What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Contract Terminated !!!

Finchy

Juniors
Just heard on the sports show with john gibbs and warren smith that tevita latu's contract has been terminated. this was in an interview they had with Greg Pierce.
wat do you all think is the punishment to harsh?

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
36 hours since the incedent & punishment has been dealt out by his employer.
We must have a sponsor coming on board in the near future.

Special K

Coach
He shouldn't have been released. He should pay for his actions but would club should have not just washed their hands of him and his talents.

Sharkie73

Bench
No its not harsh, good move by the club they have now set a standard and all the players know what they can expect if they Stuff up big time. Bring on Tony Caine

Fin077

Juniors
While I think his actions were VERY wrong, I do think kicking him out on the street is somewhat harsh.

He could have been made to pay for his actions through other avenues and it seems he's been made an example.

In saying that, keeping him may well have caused riffs within the playing ranks so perhaps parting ways is best for the club as a whole.

Tough decision made there, but onward and upward....we got us to comp to win! ;-)

beekershark

Bench
blacktip-reefy said:
36 hours since the incedent & punishment has been dealt out by his employer.
We must have a sponsor coming on board in the near future.

Or more to the point, getting sponsors to commit to our Sleeve, and for next year has proven difficult to this point, so swift action like this needs to be taken in order to not make it any harder to get one.

Inferno

Coach
I would have preffered we kept him, but Im definately biased because I loved watching him play. If it was a player I didn't like I would probably be calling for his head.

In the end it is probably for the best and I hope we can move onwards and put this matter behind us swiftly.

I wish Latu all the best in the future as well.

Dread

Juniors
We have to show dickheads like Latu that that sort of behaviour won't be tolerated at the Sharks.

This whole incident has been dealt with superbly by the club.

Never really a fan, we leak too many points when he's on the field.

If we have to have an interchange hooker, I'd prefer Hilder or TC. It'll be interesting to see the difference this weekend.

wittyfan

Referee
Appropriate action taken by the club. I think zero tolerance is the only way to go for all clubs.

roboshark

Coach
A female point of view is that this action is sending a strong message to the other players that this sort of behaviour is not on. Some players think that they are God's gift to women and they can get away with anything.

Whilst he was a good player we don't need the bad publicity as this sort of shyte sticks. The Bulldogs incident comes to mind.

Sorry this isn't Robo it's Sam.

Jimbo

Immortal
Dread said:
We have to show dickheads like Latu that that sort of behaviour won't be tolerated at the Sharks.

This whole incident has been dealt with superbly by the club.

Word

There is no excuse for hitting a woman, unless it's Rebecca Wilson

Mr. Shark

Juniors
Not sure this is the right decision.

Ban him for 12 weeks- without payment.

Anyway , the standard has now been set. If it is applied consistently by ALL clubs then fair enough.

Latu has to face the consequences of his actions- I just hope he is strong enough to pull through; and I hope the young lady is okay.

Go Caine - grabthis opportunity!

ratsack2

Juniors
yet only hours before we were cheering this sort of behaviour on the field.

still any sort of violence is wrong in my book. I would have liked to see him staying at the club and paying back some sort of recompense. but I can also understand them getting rid of him.

as stated in another thread, certain clubs and players get away with it, the bulldogs, stains, gasnier. sharks get hounded, look at the media coverage of the last couple of days, still I would rather follow the sharks and discipline players if this sort of thing happens than support say the dogs or stains where things happen with relentless regularity

Since 73

First Grade
Whether or not it is too harsh is a debate that could go on for the next 20 pages. so in that regard it's a good question.
But It is basically a sign of how this game has is in the headlights.

Not that many years ago, the girl would have been paid off and the incident would have been the thing of whispers in bars and newsrooms.
But after the Bulldogs, NSW Origin team, Hoppa and a judgemental public ready to point the finger and bleat how "the game is rife with lowlife', no CEO who wants to keep his job is going to protect drunken behaviour. Or even worse, behaviour where women are menaced. the club cannot distance themselves from Latu quick enough or far enough.
Mothers, sponsors, juniors, season ticket-holders, the media hold power and sway now more than ever.
Latu has found out the hard way. Stuff up and you are on your own.
Oh, and your lawyer of course.

Did you notice how I got hoppa and 'finger' in the same sentence and it didn't sound like a bad pun?

Latest posts