What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Costigan to meet with management

dubby

Bench
I have been in contact with Don Furner, and his exact words were: don’t fear we are well into Costigan.

dolphinboy

Juniors
Raider Ultra said:
Seymour? Why? We signed Dunemann and have Zillman, Campese, Carney, Herbert and Dobson that can all play in the halves..

Depth ??????

Dunemann is a dud signing IMO.

Zilly should be our full back in 2007.

Campo is more a lock or hooker type IMO

Carney or Dobson go down with injury, we are left with Dunneman - oh joy :?

Manly are also interested in Costigan. This is just part of a article I read this morning.

Wests Tigers and Manly were among the clubs last night being linked with Costigan, while the Cowboys are reportedly interested in the backrower/hooker as well as halfback Seymour.

Cullen said he hoped the pair could revive their careers elsewhere. But with the Broncos struggling on the field after four consecutive losses, he questioned their commitment and warned all other players were now on notice.

"They're both nice fellows, they're both good young fellows and they're both only 21 years of age, so it is a tough call," Cullen said. "I don't think these guys are any different to anyone else. I think we've got a problem in society with young people's drinking habits and it's the same in the footy codes.

"It's just that it is a high-profile profession and, importantly, it is now a very expensive business to run. We're talking about a $20-million-plus business each year. But out of everything like this you hope some good can come from it and I hope that they finally have got the message and that they find another club because they are very good players."

woodgers

Bench
I thought that until about a week ago Dolphin. Now i'm very keen to see Zilly at halfback and Bronx at fullback. 2 guys from PL who definitely have the quality and skill to play top grade.

Sea Eagle Scuba said:
Manly are also interested in Costigan. This is just part of a article I read this morning.

Wests Tigers and Manly were among the clubs last night being linked with Costigan, while the Cowboys are reportedly interested in the backrower/hooker as well as halfback Seymour.

Cullen said he hoped the pair could revive their careers elsewhere. But with the Broncos struggling on the field after four consecutive losses, he questioned their commitment and warned all other players were now on notice.

"They're both nice fellows, they're both good young fellows and they're both only 21 years of age, so it is a tough call," Cullen said. "I don't think these guys are any different to anyone else. I think we've got a problem in society with young people's drinking habits and it's the same in the footy codes.

"It's just that it is a high-profile profession and, importantly, it is now a very expensive business to run. We're talking about a $20-million-plus business each year. But out of everything like this you hope some good can come from it and I hope that they finally have got the message and that they find another club because they are very good players."

If Manly can afford Costigan - they are bigger cheats than the bulldogs of 2002

dubby

Bench
woodgers said:
I thought that until about a week ago Dolphin. Now i'm very keen to see Zilly at halfback and Bronx at fullback. 2 guys from PL who definitely have the quality and skill to play top grade.

Same.

aussies1st

Staff member
We've got enough problems finding places for our halves so we don't need another.

There is no way Manly can beat our offer, we have lost so many thus we should have a ton of cash.

Timbo

Staff member
He'd go well for us I reckon.

Hope management really has a crack.

Raider_69

Post Whore
woodgers said:

Me too
since settling his future Bronx has been carving PL a new one

David_B

Juniors
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,20084364-5001023,00.html

Find another club

By Mick Daly and James Hooper
August 11, 2006 12:00

SACKED and shattered, Brisbane forward Neville Costigan last night recalled the moment when coach Wayne Bennett summoned him into his Red Hill office before terminating his playing contract.

In a day of heavy discipline at Broncos headquarters, Costigan and halfback Brett Seymour were axed for being "serial off-field offenders" as Brisbane management put their entire playing roster on notice about misbehaviour.
The hardline approach comes after Costigan was charged with drink driving last Monday and Seymour was the subject of a police investigation into an alleged assault last week.
A devastated Costigan told The Daily Telegraph he consumed "eight to 12 beers" with teammates before heading home on the evening in question – then deciding to drive to the local service station around three hours later.
"I never thought I'd get punted," Costigan said.
"Wayne called me into the room, told me to sit down and said too much stuff had been happening.
"He said I had to find a new club, and to pack my bags and go home. He didn't say anything more.
"A couple of months ago he was giving me wraps for being behaved and not drinking when I was out injured.
"He only spoke to me for about a minute and then he told me to go."
An emotional Costigan described his actions as a "massive mistake", declaring he would regret the incident for the rest of his life.

"If I could take back what happened I would. I just keep thinking how good I had it," Costigan said.

Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen indicated Costigan and Seymour had breached the club's "three strikes and you're out" policy.
Cullen reiterated the Queensland club's tough approach on player misbehaviour – particularly in relation to off- field, alcohol-fuelled incidents – and stressed the sackings were a warning to the rest of the Broncos.
The sackings come eight months after Broncos coach Wayne Bennett went public about his quest to alter the drinking culture at the Broncos and in the wider rugby league community.
"We needed to actually make a stance but we're not victimising these players because they've both got a history, they're becoming if you like, serial offenders," Cullen said.
"They haven't shown any indications that they're getting the message at all.
"This is not a knee-jerk reaction to Neville's indiscretion on Monday night, we've just sat back and had a look at what these two have been up to all this time.
"There's an old saying three strikes and you're out, well there's been a few more than that.
"We needed to make a statement and send a message to everybody associated with the club that these sorts of things just aren't tolerated any more."
Costigan intends to head home to the Queensland town of Seaforth, north of Mackay, today before meeting Canberra officials to open talks next week.
"I've shed a few tears. But that won't help. I've just got to move on. There's no point crying over spilt milk," Costigan said.
"I was just going to get a few pies and a Powerade or something. I held out on telling the club because I was scared."
Named in the back-row of the Broncos starting side to face Melbourne on Sunday, Costigan is expected to be replaced by Corey Parker with Ben Hannant or Dane Carlaw called into the squad.

Bay56

First Grade
The mail from the ground commentators at the Tigers game is that Costigan is just about signed, sealed and delivered.

Paullyboy

Coach
Great news! Irwin doesnt really faze me either way, but Costigan has a lot of potential - and he brings that raw agression we've lacked for a while.

thickos

First Grade
Yeah those are the names I've heard too David_B.

Dayne Weston is 19 and played at Goulburn with Carney.