What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Controversy Corner at 10am Sundays on 7 and 7TWO in Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth

NRLMad

Juniors
Is it worth watching? Or is it Footy Show type bullsh*t?

I find it pretty funny.. I also like controversy corner.. The best thign abt the show is that they get people who are staqrs to turn up etc.. That can only help to grow the profile of the game..

nrlnrl

First Grade
I dream of Nein losing the TV rights, 7 and 10 flicking the AFL and forming a ring with the ABC to get Rugby League and then Fox and Nein being forced to do with just the AFL.

It's a dream of dreams, if ever there was one...

Be careful what you wish for - quite a few people think that 7 & 10 or even the ABC would have a "perfect coverage" of NRL.

This will never occur as there will always be some who complain about the coverage, eg - some people want more variety - with all teams having exposure on Fridays, but then some will complain about dud games rather than the "number 1" game. Others don't like MNF or they want a mid afternoon game on Saturday. The structure of games might change with only 1 game on Friday nights & more Sunday afternoon games.

The NRL tv rights pie will be cut up into different pieces with 9 & Fox Sports keeping most, but 7 will gain a share ( 1 or possibly 2 games a week & maybe some of the rep games like tests & City v Country ).

MsStorm

Bench
That's awesome news for rugby league people in afl states.

You guys are always talking about The Sunday Roast...now if only we could get that shown on GO, I'd be wrapped.

Brutus

Referee
Channel 9 used to have a rugby league-only show on Sunday mornings in the 90's despite not having the rights.

Jon Harker and Graeme Hughes were the hosts in the various years and Roy "the professor" MAsters was the constant.

Fatty started his 'Footy Show panel' type career on the show in the early 90's.

Coaster

Bench
If nine lose the rights to the NRL, they will not just stop the other shows like Roast, Fs, sunday Fs, ect. These shows are still highly watched programs.

Nine are nothing but AFL in the Vic, and they do have any rights to that sport.

nrlnrl

First Grade
careful what you wish for?

NO ONE could be worse than 9

I'm just worried that some people are being lulled into thinking that another FTA channel would have a perfect coverage of NRL.

Whatever happens with the NRL rights, channels 7 & 10 will still have some AFL & apparently 9 are interested in obtaining a portion. As most of you are aware, 9 will have rugby union coverage next year & this will upset some people. Even if there was a dedicated NRL channel, ( which would be great ) some people would be unhappy about the content.

Let's be realistic & appreciate the coverage however it pans out.
There are people on this forum too young to remember the days when only a couple of games were shown each week. Sure it was fun to come home & watch the delayed game on a Sunday night after watching your team play, but I think we're pretty lucky in comparison these days. ( ok, not everyone has pay-tv, but the option to be able to watch every game each week is there ).

Anyway, this is OT & should be in the television rights thread ( sorry ! )

meltiger

First Grade
hard to tell. it's usually the best part of the show and only ever lasts 8 minutes which is way too short.

I find it pretty funny.. I also like controversy corner.. The best thign abt the show is that they get people who are staqrs to turn up etc.. That can only help to grow the profile of the game..

thanks guys (& anyone I forgot to quote)

Mate - it;s cringeworthy. Still, if you are starved for League on telly...........

Well that's the problem, something is better than the normal nothing lol

Zigwaa

Bench
Finally something positive for Rugby League coverage in Adelaide. Channel 9 jerks won't even put origin on live here even after we bombarded them with phone calls complaining.

Paullyboy

Coach
careful what you wish for?

NO ONE could be worse than 9

People dump on 9 and there is a fair bit of reasoning for it, but it could definitely be worse than we have it now. We currently have two games on a Friday night and one on the Sunday (I admit, the Sunday game is painful to watch because of the excessive ads, but every commercial channel is going to do the same thing).

The only major improvement that is reasonable to expect (other than getting coverage in other states) is for Monday night footy to possibly get a run on free-to-air, but it rates so well for fox so I can't see it happening.

El Diablo

Post Whore
9 don't even honour their contract and show games after midnight in Melbourne. something they are not supposed to do

forward pass

Coach
If nine lose the rights to the NRL, they will not just stop the other shows like Roast, Fs, sunday Fs, ect. These shows are still highly watched programs.

Why would they continue with the Roast and Sunday Footy show when they wont be allowed to show footage of matches?? :?

No way in the world would they continue with them. Thursday night maybe - not the others.

El Diablo

Post Whore
9 would stop them and just show the AFL versions on Thursdays and Sundays

9 have a 2 hour Footy Show on Sunday mornings in AFL states and they can't use footage

Last edited:

Coaster

Bench
I dont think they would, they know how well these shows rate, thats why they are on, not because of there love for League.

As El said, They have the equivalent shows in Victoria for AFL and they do not have the rights to that sport.

The Afl Footy show Thursday night
The AFL sunday footyshow Sunday 11-1pm
TAC cup games Sunday 1-2pm - must be like the old VFL or something
Footy Classified Monday 10.30-11.30pm

If they want viewers in Qld and NSW they will have NRL shows or they will lose all of those timeslots, if they think they can get the AFL and replace those shows with the AFL shows, they will fail.

They get away with it in Victoria as people just expect not to see NRL down there, but that will not be the case up here.

The worst case scenario for us is that they get the rights to both sports, or they get the rights to the NRL, but we do not force them to show the games live across the country and end up with what we have now, for another christ knows how many years.

Either way, the NRL need to force there hand, we hold the golden egg, and we should make them know it. Do you remember the uproar when Gallop only acknowledged the Matty Johns show, and Nine came out swinging?
Yet they make a deal with a rival sport, to not compete against it in any time slot, to gain access to clips and players. FFS they showed some celebrity game of AFL LIVE, but did not show the SOO Live.

Latest posts