What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cool Vettori takes New Zealand home

Robster

Bench
Cool Vettori takes New Zealand home

The Bulletin by Anand Vasu

February 21, 2006

New Zealand 204 for 7 (Vettori 53*, Fulton 47) beat West Indies 200 for 8 (Hinds 76, Morton 39) by 3 wickets
Scorecard and ball-by-ball commentary
How they were out

spacer.gif

238330.jpg

Shane Bond took 2 for 23 including the crucial wicket of Wavell Hinds. © Getty Images

New Zealand found a cool head in Daniel Vettori and held their nerve to sneak home in a low-scoring ODI against West Indies at Queenstown to take a 2-0 lead in the series. When West Indies were put in to bat and restricted to 200 for 8 it appeared as though New Zealand would saunter to victory. But Ian Bradshaw and Fidel Edwards reduced New Zealand to 13 for 4, and wrested the initiative back for West Indies, but watched in dismay as Vettori made a calm and collected unbeaten 53 to guide New Zealand home with three wickets to spare.

West Indies' inability to close out a game once they had a grip on it - they simply lacked the firepower in both batting and bowling departments - once again came to the fore, and New Zealand's depth in batting, with Vettori coming in at No. 8 ensured that even the loss of early wickets could be overcome. Had New Zealand been asked to score at more than four an over the situation may have been different, but in the end all it took was for one man to bat sensibly.

When New Zealand began their pursuit of 201, though, the pace of Edwards and the probing accuracy of Bradshaw proved too hot to handle. Edwards hustled the batsmen from the word go, and struck in his first over, trapping Jamie How lbw for a duck. Bradshaw ensured that Edwards's effort was not wasted, backing him up well with some controlled swing bowling. Lou Vincent played down the wrong line to a perfectly pitched delivery that straightened and hit the top of off stump.

One run later Edwards put New Zealand in deeper trouble, getting rid of the dangerous Nathan Astle. Edwards fired one in short and Astle went for the pull, but was beaten for pace and could only hit the ball to Wavell Hinds at square-leg. Again Bradshaw backed up Edwards, trapping Stephen Fleming in front of the stumps. At 13 for 4, New Zealand were in serious danger of collapsing.

Scott Styris and Peter Fulton were left to arrest the slide and they were helped by the fact that their target was only 201, and a few quiet overs would not overly affect their chances. Fulton, graceful and considered, became the fulcrum of the New Zealand innings, and even the fall of Styris, who played away from his body to one from Jerome Taylor that bounced a bit more and presented a catch to slip, did not deter him. At the halfway mark of the innings New Zealand's hopes rested largely with Fulton, who was motoring towards his half-century. But he fell soon after - one run shy of 50 - edging to Denesh Ramdin off Rawl Lewis.

When Brendon McCullum, shouldering additional responsibility in the absence of Chris Cairns, was run out by a sharp bit of fielding after he had made a better than run-a-ball 45, West Indies had New Zealand on the run at 141 for 7, and should have swooped in for the kill. They did what they could, mixing spin with pace, rotating things around, but no single bowler looked consistently threatening.

Vettori, realising that all he needed to do was stay at the crease to ensure victory, settled in and began to score freely. He used angles to good effect, squeezing the ball through third-man and shoveling it past square-leg to pick up boundaries at regular intervals. Before they realised it, the match had slipped from West Indies' grasp as Vettori (53 not out) shared in a 60-run unbroken partnership with James Franklin for the 8th wicket that took New Zealand to victory.

But it wasn't as though West Indies were particularly in control when they first began. Their batsmen showed excessive caution against disciplined and tidy pace bowling, and Bond, although excellent, should not have been allowed to get away with a first spell of 6-4-2-1. While not looking to score quickly West Indies' top-order lost wickets, and at 60 for 4 from nearly 21 overs, were in need of something special to boost their score to respectability.

Runako Morton diligently ground out 93 balls at the crease for 39, but it was Wavell Hinds who did the bulk of the scoring, showing what could be achieved by positive intent. Although he did not at any stage attempt to attack the bowling outright, Hinds was constantly on the lookout for ones and twos and eventually the loose ball came along. When it did - mostly off the mediumpace of Styris - Hinds made sure he made it count, slicing through the off side with good bat speed.

Hinds could not have done it all himself, and he was fortunate to have Morton drop anchor at one end and ensure that the bowlers were forced to work hard. From the precariousness of 60 for 4 Hinds pushed the score along to 184 for 6 before Bond, returning for a second spell, had him caught behind for 76. The tail had little to offer after Hinds was gone, but managed to push the score to an even 200 for 8 off 50 overs. In the end, that proved to be too little to stave off defeat

ThrashViking

Juniors
Very odd.
Why on earth was Chanderful not putting any real pressure on Vettori & Franklin? Windies shouldve won this game with ease.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
ThrashViking said:
Very odd.
Why on earth was Chanderful not putting any real pressure on Vettori & Franklin? Windies shouldve won this game with ease.

NZ should've won that game with easy after the first innings.

go_the_doggies

Juniors
I only got to see us bat as i had school

omg i was going nuts when we were 13 for 4

it was disgraceful, i was swearing and all lol

Dan Vettori, damn hes cool

i know most wont believe me but anyone who knows me, knows that vettori has been my favourite player for like 4 years now
just like taine randell was when he was still playin union in nz, now hes gone and we've heard nothing about him

Im just glads we won:D

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Strange how the match was reported in NZ very negatively as a dire game, boring etc.

To me that was a brilliant fightback with the bat after the Windies should have had it very nearly in the bag.

In the paper this morning Richard Boock was talking about how we had avoided "disaster". Is losing the 2nd ODI to the West Indies really a disaster? Amazing how our cricket journalists can talk us down prior to a series, and then complain when we win that we aren't winning well enough.

West Indies 10 for 1 after 10 overs?!?!?! (I think) Were we watching a test or an OD1! Fascinating OD1, but not one i'd like to see too oftne.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
The_MaFeeLi_Tiger said:
West Indies 10 for 1 after 10 overs?!?!?! (I think) Were we watching a test or an OD1! Fascinating OD1, but not one i'd like to see too oftne.

That was only the first 10 overs. The Windies batting as a whole was certainly a bit slow, but the Black Caps innings was an intriguing and even exciting chase.

go_the_doggies

Juniors
Our chase was actually exciting tho, even at the start we majorly crumbled, but its good we did fight back, and gave the crowd, and the viewers at home some excitment

ThrashViking

Juniors
It was exciting. I honestly thought NZ had no chance of winning after Fulton & McCullum went after an abysmal start.
I just do not know what Chanmderpaul was bloody thinking. The man has no clue at all.

go_the_doggies

Juniors
I thought nz had no chance when we were 13 for 4 lol

im glad it all turned out ok, as i had been looking forward to that game since saturdays one ended lol