What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Contract situation is black and White

Pumba

First Grade
Contract situation is black and White
BY ROBERT DILLON

MATT White is playing for his footballing life.

Until five days ago, the big, bald Knights prop was wondering when or if he would play at NRL level again.

Languishing in the Central Newcastle NSW Cup (reserve grade) team and off contract at season's end, his professional career was going nowhere fast.

But a phone call on Friday morning provided the 24-year-old from Inverell with an unexpected shot at salvation.

On the other end of the line was Knights assistant coach Rick Stone, who told White that representative forward Steve Simpson was in doubt with injury for the crucial clash with Penrith at CUA Stadium that night.

Stone told White to grab his boots, jump in a car with Knights trainer Graham Perkins, and high-tail it to the Penrith hotel where the Knights had stayed overnight.

At the very least, he would be Newcastle's 18th man.

By the time they arrived at Penrith, Simpson had failed a fitness test and coach Brian Smith delivered the best news White had heard all year.

"You're playing," the coach said. "In the starting line-up."

White did not need a second invitation.

Having last played in Newcastle's first-grade team on August 3 last year, he was in no mood to let this opportunity slip through his fingers.

"It has been a little bit frustrating, being stuck in reserve grade," he said yesterday. "But I've just been biding my time, hoping I'd get another shot at first grade.

"When I found out I was playing on Friday, I knew I had to grab it with both hands and make the most of it."

White did just that.

Packing down against Penrith's international props, Petero Civoniceva and Tony Puletua, he carried the ball 80 metres in 43 minutes and made 28 bruising tackles.

His up-front enthusiasm helped Newcastle to a 30-18 upset against the Panthers, a result that keeps the Knights in touch with the top eight.

It was also enough for White to retain his position in the run-on team for Saturday night's showdown with Cronulla at Toyota Stadium.

In doing so, he has nudged ahead of fellow free agents Jesse Royal and Mark Taufua in the race to land a new NRL contract be it with the Knights or elsewhere.

White, who has made 22 appearances since his NRL debut in 2005, admitted that Friday's surprise call-up was a priceless chance to advertise his talents.

"I'm off contract at the end of this year, so I suppose I had to make a bit of a name for myself and prove what I'm worth," he said. "So, yeah, there was a bit of pressure there."

Knights officials appear in no rush to kick off contract talks with White, but that could change if he strings together a few good games.

"They haven't really shown any interest in re-signing," he said. "My manager's been talking to a couple of clubs, but nothing too flash yet."

Smith said there were "still a couple of spots open" in next season's squad, but the club was well-stocked in terms of front-rowers.

"We've got Dan Tolar, Richard Fa'aoso, Steve Simpson, Zeb Taia, Chris Houston, Ben Cross, Danny Wicks and Tim Natusch who can all play prop, and probably Cameron Ciraldo, too, at a pinch," Smith said.

"We're not short in that position. We'll be monitoring how Mark, Jesse and Whitey go for the rest of the season . . . but it's a fact of life that there are a lot of front-rowers out there who are off contract."

The agent who manages both White and Royal, Darryl Mather, has held talks with the Warriors about Royal.

Mather said there was "some interest" but nothing had "crystallised".

He said his next move would be to start exploring the possibility of finding a club in England for Royal, although the 28-year-old has played only 25 NRL games, 11 short of the minimum requirement for Super League imports.

Link

Last edited:

Adsy

Juniors
I really wouldn't call Ciraldo or Houston front rowers. And I'd prefer Simmo n Taia to be in the back row. That leaves 5 front rowers for next season in cluding Timmy who has never played first grade. Smitty is joking if he thinks thats all we will need next year.

Pumba

First Grade
Doesn't sound positive RE: Royal.

IMHO, I can't see Royal here next year.

Jono078

Referee
Didn't realise White was off contract.

He has the physical attributes to become good.

I like that he has age on his side aswell. He is only like 22, 23?

Jono078

Referee
Haha, that's what happens when you don't read the whole thing.

I think he is worth keeping around. I think Royal is gone, but White isnt too bad a direct replacement for Royal I dont think.

Royal in all honesty has only played one decent season out three or four. Smithy wants consistency and I guess Royal isn't seen as up to the task for another three years. I like Jess as a player so it would be sad to see him go. Surely Smith has another young front rower in his sights from somewhere. All I know is that Smith apparently sets individual performance parameters and a player is expected to meet them. Exactly why Aku has taken so long to make grade. I agree whole heartedly that Smithy should eventually end up our coaching director. He is the grand master of coaching other coaches along with Sheensy. Smith prodigees = J Taylor, Sharpy, Daniel Anderson, Matt Elliot, Brian Noble with each having great success. Noble for mine is a superb coach. Has turned Wigan around completely. Would love him as our next coach.

macavity

Referee
with the coin we SHOULD have available, I don't see why we haven't got all three tied up.... its not like any of them will be asking for much.

Pika

Bench
White has a number of isssues with his defence that still need sorting out.

They will be fixed.

Give Jess another year and sign White for one with an option for another.

Doubt we will keep either.

Seriously, Smith is fudging the prop figures badly if he is counting Zeb and House in the roster.

Yosh

Coach
I would have White and Royal both sign. They both pretty good maybe not superstars but pretty solid in both the attack and the D...

I think if we look through all the tries we have let in I would say nearly half of them were due to Wicks misstackle, or he is in that immeadiate vicinity...

otori

Juniors
Disappointing news. Smith sure does have a strange way of doing things. Putting Royal, Taufua and White on the outer when they promise a lot more than Houston, Wicks and Ciraldo.

Adsy

Juniors
We really need to keep either Royal or White for atleast one more year. I was trying to make up our top 25 squad for next year while covering all positions with some depth and this is what I came up with.

1. Gidley
2. Uate
3. McManus
4. Naiqama
5. Vuna
6. Sau
7. Lulia
8. Mullen
9. Karawana
10. Dureau
11. Taumata/ Walsh
12. Simpson
13. Houston
14. Patterson
15. Taufua
16. Taia
17. Ciraldo
18. Hilder
19. De Gois
20. Cross
21. Tolar
22. Fa'aoso
23. Natusch
24. Wicks
25. Royal/ White

Let me know if I left any one off. :)

Johns Magic

Referee
Disappointing news. Smith sure does have a strange way of doing things. Putting Royal, Taufua and White on the outer when they promise a lot more than Houston, Wicks and Ciraldo.

I don't see how you can say that.

Houston, Wicks and Ciraldo may not be performing to their potential yet, but they've shown touches of class that the likes of Royal(with the exception of the Tigers game last year) and White haven't.

These two will never be rep quality. Houston and Wicks could be, and Ciraldo has shown that he has good skills for a backrower.

Pika

Bench
Sadly, I cant see Wicks reaching that potential JM.

I also think House and Cirro are back rowers and its a long stretch to see them in the front row.

Apples and oranges really.

Johns Magic

Referee
Sadly, I cant see Wicks reaching that potential JM.

I also think House and Cirro are back rowers and its a long stretch to see them in the front row.

Apples and oranges really.

At this stage I can't see Wicks realising his potential either, but there's no doubts he has the potential to start with.

I wasn't talking about Ciraldo and Houston in regards to front-row, I just meant as players.

I think those three have much more promise than the three toilers they were compared to, they're just yet to fulfil it. I can see exactly why Smith has chosen to persevere with them.

Latest posts