What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cory to sit out season?

Pumba

First Grade
PROMISING Newcastle Knights secondrower Cory Paterson is the latest sports star to go public with his battle with depression.

The 21-year-old backrower is fronting a media conference at 4pm today to reveal the full extent of his health problems.

Rated one of the outstanding young crop of forwards coming through the NRL, Paterson signed a new three year deal with the Knights earlier in the year after being heavily chased by three rival clubs.

Daily Telegraph

Sad news. All the best Pato :(

roopy

Referee
Just saw bits of this, but he hasn't said he will miss games for sure, and it is quite possible that staying in training will help with his depression.
Treatment for depression is a very individual thing, but as a rule, the more you can keep up your life the better.
An injury might be disasterous for him though, so maybe the best thing would be to just keep him training and have him sit out games till he is on top of things.

antonius

Coach
Just saw a snippet on NBN 3 He said he's been battling it for 2 months and is only a week to week proposition of playing. I assume from that he isn't completely standing down, full details will be on later. Knew there was something amiss, he hasn'y been himself all season. Good luck with it Cory, hope it all works out for you.

Hanscholo

Bench
Sad news for the big guy. I had an incling something was not right with him but I thought it was physical. All the best to him, and i'm glad the club is behind him and has handled this well given our past.

Karmawave

Bench
Above all else, what a fine human Corey must be to have the strength to admit his problems and even beyond that, to actively seek help to overcome them in such a public way.

Credit has to go to the bloke, as he has done an incredible thing today.

It is not easy what he is going through, and he has done everything today to show what a fine, strong, committed man he must be.

Good on you Patto , and all the best for battling the illness. It won't be easy, but with the amazing attitude you have, I am sure we'll see you in Knights colours again sooner rather than later.

Also, big credit to the club ( and Burro ) for the way they have handled this too.

roopy

Referee
Sad news for the big guy. I had an incling something was not right with him but I thought it was physical. All the best to him, and i'm glad the club is behind him and has handled this well given our past.
Our 'past' is that the club did an unbelievably good job the last time we had this problem.

perverse

Referee
all the best to cory in tackling his demons. depression isn't easy and i really hope the boys rally around him and help him through it (which i'm sure they will). he's an unbelievable talent with the world at his feet when he gets his head together.

Apey

Staff member
Very sad to hear. I wish him all the best.

Depression isn't easy.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Depression is a terrible condition to cope with, and I can't even imagine how it would be for a public figure who had tried to do it almost completely on his own. Hopefully Cory can get the help he needs and continue his promising career - for his sake, more than anybody else's.