What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Could League go to Ten?

mavdog

Juniors
lol

so you don't mind comparing the NRL and Better Homes ratings but when someone compares them with AFL you chuck a tanty. exactly like Danny boy

dickhead

The only one chucking a tantrum is you, as usual. I couldnt care less what the AFL rates. You, on the other hand, are obsessed by it. I've lived in Sydney, I've lived in Melbourne, I know which code has better market penetration, in both their heartlands and in their expansion markets.

Surely there is some point in comparing live NRL to Better Homes and Gardens? NRL runs 7:30pm-9:30pm and for the first half of it, is in direct competition with it. By comparison, the AFL is shown on a three hour delay in Perth and runs until 11:30pm. That will obviously have an effect on its average rating.

I'm just saying that your thread, and your knowledge of ratings, is misguided.

edit

Everyone of your posts so far is about AFL, so that's kind of a weird comment.

And everyone of El's posts is AFL related, so the point is valid. And El's subsequent posting in this thread (denigrating it into an AFL thread) is further validity for what I said.

Last edited:

m0nty

Juniors
I agree with El Diablo actually, football (of whatever stripe) is not why Nine has lost its market leadership. But I don't think that point is all that relevant, because to Nine management, they think AFL is of vital strategic importance to them, and that is what is going to shape the AFL contract and then the NRL contract. They may be wrong in their assumptions, but that is what they are going to work from and that is all that matters to rugby league.

You can argue regional vs cities, Oztam vs Nielsen and NSW/Qld vs the rest all you like, but when it comes down to it, it's a bunch of blokes in suits sitting in boardrooms making decisions based on their own prejudices and preconceptions. If they think rugby league is going to play second fiddle to AFL in the negotiations, that's how it's going to play out.

By the by, who was the genius who thought up the idea that NRL media rights were sold on the same five-year cycle as the AFL but negotiated the year after? That has to change if the NRL is going to get full value, because otherwise they'll always get sloppy seconds from Demetriou.

El Diablo

Post Whore
By the by, who was the genius who thought up the idea that NRL media rights were sold on the same five-year cycle as the AFL but negotiated the year after?

gallopcup7.jpg

Alex28

Coach
The Fin Review did a big article about this today. If 7 and 9 get the rights to AFL we are completely f***ed. If they aren't interested in Rugby League no one else (besides Foxtel) has any decent coin to throw at League. Ten aren't exactly the most financial TV Station about...

We are NO CHANCE of getting a Billion bucks for the rights. No chance.

El Diablo

Post Whore
the FTA networks will have the anti-siphoning rules to stop pay from being able to bid and will therefore only offer a pittance because they know the NRL will have no choice but to accept it

i predict we will get less than the last deal

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
The Fin Review did a big article about this today. If 7 and 9 get the rights to AFL we are completely f***ed. If they aren't interested in Rugby League no one else (besides Foxtel) has any decent coin to throw at League. Ten aren't exactly the most financial TV Station about...

We are NO CHANCE of getting a Billion bucks for the rights. No chance.

Jeff Wall mentioned that http://www.leagueunlimited.com/article.php?newsid=18338

Alex28

Coach
I actually think separating the rep rights from the NRL rights will probably end up making them less money. Origin is the key rating instrument that League has. Without it the NRL really isn't a worthwhile experience - not tremendous ratings, high costs to produce. Wouldn't surprise me if Nine didn't get Origin that they wouldn't bother with League at all (or if they did get Origin and had to pay some decent coin for it they didn't bother with the NRL).

m0nty

Juniors
Key points of the Fin Review article:

- AFL wants $1 billion
- Seven paid way over Ten's $10m/year for V8 in 2006 by paying $28m/year, but they managed to squeeze $26m/year in advertising out of it where Ten had only managed $13m
- Rugby rights come up first, News have first Australian bidding rights until end of August
- Super 15 will now be split into three conferences with five teams from each country
- Super 15 will have a longer season of 18 games: two games against teams in conference, one game against the other ten teams
- Due to this expansion of games, SANZAR is expecting 35% increase in rights revenue in all countries including Australia, up from the US$323m for 5 years that News and SuperSport paid in 2006
- Gallop "is considering" and "envisages" splitting club and rep contracts
- Gallop also talking about splitting off Monday night footy
- A-League up for bids again after 2012/13 and Frank Lowy wants a FTA component this time
- Talk of Telstra moving behind the scenes to control AFL rights for TV by buying into Premier (which runs Fox Sports)
- FTA networks are lobbying the government, which has to rejig the anti-siphoning list before the expiration of the current one at the end of 2010, to allow them to show listed sport events on digital channels (media executives pessimistic on this though)
- Gyngell of Nine says "Unless the government changes the rules, we won't be showing sport on Go."

