What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

Diesel

Referee
Does anyone know if there is a twilight GF this year as the GF isn’t held on a long weekend this year?

Silent Knight

First Grade
Does anyone know if there is a twilight GF this year as the GF isn’t held on a long weekend this year?

I predict that between now and then PVL will grab Skid in a headlock and say “listen here my whiney lil’ friend we’re going back to afternoon grand finals for the fans. If that Mexican flogball can have a daylight grand final, we can too.”

t-ba

Post Whore
I predict that between now and then PVL will grab Skid in a headlock and say “listen here my whiney lil’ friend we’re going back to afternoon grand finals for the fans. If that Mexican flogball can have a daylight grand final, we can too.”

Hope he flushes that f**kface's head in the toilet and gives him a wedgie.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Great news.

On this, I thought it would have been a perfect time for the Rabbitohs to play a home game at Redfern oval, while there are limitations on crowd numbers. It would be an absolute nostagia-fest, and an opportunity they’ll never get again - unless Wuhan decides to spread the love again.
The whole point is being able to fit as many people in as possible. Given Redfern's capacity of 5,000, only 1250 would be able to attend.

Meanwhile if they shift to ANZ, they can get 10k in no worries.

t-ba

Post Whore
Besides, Redfern Oval has more important things going on, such as Old Chinese Aunty Square Dancing.

The whole point is being able to fit as many people in as possible. Given Redfern's capacity of 5,000, only 1250 would be able to attend.

Meanwhile if they shift to ANZ, they can get 10k in no worries.

I get that...

But while crowds were banned, and recently restricted, this was the perfect time to have a game there before the crowds are allowed back in significant numbers. Otherwise yes, it’s too late.

Pommy

Coach
I get that...

But while crowds were banned, and recently restricted, this was the perfect time to have a game there before the crowds are allowed back in significant numbers. Otherwise yes, it’s too late.

Not really. Redfern oval isn’t designed for TV and all the extra work would need to go in to getting it set up is only more chances to spread Covid.
Redfern is gone no top level sport should be playing games at a place like that.

Not really. Redfern oval isn’t designed for TV and all the extra work would need to go in to getting it set up is only more chances to spread Covid.
Redfern is gone no top level sport should be playing games at a place like that.

Huh?

With no crowds it would have been fine and the playing surface is immaculate. As for TV/Cameras risk spreading Covid, unsure what you mean there..

The only thing they’d need to have taken precautions on is security (entries off streets) and visibility into the ground.

Anyway if there was an opportunity that ship has sadly sailed now.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Huh?

With no crowds it would have been fine and the playing surface is immaculate. As for TV/Cameras risk spreading Covid, unsure what you mean there..

The only thing they’d need to have taken precautions on is security (entries off streets) and visibility into the ground.

Anyway if there was an opportunity that ship has sadly sailed now.
TV cameras would need to be set up, platforms built etc etc - more staff than would be needed for a game at an existing venue where those facilities are already catered for and can remain in place unimpeded. The whole concept of only playing at 3 venues in NSW was to limit the need for multiple pack up and pack downs.

TV cameras would need to be set up, platforms built etc etc - more staff than would be needed for a game at an existing venue where those facilities are already catered for and can remain in place unimpeded. The whole concept of only playing at 3 venues in NSW was to limit the need for multiple pack up and pack downs.

The way I see it..

There is (was) an opportunity for a foundation club of the NRL to play a game at its “spiritual home” for the first time in over 30 years, which would also be the first time a game has been played in their heartland over the same time (SFS/SCG arguably in the Eastern Suburbs).

No other club in the league does not play games in their area apart from South Sydney. This again was the one opportunity to make it happen.

I get cost savings are a big factor in the current climate. The only extra cost of significance I see would be securing the ground from outside interference.

The wages of TV broadcast staff would remain the same, I don’t think you need extra staff here. You don’t need anything apart from 2/3 cameras in the grandstand and one on the ground at each corner. All others are superfluous / “nice to haves” (such as high in the sky behind the goal line), wouldn’t be necessary.

