What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Courier Mail-Fight Back

Lambretta

First Grade
[FONT=&quot]Dear David[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I was on a business trip to Brisbane and picked up a copy of the courier mail.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I was appalled to read the alleged sports section of your paper that during the Rugby League Grand Final week appeared to be focussing on events in Victoria in a sport that few Queenslanders pay attention to.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In the meantime, Rugby League a sport in which Queensland was being represented in the Finals series by the Gold Coast Titans, was largely ignored.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Can you please provide some feedback as to your disregard of the greatest game played in the great State of Queensland.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I look forward to your response with interest.[/FONT]

gUt

Coach
Same thing on the main page of the ABC's website plus interviews on ABC local radio Brisbane - always more stories/interviews to do with the southern game.

Perth Red

Post Whore
people seem to miss the point we are at war with AFL and the media is the front line. Perception is reality and the more the perception is that AFL is a National game and of relevance to everyone in the country the greater their claim to be Australias number one game will be. With that comes better media deals, more govt support, better corporate deals etc.

Time we got on the front foot and took the battle to them. Just how big is the NRL's media department I wonder?

MsStorm

Bench
people seem to miss the point we are at war with AFL and the media is the front line. Perception is reality and the more the perception is that AFL is a National game and of relevance to everyone in the country the greater their claim to be Australias number one game will be. With that comes better media deals, more govt support, better corporate deals etc.

Time we got on the front foot and took the battle to them. Just how big is the NRL's media department I wonder?

You're on the money. The sooner we get a couple more Interstate teams like WA/SA or NT in the NRL comp, the more exposure rugby league will get.

But the problem we have now is that afl pay for this extra media coverage, and unless the NRL generates extra income, it will fall further behind.

Just on the subject of James Hird, that guy will no doubt land a spot on the afl commission sooner than later.

Just a day or so after the draw in the afl grandfinal, he was only one of the few media people who agreed there should be a replay of the game, because in his opinion, it ate into the nrl g/final weekend and would aid the afl with their push into NSW and Q;ld and grab the hearts and minds of the youngsters in those states.

Afterall he had a good teacher, his old coach Kevin Sheedy:lol:

Brutus

Referee

Ablett Jr set to stay in Queensland

GARY Ablett Jr is splashing around on an exclusive Whitsunday Islands beach – and the AFL superstar says he is in Queensland to stay.
Alfie regrets drunken Dragons jibe

BRONCOS legend Allan Langer regrets the infamous "St George can't play" gibe, but insists it was not sparked by any bad blood with veteran coach Brian Smith.
1 comment on this story

Headline story on the CM's website today. It's NRL GF week and fumbleball is leading the sports news.

What a friggin joke.

Last edited:

Bubbles

Juniors
My husband and I lived in QLD for a while earlier this year and we were absolutely shocked at how insular the QLD people and their media were. Trying to find news of NSW teams (or NSW anything, really) was like finding a needle in a haystack. In my opinion this is why QLD will never be the RL heartland that some idiots in our game bleat on about - heads too far up their own clackers!

Brutus

Referee
My husband and I lived in QLD for a while earlier this year and we were absolutely shocked at how insular the QLD people and their media were. Trying to find news of NSW teams (or NSW anything, really) was like finding a needle in a haystack. In my opinion this is why QLD will never be the RL heartland that some idiots in our game bleat on about - heads too far up their own clackers!

You've got a better chance of finding out about the Essendon Bumbers than say the Parramatta Eels. The latter being far more popular.

The Brisbane doesn't even give the local QLD Cup the time of day.

Mong

Post Whore

Incorrect. It is, and always will be a massive heartland. Those of us here who arnt broncos, titans or cowboys fans pay no attention to the courier mail. There is a very easy way to find info on other teams, it's called the Internet..

Goddo

Bench
I wonder how much the AFL is paying for this coverage. They pay to have their stories covered in the TV news first.

chrisc101

Juniors
Massive issue which needs to addressed on a number of fronts. Other examples of the spread of influence is:

- Go to a local bookstore in Sydney, you can find 1,000's of books written by some AFL guy who I've never heard of. More AFL than RL books. How the hell did this happen?

- Go to local sports store in Sydney, they usually now stock all AFL teams, WTF! You cannot tell me this is driven by demand, the AFL has done a deal with these retailers. Go to a Melbourne sports store and you find a single Storm and QLD jersey.

- Non news media reports always favouring AFL. Hats off to Channel 7, they back their sport to the hilt. Channel 9 just roll over when you'd think they would want to push RL to drive ratings. Has to be negotiated in next tv deal.

bobmar28

Bench
Same thing on the main page of the ABC's website plus interviews on ABC local radio Brisbane - always more stories/interviews to do with the southern game.

Yes the ABC's love affair with AFL continues. On ABC radio yesterday I heard the comment "who's going to win the grand final". They were talking about AFL not NRL.

gregstar

Referee
Incorrect. It is, and always will be a massive heartland. Those of us here who arnt broncos, titans or cowboys fans pay no attention to the courier mail. There is a very easy way to find info on other teams, it's called the Internet..
agreed.

GCR

Juniors
GARY Ablett Jr is splashing around on an exclusive Whitsunday Islands beach – and the AFL superstar says he is in Queensland to stay.

Does this pelican have alopecia? And, more importantly, does he enjoy leaving teenage girls to die of drug overdoses and then refusing to cooperate with police?

babyg

Juniors
FMD I'm struggling see any hype around the grand final this week. What hapenned to the GF festival. When is the today show going to broadcast live from Woolloongong like they did all last week. Saw the Ablet thing this morning, what a joke. I'm hoping the ratings this Sunday are strong to shut these f**kers up and put them in their place.

Latest posts