What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member

NRL stars unite to tackle vaccine campaign
Troy Whittaker
NRL.com Reporter
Fri 20 Aug 2021, 07:20 PM

Family and fans are two reasons why Dragons captain Ben Hunt is among a host of NRL and NRLW stars behind a campaign to get Australia vaccinated against COVID-19.

Some of the game's biggest names including Hunt, Nathan Cleary, Wade Graham, Damien Cook and Christian Welch have outlined their motivations for having the jab and encouraged fans to join them.

Working alongside the Australian government, the NRL's Let's Tackle This Together campaign will be seen and heard on television, radio and social media after being launched on Friday night.

Many players and staff have lent their profiles to the cause in an effort to control COVID-19, especially in areas of concern.

For Hunt, who has two young sons, protecting his loved ones is at the forefront of his decision to be vaccinated after the NRL season.

"Personally, I thought it was very important that we get the message across. As elite athletes, we can use our profile to encourage people to go and get the jab," the halfback told NRL.com.

"It's very important for our game that as many people as we can get [vaccinated] and we can get our game going back to normal."

With the competition heading to Queensland in July to escape Sydney's COVID-19 outbreak, Hunt was away from his kids and wife Bridget for several weeks before they completed a quarantine.

"It's been a strange time obviously having to move up to Queensland and be away from my boys for a period of time," Hunt said.

"I always want them to be safe and I think going forward, this [vaccination] is the safest way possible.

"My wife had to bring them up and go into lockdown as well. It was a bit of a challenge, but all things we had to get through to be together."

Hunt is keen for travel to open up so he can get together with relatives who he hasn't seen since Christmas due to restrictions.

"Most of my family are all in Queensland, so it'd be a good opportunity once the season's over to catch up with them," he said.

And the Maroons representative is calling on fans to get immunised so everyone can once again experience the buzz of a huge crowd.

"We love playing in front of packed stadiums and I know the fans love getting to games," the 31-year-old added.

"I think the way forward to keep that rolling on is to get the country vaccinated - [after that] there's never going to be lockouts and playing in front of stadiums with no crowds again."

Panthers ace Cleary said he will get vaccinated "because I want to go back to spending time with my family and friends".

In the words of Storm front-rower Welch, "it’s our quickest path back to normality and to keep our community safe".

And Broncos veteran Ben Te'o intends to "set an example for my children, protect my family, my community and do my bit".

Hunt also places importance on the resumption of junior sport.

"To me, that's what rugby league is all about as a kid - just getting out there and playing with your mates, having fun and just being in that team environment," he said.

"I think it's really big for kids and juniors to be in that as they're growing up and I think the sooner we can get back to playing some junior sports, the better."

The St George Illawarra skipper has a "clear message" for anyone still undecided about being inoculated against the virus.

"Think about the ones you love and do it for them," he said.

"You want to see them, you want to look after them, protect them and this is the way forward."

The campaign includes a variety of club representatives including Knights coach Adam O'Brien, Raiders leader Elliott Whitehead, Sea Eagles lock Jake Trbojevic, Cowboys speedster Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow and Eels NRLW signing Kennedy Cherrington.

Canterbury's Kyle Flanagan, Corey Waddell and Joe Stimson, Gold Coast's Jarrod Wallace, Manly's Lachlan Croker and Taniela Paseka, Melbourne's Chris Lewis, Parramatta's Isaiah Papali'i, Wests Tiger Luke Garner and Newcastle legend Danny Buderus also feature.

For more information about the vaccine and your eligibility to receive one, head to australia.gov.au.

AnonymousLurker

Juniors

so will politis sack any players who refuse to be jabbed or the roosters refuse and forfeit to play against opposition who are not vaxxed - by The time we play next year - we would have reached 80% vax rates as a minimum so why does he give a duck who is jabbed or not

so will politis sack any players who refuse to be jabbed or the roosters refuse and forfeit to play against opposition who are not vaxxed - by The time we play next year - we would have reached 80% vax rates as a minimum so why does he give a duck who is jabbed or not

Proves you didn't read even the article numb nuts. The Roosters are considering banning un-vaxxed fans from attending Roosters home games (which would also include fans of the opposing clubs).

Last edited:

Valheru

Coach
Proves you didn't read even he article numb nuts. The Roosters are considering banning un-vaxxed fans from attending Roosters home games (which would also include fans of the opposing clubs).

I doubt this is actually feasible.

Say we open the new stadium in front of 40k against souths. Who is going to triage every fan at the gate? What evidence will they accept for a medical exemption?