Playing the Gold Coast last week was the perfect opportunity to do this. An otherwise bog-standard NRL game played in parramatta, could have been a historic return to Redfern garnering enormous interest from not just Rabbits fans but the entire rugby league public. Absolutely no doubt viewership would been far, far greater if played at Redfern - which would have given an opportunity to gain extra income from advertising (on/off ground) which would help offset (maybe even supersede) the extra set up costs. They could have arranged to play there on FTA also..

I absolutely think this would have been a promotional dream and historic moment for a foundation club which would be looked at in years to come as a proud / pinnacle moment for the sport in such tough times.

Vlandys is the kind of guy who finds a way to make things happen, not find ways to the “too hard basket”. I could understand if it physically or legally not possible so as to comply with any government conditions to allow league being played. But otherwise I see no reason it could’ve have gone ahead if someone like him was driving it.

But alas it’s not to be. Im not a bunnies supporter but I support the NRL as a whole and personally would have loved watching a game such as that. (Not hard given what I’ve seen my own team dish out this year I suppose).

Anyway - let’s carry on.

Parra

Referee
The way I see it..

There is (was) an opportunity for a foundation club of the NRL to play a game at its “spiritual home” for the first time in over 30 years, which would also be the first time a game has been played in their heartland over the same time (SFS/SCG arguably in the Eastern Suburbs).

No other club in the league does not play games in their area apart from South Sydney. This again was the one opportunity to make it happen.

I get cost savings are a big factor in the current climate. The only extra cost of significance I see would be securing the ground from outside interference.

The wages of TV broadcast staff would remain the same, I don’t think you need extra staff here. You don’t need anything apart from 2/3 cameras in the grandstand and one on the ground at each corner. All others are superfluous / “nice to haves” (such as high in the sky behind the goal line), wouldn’t be necessary.

Playing the Gold Coast last week was the perfect opportunity to do this. An otherwise bog-standard NRL game played in parramatta, could have been a historic return to Redfern garnering enormous interest from not just Rabbits fans but the entire rugby league public. Absolutely no doubt viewership would been far, far greater if played at Redfern - which would have given an opportunity to gain extra income from advertising (on/off ground) which would help offset (maybe even supersede) the extra set up costs. They could have arranged to play there on FTA also..

I absolutely think this would have been a promotional dream and historic moment for a foundation club which would be looked at in years to come as a proud / pinnacle moment for the sport in such tough times.

Vlandys is the kind of guy who finds a way to make things happen, not find ways to the “too hard basket”. I could understand if it physically or legally not possible so as to comply with any government conditions to allow league being played. But otherwise I see no reason it could’ve have gone ahead if someone like him was driving it.

But alas it’s not to be. Im not a bunnies supporter but I support the NRL as a whole and personally would have loved watching a game such as that. (Not hard given what I’ve seen my own team dish out this year I suppose).

Anyway - let’s carry on.

Could use the skinny pads, cardboard corner posts and the half time bell.

Pommy

Coach
The way I see it..

Anyway - let’s carry on.

You might think those cameras aren't needed but broadcasters do. I am a bunnies fan and I think it’s a stupid idea.
Also they have played pre season games there fairly recently.

Last edited:
You might think those cameras aren't needed but broadcasters do. I am a bunnies fan and I think it’s a stupid idea.
Also they have played pre season games there fairly recently.

They don’t use/need then when they take games to Dubbo, Mudgee, and the regional games. Are you thereby saying these regional games are stupid too?

Pommy

Coach
They don’t use/need then when they take games to Dubbo, Mudgee, and the regional games. Are you thereby saying these regional games are stupid too?

I thought teams were supposed to be playing in local areas?
I don’t think I’ve seen a regional game on a field as lacking facilities as Redfern, also I bet when those games are on they build scaffolding etc to put the cameras on. I don’t think you can compare these games to what you were suggesting.

Parra

Referee
The irony if all the Sydney teams start utilising ANZ for games to maximise crowds.

Who would turn up? Nothing worse than a small crowd and footy off in the distance at that white elephant.

NRL has done very well with the grounds they are using.