What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corey Norman

mickeylane

Bench
If we get Milford now Im going to combust
What Milford has going for himself is that he had a strong combo w Ben Hunt .. I’ think Hook would b looking at this ... I’m on record saying I can’t see Hook starting w two rookies at crucial 1 and 6 positions

thebigredv

First Grade
Surely Milford signing on would unacceptable. To me it is like Norman all over again. Just because the coach has a connection with a player doesn't make him a good player.

We need to bring in players with a win at all costs culture. Sorry to sound brutal but this season has shown has what Milford is like under pressure.

Jack Bird is the closest we've got. Milford is clearly another Hunt or McCullogh who are not influential leaders, the latter is not even a very effective player in my opinion so I hope Griffin has a future plan for 9.

redVinme

Juniors
What Milford has going for himself is that he had a strong combo w Ben Hunt .. I’ think Hook would b looking at this ... I’m on record saying I can’t see Hook starting w two rookies at crucial 1 and 6 positions
I just don't think milf has the drive to turn it around hey. He's still overweight and his major asset which was his agility is a thing of the past.

Even if he only wanted 400k next year I'd still call it a negative asset. Imagine a coach wanting deaden, croft, gamble, Kelly and k hunt instead of you. Yet no bullshit when I say their combined wage was about that of milfs. If he was dead serious he'd try and restart his career at fullback but he'd have to dramatically turn his attitude around imo

redVinme

Juniors
Surely Milford signing on would unacceptable. To me it is like Norman all over again. Just because the coach has a connection with a player doesn't make him a good player.

We need to bring in players with a win at all costs culture. Sorry to sound brutal but this season has shown has what Milford is like under pressure.

Jack Bird is the closest we've got. Milford is clearly another Hunt or McCullogh who are not influential leaders, the latter is not even a very effective player in my opinion so I hope Griffin has a future plan for 9.
Funnily enough Jack bird is the only player in our current team that's won a comp? Faarma may have played a few games in the years Sydney won but wasnt In a gf side.

Jack clearly has a different mentality which is sorely lacking in our team.

jeffdragon

Bench
Funnily enough Jack bird is the only player in our current team that's won a comp? Faarma may have played a few games in the years Sydney won but wasnt In a gf side.

Jack clearly has a different mentality which is sorely lacking in our team.
He had mates today but was never sighted.
His work rate is not that of a back rower.
Centre is where he needs to be.

redVinme

Juniors
He had mates today but was never sighted.
His work rate is not that of a back rower.
Centre is where he needs to be.
On today's efforts I can agree. However old mate Norman also playing the short ball to him which was easily shut down as he's not really the size to be running that line unless there's actually a gap. Norman should have been giving him early ball. That said I'd be happy for Jack to play centre as I think we need to go to market for a decent edge. We don't have one that has been a consistent threat all year. Tariq in patches but the best ones do it weekly.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons five-eighth Corey Norman.

DRAGONS

'Special kids': Norman on call to back rookies at his expense​

Author Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter Timestamp Mon 14 Jun 2021, 09:21 PM
Brad Walter

Share on social media​

Corey Norman has backed St George Illawarra’s decision to invest in talented playmakers Jayden Sullivan and Talatau Amone - even if it has left without a contract for next season.
Dragons coach Anthony Griffin advised Norman last week that Sullivan and Amone were the future of the club and he would be joining fullback Matt Dufty on the transfer market.

The former Queensland Origin representative admitted after Sunday’s 28-6 loss to Canterbury that he was disappointed by the news but said he could understand Griffin’s decision as Sullivan and Amone were "special" talents.
"The club and Hook have gone with that direction and I can totally understand that," Norman said.
"That’s football and we have got two young kids coming through, and it is good to see.

Match Highlights: Bulldogs v Dragons

"Obviously, we are seeing Junior [Amone] getting drip-fed [into first grade] and when Bud [Sullivan] can stay injury-free we will probably see him getting a run too."

Amone, who debuted earlier this season on the same weekend he starred for the Illawarra Steelers in the SG Ball grand final, received 10 minutes from the interchange in his fifth NRL match against the Bulldogs, while Sullivan has been sidelined for most of 2021 with a hamstring injury.

The pair were the halves in the Steelers team which won the 2019 SG Ball grand final and also included the Feagai twins, Max and Mat, and promising fullback Tyrell Sloan.