Seems a bit pie in the sky for me.

some11

Referee

NRL stars unite to tackle vaccine campaign
Troy Whittaker
NRL.com Reporter
Fri 20 Aug 2021, 07:20 PM

Family and fans are two reasons why Dragons captain Ben Hunt is among a host of NRL and NRLW stars behind a campaign to get Australia vaccinated against COVID-19.

Some of the game's biggest names including Hunt, Nathan Cleary, Wade Graham, Damien Cook and Christian Welch have outlined their motivations for having the jab and encouraged fans to join them.

Working alongside the Australian government, the NRL's Let's Tackle This Together campaign will be seen and heard on television, radio and social media after being launched on Friday night.

Many players and staff have lent their profiles to the cause in an effort to control COVID-19, especially in areas of concern.

For Hunt, who has two young sons, protecting his loved ones is at the forefront of his decision to be vaccinated after the NRL season.

"Personally, I thought it was very important that we get the message across. As elite athletes, we can use our profile to encourage people to go and get the jab," the halfback told NRL.com.

"It's very important for our game that as many people as we can get [vaccinated] and we can get our game going back to normal."

With the competition heading to Queensland in July to escape Sydney's COVID-19 outbreak, Hunt was away from his kids and wife Bridget for several weeks before they completed a quarantine.

"It's been a strange time obviously having to move up to Queensland and be away from my boys for a period of time," Hunt said.

"I always want them to be safe and I think going forward, this [vaccination] is the safest way possible.

"My wife had to bring them up and go into lockdown as well. It was a bit of a challenge, but all things we had to get through to be together."

Hunt is keen for travel to open up so he can get together with relatives who he hasn't seen since Christmas due to restrictions.

"Most of my family are all in Queensland, so it'd be a good opportunity once the season's over to catch up with them," he said.

And the Maroons representative is calling on fans to get immunised so everyone can once again experience the buzz of a huge crowd.

"We love playing in front of packed stadiums and I know the fans love getting to games," the 31-year-old added.

"I think the way forward to keep that rolling on is to get the country vaccinated - [after that] there's never going to be lockouts and playing in front of stadiums with no crowds again."

Panthers ace Cleary said he will get vaccinated "because I want to go back to spending time with my family and friends".

In the words of Storm front-rower Welch, "it’s our quickest path back to normality and to keep our community safe".

And Broncos veteran Ben Te'o intends to "set an example for my children, protect my family, my community and do my bit".

Hunt also places importance on the resumption of junior sport.

"To me, that's what rugby league is all about as a kid - just getting out there and playing with your mates, having fun and just being in that team environment," he said.

"I think it's really big for kids and juniors to be in that as they're growing up and I think the sooner we can get back to playing some junior sports, the better."

The St George Illawarra skipper has a "clear message" for anyone still undecided about being inoculated against the virus.

"Think about the ones you love and do it for them," he said.

"You want to see them, you want to look after them, protect them and this is the way forward."

The campaign includes a variety of club representatives including Knights coach Adam O'Brien, Raiders leader Elliott Whitehead, Sea Eagles lock Jake Trbojevic, Cowboys speedster Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow and Eels NRLW signing Kennedy Cherrington.

Canterbury's Kyle Flanagan, Corey Waddell and Joe Stimson, Gold Coast's Jarrod Wallace, Manly's Lachlan Croker and Taniela Paseka, Melbourne's Chris Lewis, Parramatta's Isaiah Papali'i, Wests Tiger Luke Garner and Newcastle legend Danny Buderus also feature.

For more information about the vaccine and your eligibility to receive one, head to australia.gov.au.
Personally I can't wait until we know which players refuse to get it like the bitches who were against the flu shot last year.

AnonymousLurker

Juniors
Proves you didn't read even the article numb nuts. The Roosters are considering banning un-vaxxed fans from attending Roosters home games (which would also include fans of the opposing clubs).

‘well numbs nuts proves you didn’t read my post, as it was about unvaxxed players and not the fans

I doubt this is actually feasible.

Say we open the new stadium in front of 40k against souths. Who is going to triage every fan at the gate? What evidence will they accept for a medical exemption?

Seems a bit pie in the sky for me.

Mate it is being discussed by Venues NSW already. Can't prove you're vaccinated, then no admission.

moffla

Bench
The one advantage of lagging behind the rest of the world when it comes to vaccinations and re-opebning, we can take lessons from what works and what doesn't. I'm not against a no jab no entry policy, but it has the potential to be a clusterf**k unless done properly.