What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Costigan signs

edabomb

First Grade
woodgers said:
Why would Zillman need to kick when he scores with the ball in hand so often :D . Carney can kick a ball short, you just haven't had much chance to see it because Smith takes 90% of them or some goon like Woolford attempts it.

:lol:

Carney has attempted quite a few though, and has probably only been getting results off 10-15% It would be the weakest point in his game now his defense has stepped up IMO.

woodgers

Bench
:lol: Maybe, you get a different perspective at the ground. You are desperate to nitpick anything to do with Carney, Zillman and Chalk just because they have been talked up a bit aren't you mate?

Bay56

First Grade
woodgers said:
:lol: Maybe, you get a different perspective at the ground. You are desperate to nitpick anything to do with Carney, Zillman and Chalk just because they have been talked up a bit aren't you mate?

I agree woody ...

edmeister just cant admit he might have been wrong concerning our early judgement on Carney's abilities :D

edabomb

First Grade
woodgers said:

I'm happy Carney has been brought through slower than people here were saying. Best way to bring a half through IMO. With Zillman it's a bit different, since my limited oppurtunities to see him he doesn't really seem a traditional half. More in the Benji/McLinden mould, lets hope more like the former. These players don't need to be brought through as slowly IMO, as they are not playing as a traditional half and don't need to adapt as much to first grade compared to Carney (who is more reliant on his passing/kicking game to be effective). I'd prefer to see Zilly get a go on the weekend over Smith.

As for Chalk, he is good. But he will never be great :lol:

Bay56 said:
I agree woody ...

edmeister just cant admit he might have been wrong concerning our early judgement on Carney's abilities

I don't think I ever said that, just said no point in rushing him. More to lose than gain with that approach IMO. And I guess I did say he wasn't ready in 2004, 2005 and earlier this year. He has started coming along quicker than I originaly thought though.

Can you admit he wasn't ready for first grade when he was 18-19??? Didn't think so ;-)

Raider Jack

Juniors
Why did we sign ESL players for, Dobson, from 75% of reports seems to be the only decent signing, yet they're included in starting sides for next year. Just a shame we wasted money on ESL clowns before the Costigan signing.

hrundi99

First Grade
They may or may not be clowns. Let's see some trial form before we put the collective knives in.

Macko8

Juniors
hrundi99 said:
They may or may not be clowns. Let's see some trial form before we put the collective knives in.

Exactly!!
Blokes like Dunemann and Logan maybe old and esl hicks but you cant actually judge there form on how they played in the NRL a few years back.
Smithy and Adamson are prime examples.
IMO the ESL makes players better and fulfils there potential.

Other signings like Veal Pamatangi,kelly and croc irwin may not be big names but im sure they will give it there all in the trials.
Interesting we could see a very different Raiders Round 1 2007 lineup next year.

edabomb

First Grade
Smithy and Adamson were both rep players in their NRL time though, and rep players the year they left for ESL. I agree on waiting and seeing with Logan and Dunneman, but no way they will have the impact Adamson and Smith did.

SOULS 04

Juniors
we will have a very different side... but that was always going to happen with 6 regular first graders leaving.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Marc Herbert [CNTDN] said:
Smithy and Adamson were both rep players in their NRL time though, and rep players the year they left for ESL. I agree on waiting and seeing with Logan and Dunneman, but no way they will have the impact Adamson and Smith did.

well said
Adamson was one of the most under-rated players running around at the time, a rep quality player, whilst jason smith was a QLD rep and had played for his country

Dunemann was a cowboys/souths reggie, and Logan was no more then a solid FGer

raidersforme

Juniors
hrundi99 said:

I agree 100% with what yourself and Macko8 said, and will go further i have had the ability to see all esl games during this year, i haven't worked for 8 months sold a business and are kick starting another, so money to watch footy for free.

They have both played well not exceptional but well, and as i have said before i follow canberra raiders, not canberra players, and if on form a player is better, he should have the role, we cannot get stuck in a rut for favorites sake, i love a lot of players fielding around for various reason's.

But if someone is better for the club, then so be it let them play, before judging think back, some we have had didn't gel at the club they where at, then come here and are on fire, some took longer than others, but overall the last few years we have signed more studs than duds.

I personally like the way the club is approaching things lately, something they should have done five years ago, we should be over our rebuild so to say period, but are not so what boo who, lets get over it, and have faith in the coach he has had a decision on recruitment, if it fails then go for it but until next year, I will have the belief as stated by management today, all players will start fresh, and all are able to take a position upon form and being a team player.

And as a supporter thats all i can ask, them delivering is another thing, i will withold judgement until round 4 next year.

sorry i know it's long but 4 gobble gobble's do that to you, you know what i am getting at anyway.

Raider_69

Post Whore
I want to see Dobson in the side pretty much for his short kicking game, which looks to be good from what I've seen on ESL. Our fifth tackle options in the opponents half have been horrible this entire season, and are probably the difference between us being a top 8 and top 4 side. While Smith takes the majority of the short kicks, Carney doesn't seem to offer much when he gets involved either. Could someone objective give a critique on Zillmans short kick game?

I know it Bay, 69, Woodgers or GE answer they'll say he kicks the ball like a God, and the only reason it isn't a talked up point of his game is the players in reggies aren't up to the standards of his kicks to score off them.

Actually his kicking game is the only part of football i havnt seen him excel at, but ive never thought to make a note of it given Carney and Dobson's sublime kicking games, with Withers having the odd good one
But he is by no means rubbish, just not his strongest part his game

lesson to be learnt, dont assume anything ed

raidersforme

Juniors
I want to see Dobson in the side pretty much for his short kicking game, which looks to be good from what I've seen on ESL. Our fifth tackle options in the opponents half have been horrible this entire season, and are probably the difference between us being a top 8 and top 4 side. While Smith takes the majority of the short kicks, Carney doesn't seem to offer much when he gets involved either. Could someone objective give a critique on Zillmans short kick game?

I know it Bay, 69, Woodgers or GE answer they'll say he kicks the ball like a God, and the only reason it isn't a talked up point of his game is the players in reggies aren't up to the standards of his kicks to score off them.

Like R69 has said it's not his strongest point

Have seen every game so far he has played in through fox and internet.

EG: I have seen him totally stuff it up, more than pulling it off, longer kicks sweet, but yes he is no short distance man, grubbers he can pull of, not chip and chase sorry to say it but graham and tongue will be the best at them, without seeing some of the others that are coming to us.

edabomb

First Grade
Yea well we definately need to improve our attacking fifth tackle option big time next season, will a Zillman/Carney combo do this?

Good to see some objectivity from you 69 :clap:

jed

First Grade
Raider_69 said:
well said
Adamson was one of the most under-rated players running around at the time, a rep quality player, whilst jason smith was a QLD rep and had played for his country

Dunemann was a cowboys/souths reggie, and Logan was no more then a solid FGer
While that's all true, I can't remember too many people that were jumping for joy when either Smith or Adamson signed on the dotted line, the overwhelming majority thought that Elliott was clutching at straws when he brought them back.

This time it's Golden Boy Henry that's in charge, I can't see him signing these guys just for the sake of signing them.

dubby

Bench
While Adamson was a very good player here in his prime, when he came to us it wasn't his talent that was questioned; it was his knees and whether he could last. The same with Smithy.

Lets at least give Logan and Dunemann a chance, I bet R69 cannot recall Dunemann playing at all as old Nick was still in nappies the last time Dunemann played here. FGS Nick, you couldnt remember Colella let alone Dunny! ;-)

I really dont want 07 to be the year we have to read the same old anti-Dunemann posts ALL year from the same old crew....