Secondary article on AFL

- Harold Mitchell reckons AFL will get $1 billion
- Three months ago, David Leckie of Seven took Demetriou to lunch and offered him $820m with all the same conditions as the last one (Seven/Ten/Fox Sports sharing)
- Demetriou was keen and sent a proposal for a game schedule but Ten "baulked", saying the last contract was inflated
- Ten executives kept stonewalling, Leckie's interest faded and now there's no deal on the table.

Alex28

Coach
I can't see the AFL getting $1 Billion either. Nine and Ten are drowning in debt, Seven isn't exactly swimming in cash either. Nine have paid a fortune for the Olympics as well. Both codes will struggle to get what they got last time.

m0nty

Juniors
It should also be pointed out that the $780m that the AFL got last time wasn't all in cash, a significant portion of it was in advertising contra. They might get a lot more of that in a new deal, so expect to see lots of free marketing for the expansion teams in NSW/Qld.

pedge

Juniors
how can the afl expect to get $1b next deal...thats $220m more then last time, without kerry packer to pump up the price, and in an economic climate that is five times worse...just doesnt make sense!​

brad_19

Juniors
Forgive me if this has been mentioned elsewhere in the thread, can't be bothered reading the full 5 pages.

But anyway, IMO, one area where the AFL looks after it's fans outside of Victoria, is that EVERY match the local teams play, not just the ones that are broadcast on free-to-air, are televised on FTA, meaning every match is broadcast into the local markets. We are lucky to get 1 match broadcast at a reasonable time...

For example - West Coast play Sydney on a match covered by Fox Sports. That match WILL be broadcast live into both Perth and Sydney to cater for the local markets. Imagine the day when 9 show Storm matches broadcast by Fox Sports into Melbourne (obviously not going to happen in the Gallop era). Obviously getting the 9 matches live first is something that has to be brought into the next contract, but I'd love to see us catch up to the AFL in this area down the track.

EDIT - I know they would get smashed into the ratings, but the AFL forces the clause into their contract. We should do the same to the next broadcaster (most likely 9 again).

Last edited:

mavdog

Juniors
It should also be pointed out that the $780m that the AFL got last time wasn't all in cash, a significant portion of it was in advertising contra. They might get a lot more of that in a new deal, so expect to see lots of free marketing for the expansion teams in NSW/Qld.

There's also a sizeable radio contract as well. Somewhere around 50 million dollars just for the 'A' broadcasters (3AW and MMM). Not sure what the 'B' broadcasters paid (SEN and ABC).

parano1a

Juniors
AFL is not why 9 are up the sh*t in Melbourne or any other city. Getting them won't return them to the top either.

9 won the ratings year after year and never had AFL rights.

9 lose just about every day of the week except Thursdays.

Um, why do you think they win Thursdays? The Footy Show. And not the Fatty Vautin version.

bobmar28

Bench
One of the problems with the Ten option is that they're perfectly happy being second banana in the AFL deal to whoever wants Friday night AFL, because they can make money on their Saturday schedule without exposing the rest of their week to it.

Would Seven or Nine be happy just getting AFL on Saturdays? Could Nine get their finger into both pies, e.g. pinch Ten's AFL Saturday and keep NRL on Friday and Monday? That's a lot of sport on weekends, and Ten would be free to think up more Masterchef type non-sport stuff to pick them off, which they're good at (sporadically). Plus I'm not sure Seven would buy that scenario.

Whichever way it goes, it looks like NRL will be the steak knives.

Masterchef? How would that work on ONE HD?

bobmar28

Bench
And this is a ridiculous position to be in. It's not like we are talking about tiny farming communities here. They are ignoring places like Newcastle and Wollongong. I've said it before but there is no reason to ignore places like this. Companies who advertise on FTA through the NRL get a great deal as the huge regional audience is basically just a freebie.

As for capital cities we aren't doing to badly. We still dominate the 2 of the 3 main capital cities where AFL is desperate to get in on the action. We also have a growing presence in Melbourne and hopefully the next tv deal ensures FTA into Melbourne. Add in a Perth team and the NRL will IMO be stronger than the AFL in capital cities.

If a tv company gives the AFL that much they are going to struggle massively financially over the next few years. The only one of the 3 who could come close to affording something like that is 7 and unlike the other 2 stations i think they are smart enough not to throw away that much money.

National TV ratings for Sunday. NRL = 460,000 (2 cities). AFL = 399,000 (5 cities).

Last edited: