What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Costigan can't play for PNG

expansionist

Juniors
Once again the ARL try their hardest to destroy International RL.

I am struggling for words....

Surely they should see sense..... QLD and NSW are states... not countries. Someone can easily be Papua New Guinean or a Kiwi, but also a Queenslander.

Just as Tonie Carroll, Adrian Lam etc...

gUt

Coach
I guess the test is who would Costigan choose to play for in the 4 nations if Australia wanted him?

Titanic

First Grade
In fact he should never have played for Qld. He has chosen to be a Kumul and good on him but Origin is for players wishing to play for Australia and in most people's minds he is a Kumul.

The Lam and Carroll scenario's should never again be allowed to happen nor Inglis, et al. Bring on the Commission.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

I am struggling for words....

Surely they should see sense..... QLD and NSW are states... not countries. Someone can easily be Papua New Guinean or a Kiwi, but also a Queenslander.

Just as Tonie Carroll, Adrian Lam etc...

do you have a source for this rant ?

obsulete

Juniors
He played Origin before playing for the Kumuls and had previously refused to represent PNG. It took Lam hounding him to play in the WC so technically I'd say he should never have played for the Kumuls.

BDH

Juniors

+100

In fact he should never have played for Qld. He has chosen to be a Kumul and good on him but Origin is for players wishing to play for Australia and in most people's minds he is a Kumul.

The Lam and Carroll scenario's should never again be allowed to happen nor Inglis, et al. Bring on the Commission.

How anyone can still claim Carroll should never have played Origin bewilders me. Seriously, people just don't bother to research anything. Just listen to what Channel 9 tell you guys, if it's on TV it must be true!!

Titanic

First Grade
How anyone can still claim Carroll should never have played Origin bewilders me. Seriously, people just don't bother to research anything. Just listen to what Channel 9 tell you guys, if it's on TV it must be true!!

I don't get Nine in China. Read carefully... I made no comment one way or the other about those players eligibility but about the debates that surround them.

The fact is the rules have not been enforced and no one has the balls to re-draw the line and enforce.

Repeat ... Bring on the Commission.

He played Origin before playing for the Kumuls and had previously refused to represent PNG. It took Lam hounding him to play in the WC so technically I'd say he should never have played for the Kumuls.

Totally agree but having then been allowed to play for the Kumuls surely he shouldn't be allowed to just switch back again or is there a special dispensation for playing for PNG? No, of course not, just spineless administration.

Last edited:

Springs

First Grade
He should be allowed to play for PNG and Queensland. He has stated, in Rugby League Week I think, that he would rather play for PNG over Australia. If he has played in Queensland when he was 16 then he should be allowed to play for Queensland also.

Goddo

Bench
Is he saying that just because he can't get a start in the Australian team? This is why the IRLF need to have some solid rules.

My two bob:

Origin (and Australia) can take a hit of having a few blokes unavailable if it means international comp is stronger. The NRL/IRLF just need to make internationals more attractive to players like Costigan and Hayne (maybe with game "Ambasador" money to make it more lucrative outside of the NRL cap, like the Aboriginal or Origin "ambasador" money in the NRL).

If they still want to play origin and for Australia, great, but once they pick one way or the other there should be NO switching...

bender

Juniors
Is he saying that just because he can't get a start in the Australian team? This is why the IRLF need to have some solid rules.

My two bob:

Origin (and Australia) can take a hit of having a few blokes unavailable if it means international comp is stronger. The NRL/IRLF just need to make internationals more attractive to players like Costigan and Hayne (maybe with game "Ambasador" money to make it more lucrative outside of the NRL cap, like the Aboriginal or Origin "ambasador" money in the NRL).

If they still want to play origin and for Australia, great, but once they pick one way or the other there should be NO switching...

They do have solid rules.

He is eligible for PNG only, because he played for PNG. If he wants, he can apply to be eligible for another country once in a world cup cycle, so until he actually plays for Australia, he is eligible for PNG.

Origin (quite rightly) has zero effect on international eligibility, because it is solely an ARL run concept. I hope costigan sticks with PNG and forces the ARL's hand in selecting him, like Adrian Lam did, when the ARL had arroganltly assumed he would play for Australia before PNG.

shiznit

Coach
He should be allowed to play for PNG and Queensland. He has stated, in Rugby League Week I think, that he would rather play for PNG over Australia. If he has played in Queensland when he was 16 then he should be allowed to play for Queensland also.
using that logic... Benji Marshall & SBW should have been eligible for NSW & QLD and also the Kiwis.

Springs

First Grade
using that logic... Benji Marshall & SBW should have been eligible for NSW & QLD and also the Kiwis.

So be it then.
Although I was talking about developing nations. Players like Costigan, Mead, Uate, Mateo, Jennings etc.

hutch

First Grade
sorry neville, you cant have both. make a choice and stick with it.

in saying that, i would still like png to pick him and wait to see how the rlif (arl) respond. they have seemed to make up the rules as they go along over the last 5-10 years, so it would be interesting to see them fumble their way through this.

deluded pom?

Coach

As an outsider looking in, would that be such a bad thing? If they both fulfill the criteria of playng their junior football in NSW/QL but both being born into NZ families and opting for NZ.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Origin is nothing to do with the international game. For all I care Didier Drogba could turn out for NSW, the eligibility for Origin games is a matter solely for the ARL who organise it. The fact that people sometimes infer that Origin is somehow linked to the international game sickens me.

To say Origin has nothing to do with international representation doesn't make sense. If you are from NSW or Qld you are Australian. If you choose to play for another country you are choosing to not be Australian and therefore choosing to not be from NSW or Qld. I have no problem with the two being linked. It's common sense. What needs to happen is that players have to choose and stick with their choice and at the same time more has to be done to a. persuade them to choose their nation of heritage and b. start bloody developing players from outside the western suburbs of Sydney and SE Qld FFS. Then we might see plenty of top players playing for other countries who actually have more than a passing connection to those countries.

Latest posts