What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

contracted players involved in an incident in Wollongong Saturday night.

jay mac

Juniors
Maybe I'm stretching a long bow here.... but all these have happened under McGregor's watch. I think this is no coincidence.

There was a DT story quoting Lafai when he first arrived, which basically stated that he found Mary to be much more laid-back than Des and it suited Lafai so much more. I thought it was a strange thing to say at the time, even if he was thinking it. But i think now that Lafai's attitude work ethic has been fairly well exposed.

And also that Mary does not demand much of his players. Hard to respect a guy like that.

I'm unable to post the link.

Last edited:

drago brelli

Bench
St George Illawarra has always been a club that had minimal off field incidents.

Garvey, Nielson, & now the alledged players involved.

Maybe I'm stretching a long bow here.... but all these have happened under McGregor's watch. I think this is no coincidence.

The US Government is sheeting the current unrest in Turkey home to a one P McGregor.

Not being able to see that the apples don't fall far from the trees is ridiculous. Culture starts from the top.
Bunch of utter crap.

Players are responsible for their own actions they are grown men.

I don't condone what McGregor did but to think he is responsible for that kind of stupidity is so stupid its not funny.

GKJ79

Juniors
We can criticize the Club for poor NRL
performance however I believe that they get
an A+ for discipline and reform of players. I have full confidence in the Club to resolve this matter satisfactorily as it has a strong track record in this area.

Yep getting rid of Doust and Mcgregor will do the trick.

GKJ79

Juniors
Bunch of utter crap.

I don't condone what McGregor did but to think he is responsible for that kind of stupidity is so stupid its not funny.

McGregor bought both of them, he is 100% responsible, shame on him, the result of more poor signings, and, decision making.

Straight shooter.

Father Ted

First Grade
St George Illawarra has always been a club that had minimal off field incidents.

Garvey, Nielson, & now the alledged players involved.

Father Ted

First Grade
Nobody at the club has heard of the buck stops here. Professional sports people who are on the grog until the early hours of the morning , surely don't have any real desire to make a
commitment
kəˈmɪtm(ə)nt/
noun
  1. .
    the state or quality of being dedicated to a cause
The cause being our club.

Old Timer

Coach
Nobody at the club has heard of the buck stops here. Professional sports people who are on the grog until the early hours of the morning , surely don't have any real desire to make a
commitment
kəˈmɪtm(ə)nt/
noun

1. .
    the state or quality of being dedicated to a cause
The cause being our club.
Hired guns (pop variety of course) with no sense of history.

Kevin Walters showed the way forward and every club should tale a leaf out of his book.

Jury still out until all the facts come in but as my dear old dad used to say

"No good can possibly come out of being in the wrong place at the wrong time so best follow the rules son".

since77

Juniors

Players are responsible for their own actions, correct. People behave very, very differently under different mentors and cultures though. Different mentor, I doubt this alcohol fuelled story happens.

Old Timer

Coach
Players are responsible for their own actions, correct. People behave very, very differently under different mentors and cultures though. Different mentor, I doubt this alcohol fuelled story happens.
Who was the SOO coach when Timmins jumped onto the street sweeper in Brisbane in the early hours of the morning?

So how do you explain the likes of Thompson and his fantatsic community work.

You have stated that Mary is a bad apple so why isn't he the same.

How is it Packer has turned his life around and Dugan as well.

So basically the Dragons have a cultural problem in your opinion and a horrible mentor.

I'll say they are both nothing but petty thugs who hit another guy for no real good reason and its their own character flaws and nothing else.

Have an issue with the club but have one for the right reasons like poorly run not for producing thugs.

Old Timer

Coach
I'll remember to file street sweeper joyride next to violence and assault then.....
Me thinks you are miss reading the intent of the post
Just pointing out that individuals are responsible for their own actions and the coach or manager are not responsible for grown adults.
How you deal with the aftermath of such things lays down the law and ground rules but even that will not stop stupidity.
As I have already posted on this subject when all the facts are known they need to be dealt with appropriately.

since77

Juniors
So how do you explain the likes of Thompson and his fantatsic community work.

You have stated that Mary is a bad apple so why isn't he the same.

How is it Packer has turned his life around and Dugan as well.

So basically the Dragons have a cultural problem in your opinion and a horrible mentor.

I'll say they are both nothing but petty thugs who hit another guy for no real good reason and its their own character flaws and nothing else.

Have an issue with the club but have one for the right reasons like poorly run not for producing thugs.

Kudos to Thompson, I admire his off field work.

Packer seems to have turned things around but let's not forget McGregor described his criminal act that could have easily led to someone's death as a a simple man on man fight.....

Dugan was immature but hardly the huge troublemaker he was made out to be - there wasn't a lot except immaturity to turn around. I suspect losing a Broncos contract taught him a lot more about life than he's learnt under Mary.

I acknowledge your points and that bad eggs can pop up anywhere but do you think players recently dropped by someone like Wayne Bennett or Craig Bellamy would react by going out on the booze and getting into trouble?

Red V for life

Juniors
I was pretty disappointed to read about this.

On the positive side, Milne should see out the year in first grade (barring injury). It could be a very costly error of judgement for Lafai in particular.

Lafai and Havili if the club is fair dinkum should get the arse.

Neilson and Founa Blake did.

Garvey was the only real mistake they made and he should have been punted straight away to.