What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cory Paterson's confidence on rise again after drought broken

Pumba

First Grade
Cory Paterson's confidence on rise again after drought broken
BY ROBERT DILLON

THE smile on Cory Paterson's face said it all.

The towering Newcastle forward had more cause than most to savour Newcastle's season-salvaging 26-14 triumph against Melbourne on Monday night.

It was his first win since round six when the Knights beat the Dragons or 121 days to be precise.

The 22-year-old back-rower announced on April 24 that he was suffering from clinical depression and had been advised to stand down so he could receive treatment.

He did not return until July 4, and his first three games after launching his comeback resulted in losses to the Storm, Manly and the Roosters.

Struggling for confidence, he was elevated to Newcastle's starting side on Monday night and showed some much-welcome glimpses of the attacking skill and bruising defence that had many tipping him as a NSW Origin bolter earlier in the season.

"It was a case of me wanting to start contributing for the team," Paterson said.

"It was just personal.

"I haven't had the greatest year and I need to turn it around, so I thought I better pull my finger out."

The 2008 Prime Minister's XIII representative said Monday's result had helped restore his self-belief.

He revealed a pre-match dinner with Knights legends Paul Harragon, Tony Butterfield, Mark Hughes and Marc Glanville put him in the mood for a big performance.

"I took a lot out of the dinner with the Old Boys, listening to guys like Chief," he said.

"It hit home pretty strongly that I'm playing not just for myself, but for the town and everyone.

"I just really wanted to go out and have a big game."

Paterson vowed to keep improving and be in peak form for the play-offs.

Knights coach Rick Stone was delighted with Paterson's return to form and was hopeful he could give Newcastle some extra impact in the big games ahead.

"Pato has obviously been dealing with a few issues for a decent period now and he hasn't played much footy," Stone said yesterday.

"Any footy he plays and the team has a win, he's going to take some confidence out of that.

"Definitely he would have done that on Monday night.

"I'd still like him to get a little bit more involved, and we'll speak about that.

"But it was a tremendous boost to his confidence and I'm sure he'll get plenty out of it."

Paterson has been named as Newcastle's 18th man for Saturday night's clash with North Queensland, but he is likely to play if prop Danny Wicks is ruled out with a sternum injury.

Herald

perverse

Referee
it was great to see the huge smile on patos face after the game. could barely contain himself.

Frederick

Staff member
Drop Wes, keep wicks and put pato on the bench

Last edited by a moderator:

MC DUI

Juniors
Pato had a great game the other night, will be an absolute joke if he doesn't make the side for tomorrow nights game.

He offers much more than either Wes or Karawana, but I'd be dropping Wes.

You can understand though not like it Wes being there to cover for injuries but in what world is Karawana picked ahead of Patterson? Honestly I'll worry about Stone if Patto aint in the 17 somewhere.

Big Tim

First Grade
If Pato is there you do exactly what was done before when we had a real bench - move Pato to Centre and move a centre out wide.

I would actually put Dodge out there and run with Mullo, Kurt and De Gois doing the halves work.

Hanscholo

Bench
I believe in Corey Patterson. Next season I want to see him starting games and playing a lot of minutes. There is far too much softly softly in the NRL for young players these days. The only way for the young blokes to toughen up and get some form is game time, and doing that from a disjointed bench role to me, for someone as talented as Patterson is a waste. You only need to look at Dave Taylor for the Broncos, who has a lot in common with Corey. Dave struggled for form and fitness and drifted in and out of the side, eventually signing with another club. Low and behold they just give the bloke some extended game time and he is fit, firing and a lot of the little problems in his game are disappearing.

Last edited:

Hanscholo

Bench
You can understand though not like it Wes being there to cover for injuries but in what world is Karawana picked ahead of Patterson? Honestly I'll worry about Stone if Patto aint in the 17 somewhere.

Wes covering for people is a myth. The bloke doesnt concentrate, takes 50 mins to get into the game. Sure he can defend well in the line at centre and can back up gidleys goal kicking but the rest of his efforts are just a bust. If you want to be slotting players around because of injuries, the four guys you shuffle around are Taia, Houston, Lulia and Hilder...all of whom can play other positions and fill gaps when needed. Carrying a centre, with the kind of glaring faults Wes has is not wise imo.

A centre or winger gets injured you shift Taia or Hilder to the centres and move whoever to suite. I much prefer Taia in the backline than Wes.

Last edited:

K-Man

Bench
I believe in Corey Patterson. Next season I want to see him starting games and playing a lot of minutes. There is far too much softly softly in the NRL for young players these days. The only way for the young blokes to toughen up and get some form is game time, and doing that from a disjointed bench role to me, for someone as talented as Patterson is a waste. You only need to look at Dave Taylor for the Broncos, who has a lot in common with Corey. Dave struggled for form and fitness and drifted in and out of the side, eventually signing with another club. Low and behold they just give the bloke some extended game time and he is fit, firing and a lot of the little problems in his game are disappearing.

Very good example. I completelyy agree. The deep end is not always as dangerous as it sounds; sometimes you just have to throw them in and wait for the rewards.

Latest posts