Norman places a kick for Wiliame

Norman places a kick for Wiliame

"We have got two young kids here who are pretty special so I was getting that feeling anyway," Norman said of Griffin’s decision. "It is halfway through the year now and nothing had really popped up yet.
"If that is the direction they want to go in I will just cop it on the chin and enjoy the rest of the year with the boys and the coaching staff, and see what happens from there."
The 30-year-old five-eighth said he was open to playing anywhere next season to continue his career.
"If we are going well at the back end of the year it will sort itself out," he said. "Hopefully we don’t toss up any more games like that.

"We are all disappointed and we all know we didn’t put in what we need to today. We are just all embarrassed."
Griffin said he notified Norman of the club's decision last week, just a fortnight after the Dragons told Dufty he wasn't in their plans for next season.

Dufty and Norman were below their best in the 22-point defeat at Stadium Australia but Griffin added the uncertainty around their futures shouldn't affect their efforts this season.
"We had to make a decision on Corey and gave it a lot of thought," Griffin said.
"We've got some good young halves coming through. He understood and we move forward.
"Every [decision] is a hard one. [Matt] Dufty was a hard decision to make. He's played for this club his whole life, [but] it's what we think is the best interests for the club moving forward.
"To build a list that can bring us sustained success. They're not easy decisions. That's just up to the person themselves when you tell them [as to how they respond on the field].

Illusion

Bench

Hunt to 9

TruSaint

Referee
Happy to see Norman moving on, but heck we have bigger issues than one or two players.

Who stood out after the halftime break yesterday ? Where are our so called leaders?

It wasn't that we lost. Heck, we follow Saints. A decade of failure to learn by. It's the manner again by which we lost.

Without a point in a half of footy against a side that "usually" leaks points for fun.

Norman and Dufty are rightly criticised, but they were not alone.

Illusion

Bench
Happy to see Norman moving on, but heck we have bigger issues than one or two players.

Who stood out after the halftime break yesterday ? Where are our so called leaders?

It wasn't that we lost. Heck, we follow Saints. A decade of failure to learn by. It's the manner again by which we lost.

Without a point in a half of footy against a side that "usually" leaks points for fun.

Norman and Dufty are rightly criticised, but they were not alone.
Mate I'm not sure Hook is a great coach or the answer for us to win a title , but I know the whole joint needs a clean out ..... I am not liking the style of football Hook has them playing , too flat too much across field , Need some new blood other than players in the Dragons Footy system , Need a crafty 7 Hunt to 9 and a good all round 1 .....

TruSaint

Referee
Mate I'm not sure Hook is a great coach or the answer for us to win a title , but I know the whole joint needs a clean out ..... I am not liking the style of football Hook has them playing , too flat too much across field , Need some new blood other than players in the Dragons Footy system , Need a crafty 7 Hunt to 9 and a good all round 1 .....

Yeah you're correct.

The game was there to be won at 6-8. Decent teams put a poor half behind them, and their leaders take control.

Jury is out on the coach, and he has the benefit of the doubt at this stage. He has what's left of this season and next to make core changes. Not just roster, but attitude.

Norman has a bit of class even . . if it's not always shown on the field.

Punting him and Dufty won't solve our ills and the continued focus on them hides others who are taking salary cap space under false pretences and while our hopes may be pinned on upcoming talent giving tham 5 and 10 minutes occasionally and being named 18th man isn't going to get them there hey!!

Lindsay Moss

Juniors
Norman has a bit of class even . . if it's not always shown on the field.

Punting him and Dufty won't solve our ills and the continued focus on them hides others who are taking salary cap space under false pretences and while our hopes may be pinned on upcoming talent giving tham 5 and 10 minutes occasionally and being named 18th man isn't going to get them there hey!!
Norman i always thought was a waste of 800k until yesterday i wanted the club to keep dufty but yesterday i could see why hook wants to get rid of him so bad in defence that try from marshall king was enough for me.

possm

Coach
Surely it is not a surprise that the Club is letting Norman and Dufty go. There are plenty of five-eights out there right now however, I feel sure that Hook will play Sullivan and Amone at 6 next season. So, no Johnston, Milford, or any of the others being spoken about.

As for fullback, again I feel absolutely sure Hook with continue with Ramsey and also test Sloan at fullback to see how each of them performs. So, where will the dollars be spent? It has to be in the forwards. Not sure who Griffins targets are but let's hope they are a big improvement of what we have.
8. Lawrie is a forum favorite.
McCullough is making 60 tackles a day.
Vaughan is the best forward on the field.

Last edited:

Latest posts