What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

Grapple

Bench
Yeah I know….

They are more stringent but that also makes them more secure..

Perhaps not the volume of 8 teams in a finals series… but two team plus broadcasters / refs etc could be more manageable for a GF.

And from memory they have been playing Union in front of full crowds etc?

It’s just food for thought…

more secure = more isolated. It's a pay off. We are an agriculture and tourist economy. Out PM doesn't like either. But at least we are safe. Right now, can't argue against that.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Apparently the horse racing is still going on in Brisbane today.

The thing that doesn't make sense to me is if the Qld government was serious, than the lockdown would be immediate not starting at a time in the future (4pm).

This lockdown is just for show.
Obviously not as serious as Gladys.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member

The thing that doesn't make sense to me is if the Qld government was serious, than the lockdown would be immediate not starting at a time in the future (4pm).

- horse racing is a non contact sport. it ran right through the original wave if I remember correctly.
- i believe the meet wraps up by 4pm?

As for "it would be immediate", no Australian jurisidiction has done an 'immediate lockdown' to the best of my knowledge.

It has to be at a time in the near future (usually 4pm, 6pm or midnight) to allow health orders to come into effect etc.

It's not for show either. Delta f**ks shit up - see: Sydney.

I’ve been caught up in border closures that have been set a time / not immediate..

The main reason it’s not immediate is to actually give people the legitimate chance to make plans at short notice to get where they need to be or do what they need to complete in an “orderly” way. Also to give authorities notice to set up what they need to do. Immediate lockdown can instigate panic too… which spells trouble ..

more secure = more isolated. It's a pay off. We are an agriculture and tourist economy. Out PM doesn't like either. But at least we are safe. Right now, can't argue against that.
I’ve got family over your way. They’ve given me good insights.

Being island nations has been very fortunate for both countries in the last year, but we’ve come unstuck in a pretty big way.

I trust you guys keep it tight over there.

Mr Spock!

Referee
The virus is not deadly at all. I suppose it depends on what you define as deadly but over 99% of people who catch the disease recover. Hence, it can be safely said that there are far more disease out there that are more fatal than Covid. What is happening is that many Australian's are being brainwashed by hyperbolic rhetoric of the government and the media. You just have to look at all the "trigger" words that have become part of the pandemic vernacular as evident of this.

The government is taking an overtly cautious and unrealistic approach to managing this situation. While I do not necessarily agree with lockdown protestors, the point must be understood that stay under lockdown for ever is completely unrealistic. Other countries are learning to live with the virus. For instance, Britain is opening up as all their at risk individuals have been administered the vaccination. Ideally, we should be doing the same!
Is that you, Alan?

- horse racing is a non contact sport. it ran right through the original wave if I remember correctly.
- i believe the meet wraps up by 4pm?

As for "it would be immediate", no Australian jurisidiction has done an 'immediate lockdown' to the best of my knowledge.

It has to be at a time in the near future (usually 4pm, 6pm or midnight) to allow health orders to come into effect etc.

It's not for show either. Delta f**ks shit up - see: Sydney.
IMO, it is for show.
They have an excuse for a lockdown. A family of five (and the girls tutor) have Covid-19. That is all. But the precautions we are taking at the moment, significantly more then what Sydney were doing, means the chances of a breakout are actually quite small. Of course, if we get more cases the next few days that could change things. However, based of previous lockdowns, including one with the Delta variant, the precautions we are taking now are enough to limit the spread to the virus.

That 'massive problem' was contained really well.
That is the point, if Covid19 was spreading, than the whole state would have been affected because there was a mass exodus of people out of Brisbane. Fortunately, Covid-19 was already contained and there wasn't a need to panic the people.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I’m not crazy…. And I’m not so sure that this wouldn’t be considered….

Crazier things have happened in the world in the last few years… and in rugby league - eg who’d have thought origin games would be played in Townsville and the Gold Coast..

The NRL may put it up for bid… then you’ll see what other cities here could want it.

But NZ seem to have a far, far better handle on Covid than Oz. That could come right into play. Naturally to even consider it there’d need to be watertight protection protocols and the like… Govt agreement etc.. testing, quarantine, the whole box and dice

But I’m not ruling out the event that Rugby league might return to NZ after two years…

When we watch the Storm play someone in the grand final…
You shouldn't be affected by any of this though as you're not watching games.

Mr Spock!

Referee
But they didn't have to back then. That is why there was a mass exodus. Get out of Brisbane before 6pm
Yes they did. A 3 lockdown is to give the government time to manage the outbreak and assess it.

Case in point my daughter in camp in a lockdown area is now leaving to come home and isolate.

You cannot have people away from their homes for indefinite periods.

Yes they did. A 3 lockdown is to give the government time to manage the outbreak and assess it.

Case in point my daughter in camp in a lockdown area is now leaving to come home and isolate.

You cannot have people away from their homes for indefinite periods.

They might have changed things now, but I had work colleagues intentionally leave the lockdown area before the mandated lockdown time so they didn't have to lockdown.