What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cooper Cronk sinbinning.

Ozzy

First Grade
I assumed he caught an errant stud in a tackle somehow. It couldn't have happened from impact, it was sliced open like a sausage. It looked deep enough to have exposed the bone.
Cheers I thouht that might have been the case. They mentioned on the radio this morning that it was a 12 stitch job and looked to be down to the bone.

Evenflow

Bench
Professional foul, thats what the sinbin is for.

fair decision imo.

The OP clearly wasn't asking opinions on whether the binning was a fair decision because you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who thought it wasn't. As for if Cronk did the thing, it's a hard one to call after the fact. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, if they didn't score any points you'd say absolutely it was right but given they scored 10 in his absence it's not so cut and dry.

firechild

First Grade
Deserved to be binned, but you cant give him 10 mins in the bin AND a penalty try. One or the other.

I disagree. It's 10 in the bin no matter what happens after that. Whether it should have been a penalty try is debatable. Carney beat Slater to the ball despite being infringed, the result was that he knocked on rather than being able to grab the ball. If his arm wasn't being held back you'd have to assume a try was a near certainty.

Danish

Referee
I think it was a penalty try personally. Even with Cronk holding him back for a good 5 metres Carney was still only beaten to the ball by inches. To me that means on the balance of probabilities he would have got there, and thats all thats required to give a penalty try.

Too many league people have it in their head that a penalty try can't be given unless a player has ball in hand and gets karate kicked in the head or something. Take a look at the penalty try given in the 2008 World Cup final as a good example of why last night should have also been a penalty try.

HOWEVER, I think the penalty try and sin binning rules need to be changed so that either a penalty try being awarded still results in the offending player being binned, or that a try scored while a player is in the bin results in that player being immediately allowed to return to play. It makes no sense that a penalty try being awarded negates a professional foul.

Mr Saab

Referee
I disagree. It's 10 in the bin no matter what happens after that. Whether it should have been a penalty try is debatable. Carney beat Slater to the ball despite being infringed, the result was that he knocked on rather than being able to grab the ball. If his arm wasn't being held back you'd have to assume a try was a near certainty.

You might disagree, but Harrigan said himself last yr on radio when there were issues with penalty tries that you cant give 10 mins and a penalty try.....he said they cant do that as it is too harsh.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Cheers I thouht that might have been the case. They mentioned on the radio this morning that it was a 12 stitch job and looked to be down to the bone.

I had a quick thought that they might just stitch him up and he could play on (he'd only been on for 8 minutes) but then remembered a similar injury I had when I slipped on rocks at the beach. It went down to the bone and the doc was worried about infection, so it couldn't just be patched up straight away.

He could be out for a few weeks.

Frailty

First Grade
You might disagree, but Harrigan said himself last yr on radio when there were issues with penalty tries that you cant give 10 mins and a penalty try.....he said they cant do that as it is too harsh.

Harrigan also said that Inglis scored that try in Game I...

Frailty

First Grade
I had a quick thought that they might just stitch him up and he could play on (he'd only been on for 8 minutes) but then remembered a similar injury I had when I slipped on rocks at the beach. It went down to the bone and the doc was worried about infection, so it couldn't just be patched up straight away.

He could be out for a few weeks.

Red this morning it was indeed to the bone and he was sent to hospital incase of infection and that he would be stitched up in theatre.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
Stewart grounded the ball before Taylor even got to it mate. It wouldnt have been given even if Taylor didnt try his superman act

i realise that but taylor didnt know that when he f**ked up. point is, wet conditions, bouncing ball may have put doubt into the situation even if slater was a little further away

hitman82

Bench
I was somewhat surprised by Gus saying he'd want his players to do that. If we started seeing a player being taken out every time they looked likely to score, games would become a bit of a mess and the NRL would have to increase the punishment for taking likely scorers out, or award penalty tries more often.

Danish

Referee
I was somewhat surprised by Gus saying he'd want his players to do that. If we started seeing a player being taken out every time they looked likely to score, games would become a bit of a mess and the NRL would have to increase the punishment for taking likely scorers out, or award penalty tries more often.

I understand his point though. If Cronk lets Carney through he scores, no question about it. By taking him out though, he denies the try and given the gravity of the game there would even be an outside chance that he could get away with it as refs have been known to shy away from the big decisions when under pressure (putting the whistle away in the final 5 mins is a good example of this, and not calling players offside when charging down field goal attempts).

With a match on the line most players would be willing to deliberately break the rules or commit foul play in the hopes of saving the game, and few coaches would begrudge them for trying it on.

redvscotty

First Grade
Cronk did it a second time (admittedly not as blatant) just after he came back out onto the field.

Big Pete

Referee
Good thread.

I thought it was way too early to get yourself binned like that & honestly Queensland were lucky NSW didn't go for a third try. We were vulnerable and they smelt blood in the water. If it was like, the final 5 minutes, I could live with it, but that early? No no no no no.

Right decision - and he saved 6 points so I think Cronk made the right call at the time. It was either try, penalty try or sin bin...........sin bin was still the best of the three options for QLD.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
I disagree. Look at the impact his binning had on the team, and then look at the immediate impact he had when he came back on. Nearly kicked a 40/20 that ended up being a goal line drop out to put us back on the attack. Giving up six points and then going back on the attack would have been better than not giving up any points, and then giving up 10.

Personally, I'd prefer to give up the try, than the sin binning. Conceding a try while you're a man down is the norm, and good sides usually put 2 or even 3 tries on, like NSW did last night.