What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Courier Mail-Fight Back

Heritage XIII

Juniors
Need some assistance people.

The Courier Mail's chief sports editor is Victorian and today's edition is prime example of his influence. In a round of only 3 AFL games (no Brisbane Lions game)there was 4 pages of AFL to the NRL's 4 pages including a whole page on Matty Bowen's nephew playing AFL.

This amazes me considering all of AFL's support here in QLD attend the Lions game with TV ratings not that much better than the Swans.

Added, while many of the stories are the usual sensationalism crap writers go on about in the NRL, the match reports of the AFL games are greater than those of the NRL!

I do not appreciate AFL's popularity being inflated like this.
Brian Burke profile:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/opinion/profiletemplate?profile=1225825502612

burkeb@qnp.newsltd.com.au

Cc Editor in Chief (David Fagan)
fagand@qnp.newsltd.com.au

Brutus

Referee
What annoys me about the Courier Mail is they give the same space for a Fremantle v Nth Melbourne write up as they would for a Cowboys match...and we all know what the readers would care more about.

If ever there was a paper that gives a code a leg up it's the CM and AFL. There is no way it should be getting evena third of the coverage of RL.

If only highly-regarded QLD Cup state league comp could attract 2 percent of the coverage AFL gets in that paper.

Good post. Four pages devoted to AFL (the same as league) on a non-Lions' weekend is an absolute disgrace. Is Steve Ricketts the only born and bred Brisbane person left in the sports section of that paper?

Last edited:

hineyrulz

Post Whore
That paper has turned into a joke, how long has this Victorian been the sports editor???

dont read it. they only cover 2 teams in the NRL and an occasional 3rd one.

Best way to fight it is stop buying it. You can get all the stories on any of the websites that cover news.

Ive stopped buying papers for awhile now between sites like this and the other news sites basically everything gets covered.

Heritage XIII

Juniors
I think this editor has been there for a while. Yes it's a disgrace when an all Victorian game gets as much space as a cowboys or titans game.

applesauce

Bench
Dear Brian,

I am writing to you in response to the bias in which your influence has brought to the Sports section of the Courier Mail. I have been a consistent reader and customer of the CM and this morning I found it amazing you give the AFL 4pages during a split round with no Lions game. While the NRL also get 4 pages but has had a full round and a great bunch of games involving all three QLD teams. There isn't enough AFL fans in Brisbane to warrant this support for the AFL or if there is, there is far more support for the NRL than the 4 pages you gave us today...

I guess this can be expected coming from an ex-Victorian and a News Ltd paper. Just because there is no dirt to dish up to the NRL this weekend to sell some papers doesn't mean Brisbane's fans don't want to hear about the games over the weekend and fallouts/injuries as a result of losses/wins.

BrisbaneTimes.com.au might be my next stop for local news from now on.

Thanks

applesauce

Bench
Dead set this was my reply:

Aaron,

Thanks for the email and positive feedback. Always appreciate it.

All the best,
Brian Burke | Sports Editor, The Courier-Mail

Don't know if this was automated or he is taking the piss...

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
It is pretty f**ked up tbh, the AFL gets an incredibly disproportionate amount of coverage in the paper.

Saying 'don't buy it' won't make a difference as it's the only paper in the state.

Seeing as his greatest moment was watching the Swans win I don't think any amount of emails will change his mind... We need to get in touch with his boss.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
as a comparison the weekend papers here in the West normally run 10-12 pages of AFL and less than one page NRL.

Heritage XIII

Juniors
I got the same response. I also sent an email to his boss as well. But it's a disgrace newltd are whittling away at rugby league's support.

hellteam

First Grade
This is an absolute joke, I've been following this since Heritage posted this a while back, and have a look at the Courier Mail online front page at the moment.

Look at this

28076413.png

Grand Final Week - and the top story is James Hird coaching Essondon. Who gives a f*ck? Not to mention the second story is about an A-League player...

Don't know how much this sports editor has to do with this, but it's bullsh*t. I haven't even seen anything on that page about Daniel Anderson getting the sack, which far more people would care about, and for them to have nothing about the grand final there is ridiculous.

Highway1

Juniors
Dear Brian,

I am writing to you in response to the bias in which your influence has brought to the Sports section of the Courier Mail. I have been a consistent reader and customer of the CM and this morning I found it amazing you give the AFL 4pages during a split round with no Lions game. While the NRL also get 4 pages but has had a full round and a great bunch of games involving all three QLD teams. There isn't enough AFL fans in Brisbane to warrant this support for the AFL or if there is, there is far more support for the NRL than the 4 pages you gave us today...

I guess this can be expected coming from an ex-Victorian and a News Ltd paper. Just because there is no dirt to dish up to the NRL this weekend to sell some papers doesn't mean Brisbane's fans don't want to hear about the games over the weekend and fallouts/injuries as a result of losses/wins.

BrisbaneTimes.com.au might be my next stop for local news from now on.

Thanks

The Queensland Times (Ipswich newspaper) FTW bro.

The Tank

Bench
Noticed the AFL influence the other day. Checked online (meant to visit DT but hit the wrong link) and the main news was AFL, no NRL until I clicked sport. Odd for a Queensland paper.

Brutus

Referee
This is an absolute joke, I've been following this since Heritage posted this a while back, and have a look at the Courier Mail online front page at the moment.

Look at this

28076413.png

Grand Final Week - and the top story is James Hird coaching Essondon. Who gives a f*ck? Not to mention the second story is about an A-League player...

Don't know how much this sports editor has to do with this, but it's bullsh*t. I haven't even seen anything on that page about Daniel Anderson getting the sack, which far more people would care about, and for them to have nothing about the grand final there is ridiculous.

Absolutely pathetic.

You would think AFL was on par with RL for popularity going by the Courier Mail.

The Daniel Anderson sacking should be a far bigger story in Brisbane than some new coach at a Melbourne AFL club.

The Victorian influence in Brisbane is very strong and it's slowly creeping into Sydney.