What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Could it happen again?

Leagueguy

Juniors

Round 17 [04 Jul 03] L 16-32 v Dragons (A)
Round 18 [11 Jul 03] L 4-40 v Bulldogs (H)
Round 19 [20 Jul 03] W 26-22 v Storm (A)
Round 20 [26 Jul 03] L 20-26 v Sea Eagles (H)
Round 21 [02 Aug 03] L 10-20 v Sharks (A)
Round 22 [08 Aug 03] L 6-13 v Panthers (H)
Round 23 [16 Aug 03] L 10-12 v Tigers (H)
Round 24 [24 Aug 03] L 14-22 v Warriors (A)
Round 25 [30 Aug 03] L 14-16 v Eels (H)
Round 26 [05 Sep 03] L 25-26 v Dragons (H)
Qualifying Finals [14 Sep 03] L 18-28 v Panthers

Round 17 [04 Jul 04] W 48-28 v Souths (H)
Round 18 [09 Jul 04] W 28-14 v Dragons (A)
Round 19 [18 Jul 04] W 16-12 v Knights (A)
Round 20 [24 Jul 04] W 26-12 v Sea Eagles (H)
Round 21 [31 Jul 04] W 16-12 v Sharks (A)
Round 22 [07 Aug 04] W 21-14 v Warriors (A)
Round 23 [15 Aug 04] L 18-46 v Bulldogs (H)
Round 24 [21 Aug 04] W 24-20 v Tigers (H)
Round 25 [28 Aug 04] D 34-34 v Souths (A)
Round 26 [03 Sep 04] L 20-46 v Panthers (A)
Qualifying Finals [11 Sep 04] L 14-31 v Storm
Semi-Final [18 Sep 04] L 0-10 v Cowboys

Round 20 [22 Jul 05] L 22-29 v Bulldogs (A)
Round 21 [30 Jul 05] W 24-18 v Raiders (H)
Round 22 [07 Aug 05] L 20-21 v Sea Eagles (A)
Round 23 [14 Aug 05] L 4-24 v Dragons (H)
Round 24 [21 Aug 05] L 20-22 v Panthers (A)
Round 25 [26 Aug 05] L 10-17 v Roosters (H)
Round 26 [02 Sep 05] L 14-28 v Eels (A)
Finals Week One [10 Sep 05] L 18-24 v Storm (H)
Finals Week Two [18 Sep 05] L 6-34 v Tigers

We've reached that stage of the season again and I'm scared. Part of me says it just can't happen again, however another part of me has horrible visions of headlines in the paper like " Here we go again" or worse still "Bennett stands down". What do other people think though ? Are we set for a better ending this year?

Pierced Soul

First Grade
I think after the past few years a lot more effort has been made to ensure it doesnt happen again. It seems the mentality from the start of the year has been different and the players themselves have acknowledged it as a problem.

If they lose games from now on in, i dont expect it to be due to a lack of confidence like the past years. I think almost everyone in the squad is fit except Ennis and Hunt so there's plenty of fit bodies, and we've had a few more young players step up this year which will hopefully help keep the momentum going.

Mr Saab

Referee
I hope not.
Brisbane have had a poor ending to the past 3 yrs, but they dont lost by 20 plus all that often.

broncoman

Juniors
i think its gonna happen again, i cant see whats different this year compared to those years, possibly we will be fortunate in a way that Hodges ad Hunt will be fresh at the end of the season, but i cant see much else changing...

salivor

First Grade
Let's not forget:
Round 16 – L 12-28 v Parramatta (H)
Round 17 – W 44-10 v Wests Tigers (A)
Round 18 – L 0-44 v Newcastle (A)
Round 19 – W 48-12 v New Zealand (H)
Round 20 – L 30-37 v Canterbury (H)
Round 21 – L 28-32 v Melbourne (A)
Round 22 – L 16-30 v Easts (H)
Round 23 – L 18-20 v St George-Illawara (A)
Round 24 – L 16-24 v Cronulla (A)
Round 25 – L 18-40 v Canberra (H)
Round 26 – W 42-14 v Northern Eagles (A)
Qualifying Final – L 6-22 v Cronulla (A)
Semi-Final – W 44-28 v St George-Illawara (A)
Preliminary Final – L 16-24 v Parramatta (A)

Round 22 – L 28-18 v Easts (H)
Round 23 – L 4-18 v Warriors (A)
Round 24 – L 10-40 v Newcastle (A)
Round 25 – W 36-2 v Canberra (H)
Round 26 – L 18-25 v Canterbury (A)
Qualifying Final – W 24-14 v Parramatta (H)
Preliminary Final – L 12-16 v Easts (A)

It's one of the reasons why I'm finding it so tough to get into the season at the moment, as much as faith as I'd like to have in the team, the last 5 years has shown that theres a huge mental hill to climb this year. We had the same talk from players last year that they were going to beat the end of season slump yet it still happened and I honestly feel it will happen again as we've had no luck with injuries this year and have a very tough draw for the run home. My real worry is if we slide like 2003 or 2001 then we may even fail to make the 8.

