What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cotto v Martinez

abpanther

Staff member
Just announced that they will fight June 7

Should be a great fight

I think Martinez will take him but it will be very close

Thoughts?

Dr Gonzo

Juniors
Martinez takes it by late stoppage. Cotto doesnt have the power he had at 140 and 147 anymore and his chin is a little suspect after so many wars, he also is very likely to get cut up badly and lose by TKO that way.

Martinez is too busy, throws 1000 punches a fight, very awkward style, has excellent timing on his counter punches and whats more he is a lefty which is seemingly Cottos kryptonite at times. I see Martinez just being too big and too fast, he will pepper Cotto from the outside and tee off on him. Probably wont stop him straight, it will be a TKO via accumulation. Unless Martinez has got old overnight I cant see him losing to be honest. Maybe i am not being fair on Cotto, but I just feel that the Margarito fight left him with some emotional scars that will never heal and when he gets behind on the cards and starts to get peppered he will go into survival mode. In recent history, whenever he has faced a slick fighter with good foot movement and great speed and counters he has copped a real ass beating. Floyd Manny and Trout put him away with relative ease and Martinez is another beast altogether. He is bigger than all those guys i just mentioned and I believe he has better power than them as well. Styles make fights and this is not good for Cotto - a slick, south paw counter puncher with speed and great foot movement against a once elite now fading come forward boxer puncher who has leaky defence at best. Miguels only chance is to land some of his classic helacious body shots and take the wind out of Martinez sails. Attack the body and the head will fall. Unfortunately I cannot see it happening.

Martinez TKO10 Cotto

KiWi_BoI_15

Juniors
I can still hear that pop that ko'd Paul Williams. One of the nastiest knock outs ever. Martinez has got this fight, and like you Doc I got it late stoppage too.