What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

siv

First Grade
Guess we can build the big stadiums in the meantime and play games at Pratten Park, Redfern, Trumper Park, Bankstown Oval and Sutherland Oval

Diesel

Referee
If games are cancelled, I doubt the NRL pays compensation but do clubs or the NRL itself take out insurance for cases of games cancelled and no income to clubs? Some clubs might struggle to get past 2020

Knight76

Juniors
3000 people die of flu every year in Australia, maybe we should have precautions every season?

According to an article I was reading today, specifically debunking the comparison between Covid-19 and Influenza. Influenza mortality rate is about 0.1%. Covid-19 is expected to fall between 1-3% in western nations with good healthcare.

Low range infection expectation for Australia is apparently 20%. High range I believe was 40% - 60%. 20mil (to make the numbers easy) in Australia puts deaths in Australia at 40,000 - 120,000 for low range infections, and anywhere from 80,000 - 360,000 deaths at the higher infection range.

Flu at the same higher range would have killed 12,000 at the highest range, highest mortality rate.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
According to an article I was reading today, specifically debunking the comparison between Covid-19 and Influenza. Influenza mortality rate is about 0.1%. Covid-19 is expected to fall between 1-3% in western nations with good healthcare.
That 1-3% is the current mortality rate - 1% outside China and 3% inside China. Where are your figures from to justify such a huge death toll? :thinking:

Dogs Of War

Coach
The NRL loves a knee jerk reaction. And, I don't know that they will have a choice anyway. Can the gov order a shutdown of sporting events etc?

You'd think they wouldn't shut the events down. Rather play in front on empty stadiums. As they really need the populace entertained if we are all stuck at home.

Dogs Of War

Coach
That 1-3% is the current mortality rate - 1% outside China and 3% inside China. Where are your figures from to justify such a huge death toll? :thinking:

The Iran death rate is around 7%. That may be due to how they have managed the virus though and that their medical is not equipped due to sanctions against the country.

Though there would be other countries like India and nearly all of Africa who would fall into a similar boat. Thus worldwide it would be higher than it would be in developed countries which can manage the risk better

Knight76

Juniors

Maths?

I gave ranges for low infection percentage and the 1-3% mortality rate, as well as higher infection percentage and the 1-3% mortality rate.

Point of the post is that this is worse than Influenza.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Maths?

I gave ranges for low infection percentage and the 1-3% mortality rate, as well as higher infection percentage and the 1-3% mortality rate.

Point of the post is that this is worse than Influenza.
I'm not sure making generalised statements like that actually are helpful though? Like as per @Dogs Of War's post below, mortality rates will vary greatly between developed and less developed countries and indeed where infection rates are high and low. Saying "this is worse than influenza" is a really difficult thing to prove. It's far more complex than that.
The Iran death rate is around 7%. That may be due to how they have managed the virus though and that their medical is not equipped due to sanctions against the country.

Though there would be other countries like India and nearly all of Africa who would fall into a similar boat. Thus worldwide it would be higher than it would be in developed countries which can manage the risk better

10$ Ferret

Staff member
If the media Flu has any effect on he NRL then it just proves the world is an absolute joke.

BTW who are these idiots stocking up on toilet paper. Its a catch 22 I getting the shits with these morons but I can't because I can't get any TP

Quicksilver

Bench
If the media Flu has any effect on he NRL then it just proves the world is an absolute joke.

BTW who are these idiots stocking up on toilet paper. Its a catch 22 I getting the shits with these morons but I can't because I can't get any TP

It’s political correctness gone mad!!!!!!

Knight Vision

First Grade
3000 people die of flu every year in Australia, maybe we should have precautions every season?
1 in 17 chance of dying from an accident, 1 in 68 chance of being poisoned, 34% chance of getting cancer, 30% chance of getting cardiovascular disease, 8,000 fatalities per year from the kissing bug parasite......an estimated 1.16 million children dead of starvation and water related illnesses since the start of the coronavirus outbreak.

2% chance of dying from a bad flu?......"honey lets go and stock up on toilet paper" ....talk about shit for brains.

Knight Vision

First Grade

Though there would be other countries like India and nearly all of Africa who would fall into a similar boat.
Thus worldwide it would be higher than it would be in developed countries which can manage the risk better
Also general health of the population. 30% of the planet are obese. 12% are dying of starvation.

Quicksilver

Bench
1 in 17 chance of dying from an accident, 1 in 68 chance of being poisoned, 34% chance of getting cancer, 30% chance of getting cardiovascular disease, 8,000 fatalities per year from the kissing bug parasite......an estimated 1.16 million children dead of starvation and water related illnesses since the start of the coronavirus outbreak.

2% chance of dying from a bad flu?......"honey lets go and stock up on toilet paper" ....talk about shit for brains.

I’m supposing those figures are over a lifetime, not a specific couple of months as the result of the spread of a fairly infectious virus.

typicalfan

Coach
I’m supposing those figures are over a lifetime, not a specific couple of months as the result of the spread of a fairly infectious virus.
Plus you can't contract cancer or cardio disease from someone else. 2% which is possibly a massive lowball considering the doubts on the accuracy of information might not sound like much but 1/50 you die aren't exactly fantastic odds.

Not justifying going out and getting months worth of TP but it should still be treated with caution.

Latest posts