrl side for players in the lower grades without any experience except the "potential" to make it in the NRL. If mortimer or kelly are selected in front of Kris Keating , I will give up. Kris has NRL experience and looks a player heading somewhere. I know this is a big call but in 2-3 years I call see him taking Craig Wings's origin position as the player that can play in the backs or hooker ( I know a big call and may not happen, but this guy has shown great potential in the NRL not LOWER GRADES!!!)

Yes sorry I am a big advocate for Keating at halfback and that is what i ment... my mistake I will fix it ;)

KK is a better player than Kelly and Mortimer IMO and i have stated that 100 times... sorry again :D