Meanie

Juniors
The last 2 years it's been that round 23 clash at Suncorp on a Sunday arvo that's really been the beginning of the end and this year no different, Storm at Suncorp on a Sunday arvo.

I don't think we'll win the comp this year but I don't think the end of year slide will hit us as bad.

Mr Saab

Referee
salivor said:
It's one of the reasons why I'm finding it so tough to get into the season at the moment, as much as faith as I'd like to have in the team, the last 5 years has shown that theres a huge mental hill to climb this year. We had the same talk from players last year that they were going to beat the end of season slump yet it still happened and I honestly feel it will happen again as we've had no luck with injuries this year and have a very tough draw for the run home. My real worry is if we slide like 2003 or 2001 then we may even fail to make the 8.

We wont miss the 8 in 2006.
After that, it is an unknown. We have lost our last 6 finals games.

salivor

First Grade
Mr Saab said:
We wont miss the 8 in 2006.
After that, it is an unknown. We have lost our last 6 finals games.

It's a real possibility if we don't string together a win before the season is out and looking at our draw there is no guaranteed 2 points there. It's a glass half empty view but after the last 5 years I'm going to expect the worst, that way theres the possibility of being pleasently surprised (fingers crossed).

Leagueguy

Juniors
It's kind of ridiculous that were running third on the lader and have competed well against all the top teams. yet we're preparing ourselves to lose 7 games in a row. Maybe we'll break the losing streak in the best way possible though. It could work to our advantage if the pain felt by guys like Lockyer, Petero and Webcke creates a burning hunger in the team. I thought Lockyer had a look on his face in Origin that said I'm not losing tonight whatever happens. I think he and other players in the team will have a similar attitude in the finals, so hopefully desire gets them over the line.

Mr Saab

Referee
salivor said:
It's a real possibility if we don't string together a win before the season is out and looking at our draw there is no guaranteed 2 points there. It's a glass half empty view but after the last 5 years I'm going to expect the worst, that way theres the possibility of being pleasently surprised (fingers crossed).

We have some very winnable games
Cowboys..i think we can.
tigers at home...no benji.
We have Canberra down there...not easy, but not impossible.
Storm at home...we can do it
Dogs away...tough.
Eels away, tough depending on where they will be on the table (what they have to play for...still in 8 contention)
Warriors at home...seriously.

We will make the 8....i have no fears there.

PARANoIR

Bench
I think this year will be much better for the Broncos after previous years, there's really only 2 or 3 games in your run home where you will have a serious concern.

In my opinion the Broncos will be one of 3 teams fighting it out for a grand final birth.

renouf

Juniors
It all comes down to how fresh is Darren Lockyer? He had quiet preseason, and didn't play for most of the Tri Nations.. he SHOULD be fresher then previous seasons. For mine the key is him staying fit leading into the finals, and in the past 2 seasons he has picked up an injury around this time and been missing for a good 4-5 weeks. That's what hurt us in 2004 and 2005 I believe.

Kingytek

Juniors
The Bronco squad average age is down on previous years and I believe this will help dramatically. I think Broncos will be there in semi's time maybe even the GF either against storm, dragons or dogs

Nevcost

Juniors
I think our squad looks the best it has in years and a lot of our youngsters have been at the club for about 3 years or more and know what's expected of them and the rookies have stepped up. Annother good thing is there doesn't seem to be a lot of expectation on us then other teams like there is for the Storm, Dragons and Bulldogs

Kilkenny

Coach
It's not often I cheer for the Bronco's but I certainly was this evening and I had banked on a comfortable Bronco's victory to help the cause of the Panthers.

While not wishing to detract from a very gutsy performance from the Cowboys it was a really pathetic and inept performance from the Bronco's.

While the bronco's have enough breathing space to ensure they will finish in the top 4 on tonight's performance you are making up the numbers and are not serious contenders.

And before you guys tell me in no uncertain terms to get out of your forum and bag me I say that on the basis I would must prefer rather a Bronco's premiership as opposed to the Storm, Bulldogs or Dragon's!

parra pete

Referee
Yippee_Wippee said:
this from a parramatta fan.

We only choke in finals. The Broncos choke seven weeks out..
Or as Slim Dusty sang' 'When their hopes tumble down in July':D :D :D

Meanie

Juniors
Kilkenny said:
While the bronco's have enough breathing space to ensure they will finish in the top 4

Noooo we don't. The one thing the Broncos of this year don't have in common with the Broncos of the previous 5 years is breathing space.

Latest posts