What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Could we see Flash Gordon at Cronulla early?

wolverine

Juniors
Dean Ritchie and Christian Nicolussi
The Daily Telegraph

June 29, 2012
MICHAEL Gordon's continued requests for an immediate release from Penrith to join Cronulla have come to nothing.

This week the Panthers released Sandor Earl to the Raiders and Nafe Seluini to the Roosters but they won't allow Gordon to transfer before the June 30 deadline.
Sharks coach Shane Flanagan will lobby Panthers management over the next 24 hours but his hopes are not high.Gordon has signed a three-year deal to play for Cronulla from next season but wants to move now.
Sources claim Cronulla are willing to pay Penrith about $80,000 to have Gordon for the rest of this season.
"I don't know where Penrith are at in regards to their salary cap," Flanagan said as he prepared for tonight's match against Brisbane at Suncorp Stadium.

"If they have salary cap issues, this is an opportunity for that to be eased.
"It seems Ivan (Cleary) has knocked it on the head. I am not sure why they wouldn't want to help their cap.
"There are still two days to go, so we will continue to talk to them.
"His (Gordon's) manager has had the request denied, so it doesn't look promising."
Cronulla expect to get injured players Anthony Tupou and Nathan Gardner back over the next six weeks.
Meanwhile, Flanagan hopes the Sharks can use their first Friday night game on Channel 9 this year to prove they are still a force without superstars Paul Gallen and Todd Carney.
"Todd is a loss and an important part of our team and the way we play, while 'Gal' is just so inspirational when he's fit and healthy," Flanagan said.
"But we've won three of the four games without Gal. We've always had a good squad, and this is a really good chance for us to stand up and prove we can win regularly without anyone.
"Chad Townsend comes in (for Carney) and he's done a great job for us. And we get Wade Graham back, who didn't miss a game for us last year and has been real steady on that left edge."
The Broncos will be without several Origin stars but Flanagan said they still have their starting fullback, halves and hooker.
Cronulla also have a shocking record against Brisbane, having lost 21 of 24 games. The last time they beat them was at Suncorp Stadium in 2004.
Brisbane coach Anthony Griffen said: "We picked 17, the same 17 trained today. We will be OK."

Source:
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ave-club-in-2012/story-e6frexnr-1226411530120

Card Shark

Immortal
I'm not too worried if Gordon doesn't come. We ain't winnin the comp this year irrespective, so keeping that ace in the back pocket for next year is important.

carcharias

Immortal
If we can score 50 points against anyone I will get excited.
Until then .. We are no chance ,
Gotta be able to score points.

GreatWhiteShark

Juniors
If we can score 50 points against anyone I will get excited.
Until then .. We are no chance ,
Gotta be able to score points.

I argue defence is more important as an indicator this far into the season. In 15 rounds, only one side has put more than 30 points on us (the Rabbitohs in round 9). We've kept the Storm, Sea Eagles, Dragons and Warriors all to less than 20 points, too. I think that's pretty impressive!

carcharias

Immortal
I argue defence is more important as an indicator this far into the season. In 15 rounds, only one side has put more than 30 points on us (the Rabbitohs in round 9). We've kept the Storm, Sea Eagles, Dragons and Warriors all to less than 20 points, too. I think that's pretty impressive!

Oh that is all good. I agree...but

We just don't have a big score in us.
Our trys are fairly unspectacular...we don't seem to have freakish point scorers that you need in big matches

wolverine

Juniors

I really think this is a great stat.

Special K

Coach
I'd love it to happen and there is still plenty of time... Just depends on what cash we have around - which does not fill me with hope.

Since 73

First Grade
Pretty confident eh.
Pointless not to.

1. The bloke wants out - he wants to play semi football this year. So imagine how hard he's gonna push himself for the remainder of the year if forced to stay at pennies. in fact if he's got any brains he won't come back - he's stitched up for the next 3 years, why come back and play for Cleary and risk reinjuring - He'll be saying...'one more week' - for the next 14 weeks. What are they gonna do - sack him. All he'll be doing is hanging around in a corner with jennings, Coote and Lewis - all sticking the knife into Cleary.

2. Pennies season is gone. What's achieved...they're 80k worse off.

3. Bad PR on this one now...He's a popular player, SOO player. Cleary is looking like the bad dictator. Taking the c from Lewis. punting Jennings and Coote. Now he's in the paper again....maybe needs an image change. Doesn't seem like the best bloke to play under.

SharkShocked

Bench
With all of that then, you'd think he would already be here.

Care to enlighten me as to why it will go down to the last minute for it to happen? If you are under so confiden it will.

Ads

First Grade
Hopefully they can sort something out. If he can play and play well we will be a much bigger threat if we make the finals. A fullback of his quality is what we need.

SharkShocked

Bench
Dollars and cents. Professional sport is like house-hunting - offers and counter offers.

You would think with the window of opportunity rapidly closing, that this would have been worked out earlier in the week.

I am prepared to say that i don't believe it will happen in the last 24 hours, simply because it don't believe we are trying that hard to get him here now.

Make of that what you will.

Since 73

First Grade
Originally Posted by SharkShocked
Care to enlighten me as to why it will go down to the last minute for it to happen?

friggen money...they want to squeeze every last dollar they can out of us.

we'll pay more than the 80 large.

Plus it's the man - cleary is a tuff little nugget and it's his way or the highway. Gordon will come but Cleary wants him - and us - to know that it was only on his say so.

wolverine

Juniors
Hopefully they can sort something out. If he can play and play well we will be a much bigger threat if we make the finals. A fullback of his quality is what we need.

I agree completely. We can only hope that it does happen.